All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

@LeonDynamic said:

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Yes. Today I installed Heartbeat plugin. Changed to more than 120 seconds from the default 15.
    Will see whether the ajax part is getting solved or not. Postie plugin is used as the client posts news by mail.
    I have Lifetime plan from Mikept. Will try to move there and find better EP limit. I think MikeA offers in Canada which will not be great for Indian users. (Anyhow I use bunnycdn which will make it much better)

Hey @Intelpentium0 how are getting with your websites EP requests?

Still no good news. Got limited several times as shown in graphs of EP and CPU usage. But 2GB RAM never had any fault. I/O usage is 8mbps by the provider and its not an issue.

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

• Is the elementor offering a demo site with all the features ? I mean something like that(but for elementor ) https://products.mpcthemes.net/?product=massive

Dentistry is my passion

• Read in a WP group about
    jpegoptim

for image compression. Nifty little cli based tool that can compare well with shortpixel or tinypng for image compression.
    Below is a nice How To.
    https://www.mankier.com/1/jpegoptim

If you have a WP install on a VPS and are looking to use one less plugin, this might be worth a try.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker
  • @vyas said: jpegoptim

I have this and optipng running on a cron to go through periodically and check through uploaded images. I also run a convert command to generate webp versions and have apache/nginx serv those automatically if the browser supports it.

Thanked by (2)vyas vimalware
  • Theme News

Astra theme suspended for 5 weeks for adding Affiliate links in the theme code

https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/87407#comment:2

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • @vyas said:
    Theme News

Astra theme suspended for 5 weeks for adding Affiliate links in the theme code

https://themes.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/87407#comment:2

Shameful!

One of the reasons why many foreigners don't trust Indians with their projects, and use the "S" word for them.

On a lighter note, I wonder what'll happen in all those "GP vs. Astra" Facebook Groups threads :D. I can't see Tom and his team doing such a thing.

• Bad apples are everywhere. I am unfortunately subscribed to a few saas newsletters where crappy plugin makers from eu and na cross promote services. Earn affiliate in a circular fashion

• @vyas said:
    Bad apples are everywhere.

That's true! Brave Browser, to name a recent one.

• Do any of you WP users use Kadence or Helo theme by Elementor? Which might be a more user friendly starter theme if using Elementor or Brizy? Thx

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited August 2020

What is your go-to plugin for GDPR Cookie Notice + Consent for cookie categories (necessary, markering, analytical..)? There are lots of free cookie notice plugins which is enough for necessary cookies, but anything beyond that you often need a paid plugin. I have found a few solutions like https://www.legalmonster.com/features/cookie-consent/ where these options are provided for free but only for 1 domain and more you'd need to pay 5-10€/mo. Right now, I am only using necessary cookies so no issues with the free cookie notice, however in the future, especially for clients, something else may be required.

The highly rated codecanyon cookie plugins I found are also activated via API key of Codecanyon so cant use them (or all their features) on multiple sites. One purchase costs like 20€ which would need to be calculated per site. I might still get one from there and see which options are being limited without API key.

• India. Fortunately no GDPR issue. Yet

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@vyas said:
    India. Fortunately no GDPR issue. Yet

Technically, asap as Europeans visit your website you'd need it iirc. But yeah, you got some leeway there.

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • @Ympker said:
    What is your go-to plugin for GDPR Cookie Notice + Consent for cookie categories (necessary, markering, analytical..)? There are lots of free cookie notice plugins which is enough for necessary cookies, but anything beyond that you often need a paid plugin. I have found a few solutions like https://www.legalmonster.com/features/cookie-consent/ where these options are provided for free but only for 1 domain and more you'd need to pay 5-10€/mo. Right now, I am only using necessary cookies so no issues with the free cookie notice, however in the future, especially for clients, something else may be required.

The highly rated codecanyon cookie plugins I found are also activated via API key of Codecanyon so cant use them (or all their features) on multiple sites. One purchase costs like 20€ which would need to be calculated per site. I might still get one from there and see which options are being limited without API key.

I have tried welaunch he is from germany and i think everything is done for germany .( if i am not wrong he has a special block for germany or something like that) it cost 15 euros and i am happy with it.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

• @Ympker said:

@vyas said:

Technically, asap as Europeans visit your website you'd need it iirc. But yeah, you got some leeway there.

Technically, yes. But my country’s laws do not require it, I am not offering any services, content is free to read....

I have seen/read discussions in Indian blogging forums and LinkedIn on the matter, but my philosophy is clear on the matter. :-)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

I have tried welaunch he is from germany and i think everything is done for germany .( if i am not wrong he has a special block for germany or something like that) it cost 15 euros and i am happy with it.

Thanks for the mention :)
    Is that for unlimited websites, or for one website? Per month or one time?

Thanked by (1)Chievo

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

Technically, yes. But my country’s laws do not require it, I am not offering any services, content is free to read....

I have seen/read discussions in Indian blogging forums and LinkedIn on the matter, but my philosophy is clear on the matter. :-)

I'd also not bother as much in your place. But for all good it might bring to user's privacy it's just a helplessly unclear mess and pita tbh. As if any client/customer will ever read all that anyway.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • @Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

It is in codecanyon ( one time payment )i guess that the license is 1 per site.I do not remember if requiere the license for the activation( i have used it once when gdpr has entered 1 year ago or so) . You could have lot of options into the plugin.( may be even too many options)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

• @Ympker said:

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

I'd also not bother as much in your place. But for all good it might bring to user's privacy it's just a helplessly unclear mess and pita tbh. As if any client/customer will ever read all that anyway.

to be honest . i have seen lot of websites which are using just the message for the cookies and that s all. I mean popular websites in Spain like newspapers. But Germany is different.

Dentistry is my passion

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

It is in codecanyon ( one time payment )i guess that the license is 1 per site.I do not remember if requiere the license for the activation( i have used it once when gdpr has entered 1 year ago or so) . You could have lot of options into the plugin.( may be even too many options)

Thanks! Yeah, codecanyon are usually one-site licenses. Although, some plugins require an api key and some dont (to track installs). I think I saw it on codecanyon earlier today. Looks good, like many others, but will probably be a necessary upsell for future clients.

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • @Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

Thanks! Yeah, codecanyon are usually one-site licenses. Although, some plugins require an api key and some dont (to track installs). I think I saw it on codecanyon earlier today. Looks good, like many others, but will probably be a necessary upsell for future clients.

Yes. In some cases the license is not used for the activation of the plugin. Bear in mind the minimum requirements if i am not wrong it requieres another external free plugin which is creating the backend.so it would be 2 plugins at least to be added. It is something that i do not like but... It was the best and cheapest plugin on codecanyon so... Well technically speaking upselling is necessary. I mean you would add something new to the website so it makes sense.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

Yes. In some cases the license is not used for the activation of the plugin. Bear in mind the minimum requirements if i am not wrong it requieres another external free plugin which is creating the backend.so it would be 2 plugins at least to be added. It is something that i do not like but... It was the best and cheapest plugin on codecanyon so... Well technically speaking upselling is necessary. I mean you would add something new to the website so it makes sense.

For this plugin, did you need to enter license key?

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • @Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

If i am not wrong you would need the license key for the updates of the plugin. ( i have installed it some months ago In any case i am going to install it on a fresh installation and tell you at 100% for what is used the key ( i am going to do it tomorrow because i am not at home today)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Dentistry is my passion

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

@Chievo said:

@Ympker said:

If i am not wrong you would need the license key for the updates of the plugin. ( i have installed it some months ago In any case i am going to install it on a fresh installation and tell you at 100% for what is used the key ( i am going to do it tomorrow because i am not at home today)

It would be great if you could pm me about this :)

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • edited August 2020

@Ympker said:
    What is your go-to plugin for GDPR Cookie Notice + Consent for cookie categories (necessary, markering, analytical..)? There are lots of free cookie notice plugins which is enough for necessary cookies, but anything beyond that you often need a paid plugin.

What about something like this https://github.com/osano/cookieconsent/. Not used it personally actually just found it. Might give it a try out on my test WP site.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@LeonDynamic said:

@Ympker said:
    What is your go-to plugin for GDPR Cookie Notice + Consent for cookie categories (necessary, markering, analytical..)? There are lots of free cookie notice plugins which is enough for necessary cookies, but anything beyond that you often need a paid plugin.

What about something like this https://github.com/osano/cookieconsent/. Not used it personally actually just found it. Might give it a try out on my test WP site.

For businesses it's a paid plan again ?

• @Ympker said:
    For businesses it's a paid plan again ?

Sorry mate my mistake

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Anybody buried WordPress 5.5 yet? Hearing mixed reports about it- breaking dependency for one

• I upgraded to 5.5 and haven't had any issues.

Thanked by (1)vyas

@vyas said:
    Anybody buried WordPress 5.5 yet? Hearing mixed reports about it- breaking dependency for one

I think it's always wait for a .x.x version like 5.5.x . Patching on a new major version like 5.5. often breaks things. Divi users in a FB group have been having issues, too.

Thanked by (1)vyas
  • @jaden said:
    I upgraded to 5.5 and haven't had any issues.

I tried both- clean install + upgrade and a
    staging site for a production one.

Latter have me some hiccups but a database update cleared it

Thanked by (1)Ympker