Friendly Feature Requests / Ideas

Starting this thread to collect ideas that might be implemented in the future. Please don't be demanding in this thread. =)

I posted a question in the Pit, and it was suggested to make this new thread.

My suggestion is to make it possible to dismiss/ignore threads I don't care to follow/read. B)

(I know I can mark all as read, but then this thread, which I don't care about, it will pop back in with "66 new" etc. the next time someone posts there.)

Comments

• @flips - this thread ... is an awesome feature - thank you for implenting it!

here's a fresh idea from @poisson: https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/2233/#Comment_2233

Thanked by (1)flips

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

The links for "Home"*"Category" to the left of the "Preview" and "Post Comment" buttons, could those two links be left-aligned?
    My OCD moves the mouse to the left before I can force it to the right again.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• I'd quote like the ability to quote a selection of text. HB and LET have the option of highlighting a string/sentence and just quoting that part.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Mr_Tom said:
    I'd quote like the ability to quote a selection of text. HB and LET have the option of highlighting a string/sentence and just quoting that part.

yeah the plugin does not work on vanilla v3.x, LET can do that because they still use v1 or 2 but it is on the list :)

Thanked by (2)Amitz Mr_Tom

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @mikho said:
    The links for "Home"*"Category" to the left of the "Preview" and "Post Comment" buttons, could those two links be left-aligned?

Now with the sticky navbar we might as well remove / hide these links?

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@Solaire said:

@mikho said:

I'd rather keep them right-aligned then have them removed.

Thanked by (1)Solaire

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said:

@Solaire said:

@mikho said:

I'd rather keep them right-aligned then have them removed.

To the left it is!

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • What about colo? Is that just to be posted like regular offers? Any limits, etc?

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

@SpryServers_Tab said:
    What about colo? Is that just to be posted like regular offers? Any limits, etc?

I will sleep on that one.

Thanked by (1)SpryServers_Tab

• A list of all ex-admin private LETs.

But in all seriousness, how about the $7 rule but with the exception for offers below $0.7/GB so we don't miss on some great deals?

As far as the theme goes how about making the roles not so standing out on mobile? Id rather want to see the username, not user's roles. Also I'm feeling like user information is not aligned with the avatar.

MrPsycho said: As far as the theme goes how about making the roles not so standing out on mobile? Id rather want to see the username, not user's roles. Also I'm feeling like user information is not aligned with the avatar.

Yeah, they are pretty small even on desktop tbh.

• @Weblogics said:
    This new forum is only days old and already starting with the CC drama - why not post this drivel on the other forum where it belongs?

Hopefully this type of useless drama is not indicative of the future direction of this forum...

We need "banish thread" feature ffs.

Thanked by (1)uptime

UpCloud free $25 through this aff link - Akamai, DigitalOcean and Vultr alternative, multiple location, IPv6.

• Is there a chance for a poll feature?

Thanked by (1)ITLabs

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• ITLabsITLabs OG
    edited November 2019

@Amitz said:
    Is there a chance for a poll feature?

(    ) Yes
    (    ) No
    ( X ) Amitz

Done!

BF/CM - Buyer Beware. Conduct your own due diligence on the sustainability of the deals presented here as well as the provider's track record.

@Amitz said:
    Is there a chance for a poll feature?

On the list :)

Thanked by (1)Amitz

• Will there be a category for outage announcement as in the old forum? :)

edited November 2019

@Bochi said:
    Will there be a category for outage announcement as in the old forum? :)

I guess we could look in to how best to implement that, vanilla forums layout is not very conducive to 'sub sections' I have some Ideas I will experiment over the weekend.

I may look to implement something like this: https://downdetector.co.uk/status/facebook/ on providers profile pages in the long run.

• edited November 2019

hi just a thought if we can have an android/ios app for the forum

• @Daemonclaw said:

Too much work, unless you can volunteer developing it.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @poisson said:

@Daemonclaw said:

Maybe it's not too hard to make it work almost as a standalone app when you save shortcut to home screen? (At least on iOS, when you do this, some apps go full screen in a nice way, and launches as a separate app, while others will just open a tab in Safari. I dunno what setting(s) triggers the desired behaviour.) :smile:

• Maybe I am old school but I think a mobile browser works fine, and I can choose browsers that blocks third party cookies and java scripts that I do not explicitly allow. I don't like native apps if there's a web equivalent for this reason.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• Many apps are just web wrappers, but keep a separate stored passwords db and maybe some extra features integrating with the OS...

• uptimeuptime OG
    edited November 2019

regarding the suggestions for ignoring threads (and also possibly for an app) ...

I noticed there is an API for vanilla - have not checked to see what exactly it might provide in terms of useful features, but it occurred to me that something like an RSS feed reader might allow more customization of how content is presented on the client side

https://docs.vanillaforums.com/developer/apiv2-reference/

Just in case anyone feels like wading through that doc and maybe like ummmm you know explaining all the relevant bits for me, that would be great mmmkay :)

I'm guessing the vanilla API is geared more towards system administration features but hoping there might be some interesting methods for accessing selected content as well.

And I understand from some discussion on the old forum that people were not thrilled about the idea of providing RSS feeds to serve up content only to be scraped by affiliate blogs. Not sure how that would pan out but still may be worth some more nuanced analysis ...

HS4LIFE (+ (* 3 4) (* 5 6))

• SolaireSolaire OG
    edited November 2019

@flips said:

@poisson said:

@Daemonclaw said:

Maybe it's not too hard to make it work almost as a standalone app when you save shortcut to home screen? (At least on iOS, when you do this, some apps go full screen in a nice way, and launches as a separate app, while others will just open a tab in Safari. I dunno what setting(s) triggers the desired behaviour.) :smile:

Progressive web app is what you seem to have in mind :). That'll allow you to create a shortcut on your home screen and then go from there. That'd be a rather simple thing.

Next best bet would be integrating with Tapatalk.

Thanked by (2)uptime flips
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    I guess we could look in to how best to implement that, vanilla forums layout is not very conducive to 'sub sections' I have some Ideas I will experiment over the weekend.

I may look to implement something like this: https://downdetector.co.uk/status/facebook/ on providers profile pages in the long run.

Or maybe some kind of status monitor, where the participating hosts can share the information about the LES host nodes? Some information will be needed I guess to prevent an increase in ticket inflow, as people where trained to check the forum first. :)

• well i brought it up because vanilla dev upped the app on the site but when i grabbed from play store it was actually a demo thats why thought to ask here

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/33730/vanillaapp-a-native-app-for-vanillaforums

• @Daemonclaw said:
    well i brought it up because vanilla dev upped the app on the site but when i grabbed from play store it was actually a demo thats why thought to ask here

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/33730/vanillaapp-a-native-app-for-vanillaforums

Thanks, I didn't spot that one. It seems to be in the early stages, especially for Android. Next to that they went their own way and created a Javascript backend for the app. That's not necessarily a bad idea, but by the looks of it it's pretty immature and insecure so I'd advice against using it.

It's also extremely difficult to maintain all those code bases (backend, android and ios apps) and in a world where hybrid apps and web apps are more and more common I really don't understand their decision other than it being a hobby project.

Thanked by (1)Phill
  • williewillie OG
    edited December 2019

Oh neat, I was going to ask about an API. Any chance of opening the API up to regular members with a reasonable post history? That would made it fairly simple for the Black Friday Virmach offers to have their own thread that got updated by a bot whenever a new offer went up.

Also, I had trouble finding this thread: how about a subforum for forum suggestions/issues, so this thread and the bug report thread could go there? Alternatively, pin these two threads.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • Maybe it would be useful with a poll of popular feature requests?
    (Not sure I'm the best at compiling the suggestions into usable choices.)

• Maybe I’m blind, but I don’t see a way to search post titles rather than content. I feel that might be useful to have?

On LE* I resorted to using google custom search.

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting

It don’t be like it is until it do.