What do you do with a IPv4 NAT VPS?

2»

Comments

• @rcy026 said:

Also, they are all part of a wireguard network so the fact that they are behind ipv4 nat is a non issue for me, I reach them on internal addresses anyway.

Doesn't that require a main WG server, or is there a way to do it similar to Tinc/ZeroTier (especially on Windows)?

• I like to idle them. Not as good for idle as the dedicated servers but they perform reasonably well

Thanked by (1)bugrakoc
  • @sanvit said:

@rcy026 said:

Also, they are all part of a wireguard network so the fact that they are behind ipv4 nat is a non issue for me, I reach them on internal addresses anyway.

Doesn't that require a main WG server, or is there a way to do it similar to Tinc/ZeroTier (especially on Windows)?

They do have ipv6, so I just use that.

• Botnet!

I usually use them as uptime trackers or private VPNs.

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @somik said:

I usually use them as uptime trackers

Can you elaborate how yo do that?

• @vyas said:

@somik said:

I usually use them as uptime trackers

Can you elaborate how yo do that?

I run a custom PHP script that connects to open ports on my regular servers and sends me a notification if the server failed to connect after 6 attempts.

Pool the data from 3 or 4 of these servers distributed all over the world, and you have a moderately good uptime tracker.

Take a look at this opensource version: https://phpservermonitor.org/

Thanked by (1)vyas

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @rcy026 said:
    They do have ipv6, so I just use that.

IPv6 is great, but I would prefer if I didn't have to configure each IPv6 address I want to use in the VPS configuration. I wonder why I can't have the whole IPv6 prefix (/64 or other size) routed to the VPS.

• @rcy026 said:
    I have 5 x mrvm that I use for monitoring. Being able to measure things from different networks in different parts of the world for basically no money at all is awesome. They all collect metrics and feed it to a central Influxdb which is then used by Grafana to draw pretty graphs on a monitor in my office. Looks pretty nice when you get dials and graphs with reply times from lots of different countries. :smile:

Hi, may I know what you are using to monitor and type of things you’re monitoring? I’ve been meaning to setup my own influxdb with grafana to learn more about them.

• @shiok said:

@rcy026 said:
    I have 5 x mrvm that I use for monitoring. Being able to measure things from different networks in different parts of the world for basically no money at all is awesome. They all collect metrics and feed it to a central Influxdb which is then used by Grafana to draw pretty graphs on a monitor in my office. Looks pretty nice when you get dials and graphs with reply times from lots of different countries. :smile:

Hi, may I know what you are using to monitor and type of things you’re monitoring? I’ve been meaning to setup my own influxdb with grafana to learn more about them.

I just use simple scripts, mostly sh but some perl and php, to collect the metrics I want. Its mostly just pingtimes and checks to see of a process is running or a service is responding on a certain port. Most of my checks are just a few lines of sh that echoes a textstring to influxdb using nc, so its really nothing fancy.

I try to keep everything simple, I've found that keeping the monitoring very simple and then collect and centralize all the simple data is the best way to stay in control. The fancy bit comes when you visualize it with Graphana, nice and beautiful graphs and dashboards sells anything. :smile:

• @rcy026 said:

@shiok said:

@rcy026 said:

I just use simple scripts, mostly sh but some perl and php, to collect the metrics I want. Its mostly just pingtimes and checks to see of a process is running or a service is responding on a certain port. Most of my checks are just a few lines of sh that echoes a textstring to influxdb using nc, so its really nothing fancy.

I try to keep everything simple, I've found that keeping the monitoring very simple and then collect and centralize all the simple data is the best way to stay in control. The fancy bit comes when you visualize it with Graphana, nice and beautiful graphs and dashboards sells anything. :smile:

Sounds great... would you be able to share a sneak peek of your dashboard? Thnx.

• @localhost said:
    Sounds great... would you be able to share a sneak peek of your dashboard? Thnx.

Dashboards, plural. I have a lot. :smile:
    And sorry but no, I'd rather not. They contain lots of hostnames and other info that I prefer not to post on a public forum. But if you want to look at dashboards for inspiration there are thousands at https://grafana.com/grafana/dashboards.
    If you just want some of the simple shellscripts to generate metrics just pm me, I have some really simple checks you can copy that should get you started to make your own.

• @rcy026 said:

@localhost said:

Dashboards, plural. I have a lot. :smile:
    And sorry but no, I'd rather not. They contain lots of hostnames and other info that I prefer not to post on a public forum. But if you want to look at dashboards for inspiration there are thousands at https://grafana.com/grafana/dashboards.
    If you just want some of the simple shellscripts to generate metrics just pm me, I have some really simple checks you can copy that should get you started to make your own.

Fair. I'll pm you for the scripts. I have a couple of idling vps and it will be nice to see if I can collect lots of data and make them less idle ??