Who do you think of when you think about the big players in the VPS market?

InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
edited August 2020 in General

As per the title who do you think of when you think about "strong and stable" or "market leaders", I am not really talking about the small players but the big boys.

That is not necessarily a question of quality/raw performance, more the brand.

For me, the top tier is:

• DO
  • Linode
  • Vultr
  • Hetzner
  • OVH

Can you think of anyone else that should be in the list or do you agree/disagree with those?

For clarity those are just the names that immediately come to mind with zero effort, no thinking required.

I am asking as I plan to do a long term test and in-depth comparison much like: https://lowendspirit.com/a-full-24-hour-long-benchmark-and-server-tests-server-it-and-hostodo to see who deserves to be there and to set a baseline for future similar posts.

https://inceptionhosting.com
Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Thanked by (2)jureve Janevski

Comments

• Scaleway
    Virmach

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited August 2020

Vultr
    Hetzner
    Upcloud
    OVH

Never used DO nor Linode

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Amazon
    • Google
    • Microsoft
    • DO
    • Linode
    • Vultr
    • Amazon / Google / Microsoft
    Thanked by (1)Abdullah
  • Burst.net :)

• The hourly billing crowd, mostly. DO, Linode, Vultr and UpCloud (although I dislike Vultr), then OVH, Hetzner. Oracle Cloud is also pretty decent for a number of usecases now (exotic locations, cheap pricing for VMs and bandwidth).

Sure, the big 3 exist (GCP, AWS and Azure), but besides some AWS services (Lightsail, SES, S3, Route53 etc.), they aren't that interesting. Certainly wouldn't use them for VPSes, mostly due to costs (actual VM, bandwidth etc.)

• I agree with your list 100%, but I’ll add AWS to the list, considering they also have lightsail available everywhere around the world for a great price!

From the low end market, I think about ramnode and virmach.

Thanked by (1)Nick_A
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@bibble said:

• Amazon
    • Google
    • Microsoft

lol how could I forget those?

I have a confession, I have never even heard of UpCloud.

Thanked by (2)jureve Hxxx

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2020

-Alibaba cloud
    -Oracle Cloud
    -IBM cloud
    -Siteground ( if the FB groups on WP are to be believed)

Thanked by (2)vimalware Abdullah
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Hetzner
    OVH
    Vultr
    Google
    Microsoft
    (AWS)

• Hetzner is my top one. If you have an account there, you life is already successful ;)

I'm going to try Ramnode, people here say it's a top-notch service and uptime. If someone has benches, I would be glad to see.

@AnthonySmith said: I have a confession, I have never even heard of UpCloud.

Not worth your attention. They proudly declare that they are the best, they even give some charts/graphs/stats, but in fact, when you test their VPS, you understand that these charts/graphs/stats can only be used for wiping the butt. Liars.

Thanked by (1)Nick_A
  • In the VPS market
    DO
    Linode
    Vultr
    Lightsail
    Hetzner cloud
    Lunanode

In the "cloud" market
    AWS
    Azure
    Google
    Alibaba
    Oracle

• @flips said:

• DO
    • Linode
    • Vultr
    • Amazon / Google / Microsoft

Heh, meant to have Hetzner in this list. :#

That said, in my world both Inception Hosting and Nexus Bytes are big players, but objectively probably not BIG compared to those above ... :# <3

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Leaseweb maybe ?

• edited August 2020

DO
    Linode
    Vultr
    Hetzner
    (All big players in Low end pricing)

AWS
    Google
    Microsoft
    (Obvious big boys)

Then we have the ones we don't consider but are actually big in terms of # of clients (they screw over):

Godaddy
    Namecheap
    Network solutions
    1n1

I'm always shocked at just how many clients those 4 have

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    I have a confession, I have never even heard of UpCloud.

Upcloud has a tech named Samir who gets my vote. Upcloud's other techs also are great! If you ask them a question, they actually answer the question you asked, not some other question. They link you explicitly to an external resource or at least mention helpful external resources. Fast response time, twenty minutes maybe. If you fat finger something, they fix it.

Matrix.org is hosted on Upcloud. Here is a link to a 2017 tweet from @matrixdotorg about Upcloud bonnie++:

There was a well publicized hack of matrix.org awhile back, but the hack was not the fault of Upcloud.

I'm not running anything at Upcloud at the moment, but they seem like real nice folks to me.

• I think of Google Cloud because this is Low End here, and GCloud seems to offer a permanently free low end instance. Or at least free until they decide to start charging. Permanent is a long time. :)

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@tom said:
    I think of Google Cloud because this is Low End here, and GCloud seems to offer a permanently free low end instance. Or at least free until they decide to start charging. Permanent is a long time. :)

Just realized! Great catch. Oracle also has something like that.

Thanked by (2)WJJ tom
  • Leaseweb
    Aruba Cloud

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

ITT: Apparently nobody knows

Are there any objective metrics available for this sort of stuff?

• All of the obvious ones are already written, so I'll mention someone different.

Tilaa.com anyone? Not giant like DO or AWS, however I had a FreeBSD box with them for like 2-3 years and it has been rock-solid all the way. Very professional company, top notch performance and support, cool features, pricing in the DO/Linode range. Single location though (NL).

I left them for the lower-end market ~5 years ago, so take that with a grain of salt.

• I think Microsoft, AWS, Google and Oracle.

Microsoft and AWS runs like money isn't an issue for the customer.
    Google runs like they think Support isn't necessary for the customer.
    Oracle being a clusterfuck ran by morons.

Thanked by (2)bdl rcy026
  • I was with EUKHost for about a decade 'cos they ran vmware with 'true' cloud 100% SLA HA on enterprise storage. Was a bit of a premium price for the actual server specs but worth it overall. They eventually ditched it in favour on Hyper-V and wanted everyone to move over to it. FO! Windoze server running linux VM - gimme a break. Their so-called HA was a misnomer, given the lack of redundant network links and continuing disc array issues. Their Support got progressively worse too.
    At one time I'd have considered them a big player (they even sponsor Linux Mint) but now..

I've sacrificed HA but gained much more in the way of remote backups and idling "fallback" (VPS) servers. A few of you now get a slice of my diminishing pie (meagre profit) but now at least I don't have all my eggs in the one basket of a big player. A lesson learnt?

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Besides those mentioned, back in the day there was Rackspace. I don't know if they are still around or significant.

I also think of the "big" providers as AWS, GCS and the like. I couldn't see myself using them for any LES type of application. DO, Vultr, and so on are medium sized. The defining characteristics for me of a big-time product line is a) servers with hourly billing going up to very large sizes, and b) variety of locations including multiple regions of the US. Maybe OVH qualifies by that standard now, though I'd still call them medium sized and they have well known drawbacks.

I'm happiest with small providers of the type we have here on LES, though in practice the product line most to my liking (except for its location since I'd prefer closer to home) is Hetzner. Cheap dedis, storage, and hourly VPS all under one roof. Their shared-cpu VPS don't bench all that well though, as a recent thread shows.

• Among the lowend players, I think Racknerd should be mentioned. Not a longtime player yet, but it seems like they are growing fast.

Big boys not mentioned yet are Ionos by 1and1 (www.ionos.com) and MissHosting (www.misshosting.com).
    1and1 is gigantic and I'm sure a lot of the lowend VPS providers here with presence in Europe are hosted in their datacenters.
    MissHosting just did a ridiculous pricehike going from like 2$/month to €16/month for their cheapest VPS's so I'm actually a bit pissed at them, but in pure numbers they should definitely count as a big player.

@willie said: Rackspace

Damn, forgot about Rackspace, they used to be everywhere, it was hard to visit a site that was remotely hosting related without seeing a Rackspace banner, I guess that shows that brand recognition is important.

Thanked by (3)vimalware Ympker vyas

• In terms of "big" as in I assume lots of people have heard of them then 1&1, ukfast, uk2, etc all spring to mind as well. But, they're also not providers I would choose to use myself.