Can I tell you about MXroute?

jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG
edited August 2020 in General

(Post approved by Anthony, provided I haven't misunderstood any of his intent)

Hey everyone!

I know a lot of you already from LET, but new faces pop up all the time and I'd like to introduce my business to you. For those that are already friends, an update on how we're doing as a commitment to the LES forum, written just for you and not just pasted from our blog or another forum ;)

Who are we?

MXroute is an email provider that seeks to challenge the standards of the industry in pricing strategy and outbound delivery consistency. Inbound is far from ignored, but I always say that anyone can run an inbound mail server, the real work is the outbound.

How are we challenging the industry?

You see, being able to get your email to Gmail, Hotmail, Verizon, AT&T, Yahoo, and the companies owned by those companies from one server is increasingly difficult, if not almost impossible. Frankly, when all of those are on the table, it's not common that one IP or even IP range can do the job. Formerly, we utilized MailChannels to deal with IP reputation and delivery issues to some of the more difficult to reach providers (let's be honest, AT&T made me give up back then). As great as it was, their efforts to protect their own systems led to excessive false positives which blocked legitimate outbound mail, and their algorithms would kick someone down for an odd sending pattern without warning or immediate recourse. That's why we've put together our own outbound system that will retry failed deliveries from up to 3 IP ranges before giving up. We don't really fail any delivery anymore except when customers send to non-existent recipients. We're pretty proud of what we've built, and I'm convinced that it's the most reliable outbound email infrastructure in the world. I realize exactly how bold of a claim that is.

Our challenge to the pricing structure of the industry is much more compatible with the way you all think about pricing and features, because it's much closer to how shared hosting or a VPS might be priced, and less like how email tends to be priced. We charge based on storage, that's it. No limit to domains or email accounts, just the overall storage used per service (aka purchased package).

What's new?

For those of you that have been around and watched us grow since late 2013, you might also appreciate the changes we've made on the business side in the last year. We are a registered LLC in the state of Texas, and MXroute does actually employ a full time employee (Hi!), as opposed to being a side project (it was quite a side project, but it was never first priority every day). Because of that, we've brought back more traditional support as well, offering email support to all of our customers (in addition to the existing community forum/chat). That was a big request from LET members, I recall.

Things we've added officially recently:

What's next?

New Projects:

• In-house control panel in active development, major milestones already passed
  • Streamlined user onboarding
  • Self-healing infrastructure (automated recovery from learned events)

If you have any questions about MXroute ask away, or if you just want to post obscene photos within the confines of Anthony's rules that's cool too @WSS.

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

Tagged:

Comments

• TLDR; save time troubleshooting email delivery problems and let MXroute do it for you.

I consider every penny well spent on MXroute in terms of not having to figure out why my emails are not delivered to major email providers.

Thanked by (2)jarland MaxKVM

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• @jarland knows his shit. 'nuf said! :tongue:

Thanked by (2)poisson jarland
  • Can I also tell you something about MXRoute? I have been a customer since 2017, and I love them ?

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Nice one, maybe I should be using mxroute for this forums outbound mail rather than pissing $36 /month to mailchimp/mandrill.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• It’s great to see you decided to continue mxroute development and enhancement.

Been using the service since 2014 and I’m still impressed with the price and quality :-)

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

Too much value for money, it is!

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • Geographically where the emails stored these days?

• @sureiam said:
    Geographically where the emails stored these days?

EU and NA I believe..

Thanked by (1)jarland

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

@sureiam said:
    Geographically where the emails stored these days?

Unless on Eagle, Acadia, or Longhorn then Hetzner in Germany. No new customers are provisioned on the mentioned servers.

Thanked by (1)sureiam

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Nice one, maybe I should be using mxroute for this forums outbound mail rather than pissing $36 /month to mailchimp/mandrill.

Please help keep MXroute to continue prospering!

Thanked by (1)jarland

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

I have just one question:

Why is mxroute so awesome?

No don't answer it. I already know.

Thanked by (1)jarland

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• I am sorry if I am ruining the party but what kind of domains should I get if i were to say use it as a personal inbox I am talking about what TLDs to avoid and what works best?

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

• @codelock said:
    I am sorry if I am ruining the party but what kind of domains should I get if i were to say use it as a personal inbox I am talking about what TLDs to avoid and what works best?

Doesn't Matter. You may want top avoid the fancy new TLDs which may cause issues with web forms doing improper validation of email addresses.

dnscry.pt - Public DNSCrypt resolvers hosted by LowEnd providers • Need a free NAT LXC? -> https://microlxc.net/

• Doesn't really matter, but probably best to go with .com or .net or ccTLDs if available.

@codelock said:
    I am sorry if I am ruining the party but what kind of domains should I get if i were to say use it as a personal inbox I am talking about what TLDs to avoid and what works best?

• @jarland said:

What's next?

New Projects:

• In-house control panel in active development, major milestones already passed

That's interesting! I have a yearly subscription and I cannot fault the deliverability, but I cannot make heads nor tails of the control panel, so much that I've been thinking not to renew. Do you happen to have a timeline (not a commitment, of course) of when this new control panel will be released?

Thanked by (1)Abdullah
  • @codelock said:

I remember the .monster extension was a shit show for email

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Have you heard about our lord and saviour?

• Top notch service!

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • Happy customer and an idler with my 2-year old mxroute account. Thanks @jarland

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • I was running my own e-mail server, until I met her. She mesmerized me with her top deliverability and sweet young recurring offers. I ditched my mail server so hard.

Props to @jarland for standig up to the e-mail mafia, especially at this price point. Prem!

Thanked by (3)poisson jarland Abdullah
    edited August 2020

@quicksilver03 said: That's interesting! I have a yearly subscription and I cannot fault the deliverability, but I cannot make heads nor tails of the control panel, so much that I've been thinking not to renew. Do you happen to have a timeline (not a commitment, of course) of when this new control panel will be released?

First part is replacing WHMCS front-end with something that is more tailored to the service and helps guide users through a more logical workflow. That I expect to have done in 2-3 months (the functions are done, it's mostly design decisions at this point). After that I start on building into it a front-end for DirectAdmin (and cPanel for older servers). Now the DA API doesn't cover nearly enough, so I'll have to build my own API in front of it, and that'll take a bit. Could be 3-6 months from that point. The cPanel API is more than sufficient and that shouldn't take but a month.

Thanked by (1)quicksilver03

• @sanvit said:
    Doesn't really matter, but probably best to go with .com or .net or ccTLDs if available.

@codelock said:

One more question because I am new to this stuff is there any registrar not with that stupid rewnal price bumps? Also which are cheap and good ones to register with like I have heard of porkbun

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

• @jarland said:

@quicksilver03 said: That's interesting! I have a yearly subscription and I cannot fault the deliverability, but I cannot make heads nor tails of the control panel, so much that I've been thinking not to renew. Do you happen to have a timeline (not a commitment, of course) of when this new control panel will be released?

First part is replacing WHMCS front-end with something that is more tailored to the service and helps guide users through a more logical workflow. That I expect to have done in 2-3 months (the functions are done, it's mostly design decisions at this point). After that I start on building into it a front-end for DirectAdmin (and cPanel for older servers). Now the DA API doesn't cover nearly enough, so I'll have to build my own API in front of it, and that'll take a bit. Could be 3-6 months from that point. The cPanel API is more than sufficient and that shouldn't take but a month.

The cpanel setup was always very simple to me and frankly very powerful and feature rich in terms of an email platform. Looking forward to what's coming down the pipeline

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • @codelock said:

@sanvit said:
    Doesn't really matter, but probably best to go with .com or .net or ccTLDs if available.

@codelock said:

One more question because I am new to this stuff is there any registrar not with that stupid rewnal price bumps? Also which are cheap and good ones to register with like I have heard of porkbun

I have most of my domains on Porkbun. If price is the biggest issue, iirc Cloudflare would be the cheapest but not many TLDs are supported. I also heard good stuffs about Namecheap and Namesilo, but never used them. Just make sure that you don't use those newTLDs as they may increase the renewal rate later on.

• @sanvit said:

@codelock said:

@sanvit said:

@codelock said:

I have most of my domains on Porkbun. If price is the biggest issue, iirc Cloudflare would be the cheapest but not many TLDs are supported. I also heard good stuffs about Namecheap and Namesilo, but never used them. Just make sure that you don't use those newTLDs as they may increase the renewal rate later on.

Yea the new TLDs can be super duper cheap the first year then skyrocket on renewal. Namesilo and porkbun are the best in terms of price and stability of company with namesilo probably being more dependable because of their age and large customer base. With that said their NS dns servers left much to be desired in terms of reliability (based on hetrix tools monitoring). Cloudflare is the absolute cheapest with much more reliable ns servers but they lock you into using only their name servers and domains can only be transferred in not registered there (at least currently). Namecheap has decent dns service but I can't justify spending a cent more than needed for a domain registrar.

However I'd rather not take over Jar's post to make this about registrars. Basically if your spending $8-9 a year on a .com then your doing it right.

• @sureiam said: but they lock you into using only their name servers

iirc someone on LET mentioned that you can contact their (almost non-existing) support to change nameservers.

@sureiam said: domains can only be transferred in not registered there (at least currently).

Actually, this is now available as a beta feature.

• Noob question here.
    Let's say I start using mxroute from now but I am afraid that someday I suddenly will want to move away from them and host my email elsewhere, What preparation should I take from the day 1 that will make my migration pain-less?

• @PHP_Backend said:
    Noob question here.
    Let's say I start using mxroute from now but I am afraid that someday I suddenly will want to move away from them and host my email elsewhere, What preparation should I take from the day 1 that will make my migration pain-less?

None TBH. You can re-register your accounts in a new server and use IMAPSYNC to sync the mails. Or you could also copy-paste the whole Maildir if you prefer that (never tried myself)

Thanked by (2)PHP_Backend poisson

@PHP_Backend said:
    Noob question here.

You’d migrate out at any time using imapsync. We keep regular backups too, with actual consistency unlike the old days.

Thanked by (2)PHP_Backend poisson