Can I tell you about MXroute?

Comments

• @jarland said:

@ouvoun said:
    I was about to pick up a Pobox account, but was reminded that MXRoute exists via this post.

Sorry if this is a strange request, but @jarland how would you compare your service to Pobox?

Less limits and there really is no direct comparison to this: https://mxroute.com/our-unique-outbound-infrastructure/

Outbound does look impressive, yes. Do you provide any inbound SLA?

Thanked by (1)jarland

It don’t be like it is until it do.

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

@ouvoun said: Do you provide any inbound SLA?

Not specifically, not out of fear of being unable to reach it just not really something that I've been asked about before.

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Really envious of https://mxroute.com/docs/

Thanked by (2)jarland Abdullah

@SmallWeb said:

At this point it just made sense to go all in on Wordpress so I could spend more time on content.

https://betterdocs.co

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

• @jarland said:

@SmallWeb said:

At this point it just made sense to go all in on Wordpress so I could spend more time on content.

https://betterdocs.co

Hope you got the $ 50 / 10 site deal that was available some time back :-)

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Hi @jarland!

Can MxRoute customers see the MTA logs for their inbound and outbound messages?

Can MxRoute customers have direct ssh command line access (as opposed to grabbing their mail via IMAP from a terminal elsewhere than MxRoute)? [Sometimes it's fun to do base64 conversions by hand, and hterm can display images right in the terminal. :)]

Thanks!

Tom

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi @jarland!

Can MxRoute customers see the MTA logs for their inbound and outbound messages?

Yes

Can MxRoute customers have direct ssh command line access (as opposed to grabbing their mail via IMAP from a terminal elsewhere than MxRoute)? [Sometimes it's fun to do base64 conversions by hand, and hterm can display images right in the terminal. :)]

iirc also Yes

@sanvit! That's amazing! I wasn't expecting either answer to be yes. :) I gotta go read @Jarland's site. :)

Where is the LES exclusive deal? Oh! It's with @Abdullah! Hey @Abdullah, if I sign up for MxRoute through you do I get all the same stuff as signing up directly? :)

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

• Just wondering,
    Is there a a way to use a catch all emails with a domain and reply with the alias, the mail received?
    "Reply as sender" in Gapps.

edited August 2020

@Not_Oles said: Can MxRoute customers see the MTA logs for their inbound and outbound messages?

Yes for inbound, not effectively for outbound. You can only see it going out to the filters. It's another project I need to work on, combining the data into one place so customers can view it.

That said, no one has ever come to me and asked for outbound logs to find that we failed a delivery and a bounce, because our infrastructure works so well that the only reason you shouldn't get an error back in your inbox if it couldn't be delivered is that you set the wrong From header so the bounce went somewhere else. So almost 100% of customers who think they need to see outbound logs and come to me asking "Why did they say they didn't get this email" has resulted in me replying "They did receive it, here's proof." I'm sure there's edge cases but there's probably 100,000 messages going through before one appears.

That's why the project is a bit low priority because it's not going to shock anyone to find that their emails are always delivered except in cases where they already knew they weren't. I suspect the work will go largely ignored once I finish it and customers grow accustomed to the results they see in it. They'll probably start defaulting to telling their recipients to troubleshoot their own issues ;)

@Not_Oles said: Can MxRoute customers have direct ssh command line access

If you ask me personally and nicely, and only up until we eventually upgrade to an infrastructure that no longer accommodates this. That said, the emails are going to be compressed so you probably won't be able to read them as files without decompressing first.

@Iroshan464 said: Is there a a way to use a catch all emails with a domain and reply with the alias, the mail received?

That is an email client feature. To the best of my knowledge none of the email clients we provide (Crossbox, Roundcube, Rainloop) immediately support this as a built-in feature. Though you're obviously welcome to use your own software for reading/sending your email (Outlook, Thunderbird, any webmail client you want to install on your server, etc).

Thanked by (2)Iroshan464 Not_Oles

@jarland said:

the [outbound log] project is a bit low priority
    [ssh access] only up until we eventually upgrade

So, how about using MxRoute as a relay, kinda like Mailgun, SendGrid, and MailJet?

• @Not_Oles said:
    @jarland said:

the [outbound log] project is a bit low priority
    [ssh access] only up until we eventually upgrade

So, how about using MxRoute as a relay, kinda like Mailgun, SendGrid, and MailJet?

It works like a charm!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

@Not_Oles said: So, how about using MxRoute as a relay, kinda like Mailgun, SendGrid, and MailJet?

Entirely possible. The major differences are:

1. We don't offer software that manages the tracking of these for you like those services do at this time. Though third party software should be sufficient (Sendy, Mailtrain, etc).
    2. Instead of authenticating with a username that isn't an actual email address, you'll authenticate with one that is (an email address created in DirectAdmin). That doesn't force the From header to match it, but it does become the "X-Auth-User" header so that I can track who sent spam when I get complaints.
    Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Oh and please don't relay thousands of emails from "root@localhost" or "apache@notanfqdn" those drive me nuts :joy:

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@Not_Oles said:
    @sanvit! That's amazing! I wasn't expecting either answer to be yes. :) I gotta go read @Jarland's site. :)

Where is the LES exclusive deal? Oh! It's with @Abdullah! Hey @Abdullah, if I sign up for MxRoute through you do I get all the same stuff as signing up directly? :)

Yea, all same except the support, u get it from me.
    Generally not an issue :)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
    edited August 2020

First screenshot worth showing off of the in-house control panel (replacing WHMCS first). Some of you will recognize the template. I'm not a big designer, and really don't want to spend most of my time on that initially.

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

Looks nice, !

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • hi @jarland .. do you have plan to support send email via api? we use vercel as development, unfortunately they don't support smtp for sending email.

@lightblade said:
    hi @jarland .. do you have plan to support send email via api? we use vercel as development, unfortunately they don't support smtp for sending email.

I don't, but there might be a code base out there somewhere to present an API for an SMTP back-end. Seems like someone would have made something like that at some point. I'm sure I will eventually though.

Thanked by (1)lightblade

• This design is right up my alley. Looking forward to it!

Thanked by (1)jarland

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@jarland said:

@berkay said: Does this include lifetimes?

Those will stay at 10GB.

This makes sense in terms of long-term service sustainability (saying this as a lifetime package user).

I've learned a valuable lesson on certain thresholds, that might be beneficial for others:

• Over 100GB purchased means significantly increased chance of using purchased space. Example: Someone purchasing 20GB is more likely to use less than 5GB, where someone purchasing over 100GB is more likely to use 100GB. This means you can oversell more 20GB than you can 100GB, breaking the idea that they're equivalent in scale and therefore can be relative in price.

• A $5/year customer is significantly more likely to make repeat support requests than a $10/year customer. These can severely diminish your ability to scale out your support strategy with increased overhead but not enough revenue to hire.

Knowledge and experience, good business planning. All sounds quite reasonable and logical IMO.

Keep up the good work.
    Really good service. Would recommend it.

Thanked by (2)jarland flips

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

edited August 2020

Added gravatar to the WIP panel before calling it a night because why not lol

We once got a ticket at DO asking why there was a picture of Hitler in the user’s control panel. Had a really hard time not laughing at the prank that someone obviously pulled on them with gravatar.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Yoh Jar.

I've got one of the BF deals from god knows back when. Never got round to actually using it thus far so congrats on free revenue lol

On your documentation page, can you please add a idiots guide 101 right at the top?

Like I've pointed a own domain @ google servers so I have a basic grasp of this concept. But I feel the documentation pages dives into GDPR compliance etc without covering the basics (maybe it's aimed at clued up people and it's assumed knowledge lol)

Thanked by (1)jarland
    edited August 2020

@havoc said:
    Yoh Jar.

I've got one of the BF deals from god knows back when. Never got round to actually using it thus far so congrats on free revenue lol

On your documentation page, can you please add a idiots guide 101 right at the top?

Like I've pointed a own domain @ google servers so I have a basic grasp of this concept. But I feel the documentation pages dives into GDPR compliance etc without covering the basics (maybe it's aimed at clued up people and it's assumed knowledge lol)

Aye, onboarding path is something I'm working on. When you signed up the sole onboarding path was the "Important Account Information" email after signup. It still is a bit, people won't return right now having forgotten that and know how to get started again. Having two workflows (cPanel and DirectAdmin) doesn't help either, working on that right now too.

edited August 2020

@bugrakoc said: Props to @jarland for standig up to the e-mail mafia, especially at this price point. Prem!

I liked that phrase so much I stole it.

Someone has to fight for everyone that isn't Google. I can still get emails past their blacklist, but I'm drawing a line in the sand now to see them removed from any serious email systems while they're not a serious problem for me, rather than having to react later when they are. Tell your friends, cancel hosting with companies that pay MagicSpam :)

Thanked by (1)bugrakoc

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2020

@jarland said:

@bugrakoc said: Props to @jarland for standig up to the e-mail mafia, especially at this price point. Prem!

I liked that phrase so much I stole it.

Someone has to fight for everyone that isn't Google. I can still get emails past their blacklist, but I'm drawing a line in the sand now to see them removed from any serious email systems while they're not a serious problem for me, rather than having to react later when they are. Tell your friends, cancel hosting with companies that pay MagicSpam :)

Nice.. retweeted

Thanked by (1)jarland

Been using the service for over a year now, and can recommend it.
    Pricing is quite affordable, but regardless of that - service is good, reliable. Not "good for the (relatively low) price", but "good - period".

Would go as far as to say that MXroute sets an example of how email service should be run:

• not tolerating any kind of spam from their own customers, at the cost of loosing their business.
    • providing reliable service where your sent emails get delivered as reliably as it is reasonably possible (thanks to most services not suppressing spamers strictly enough, spam filters and rules do get crazily strict and not one email provider can honestly claim to offer 100% deliverability)
    • good technical support - yes, no hand holding, as they explain when you sign up for the service, but within reasonable requests, they are very knowledgeable and can help (in my experience, literally every problem I had was not related to a problem with MXroute, but they did help pinpoint it and resolve it).
    • The business seems to be run by decent, normal people, looking to offer good service, not just make big bucks, at least from what I could tell. It doesn't mean th> @havoc said:
      > Yoh Jar.
      >
      > I've got one of the BF deals from god knows back when. Never got round to actually using it thus far so congrats on free revenue lol
      >
      > On your documentation page, can you please add a idiots guide 101 right at the top?
      >
      > Like I've pointed a own domain @ google servers so I have a basic grasp of this concept. But I feel the documentation pages dives into GDPR compliance etc without covering the basics (maybe it's aimed at clued up people and it's assumed knowledge lol)

I made my own idiot friendly MXroute setup guide. :)

Planning to make another one for DirectAdmin (I think it's a bit less idiot friendly than cPanel), when I find the time. Especially when/if my account gets moved to DirectAdmin.

Thanked by (2)Abdullah jarland

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• @bikegremlin said:
    Planning to make another one for DirectAdmin (I think it's a bit less idiot friendly than cPanel) [...]

You find cPanel easier? Even though I've used cPanel for years, I find DA easier to navigate and get most stuff done. (Granted cPanel still has some more features, but also more weirdness, like the requirement to create subdomains for every domain you add.)

edited August 2020

@flips said:

@bikegremlin said:
    Planning to make another one for DirectAdmin (I think it's a bit less idiot friendly than cPanel) [...]

You find cPanel easier? Even though I've used cPanel for years, I find DA easier to navigate and get most stuff done. (Granted cPanel still has some more features, but also more weirdness, like the requirement to create subdomains for every domain you add.)

With hosting panels in general? I prefer cPanel. My DirectAdmin thoughts/experience.
    For MXroute? It could be just a habbit, since I only worked with DirectAdmin to configure emails for a friend (it is set and forget, but I did configure more emails on my, cPanel MXroute account).

• Well y first experience with them is using DA, and it is simply as copy and paste.. 10/10 for easyness..

Thanked by (1)jarland

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.