I need a beast for a week

Hello, I am after a powerful dedicated machine for a one week period to do FFmpeg testing and analysis.

The CPU must be modern and powerful. 32GB of ram is fine and 120GB SSD/NVMe.

I prefer a US west or mid location.

My last testing was done with an E-2246G

This time I am wanting to do a thorough run-through and analysis converting h264 and h265 mp4 to webm with vp9 at many settings, with legal media files.

Usually, I will jump on something like a one time 50% off discount at a random provider but COVID has made things quite on that front. I will only need the machine for a week and don't see any sense in paying out largely for a full month.

Fire away your offers please

Comments

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

You could spin something up on one of the major clouds with the credits they provide?

• XsltelXsltel Hosting Provider
    edited August 2020

@havoc said: You could spin something up on one of the major clouds with the credits they provide?

Cloud is still shared with neighbors. I doubt it will give the correct numbers for his use case (analysis of converting multi video formats)

PS: I have an idle E-2276G if interested.

Xsltel OU | A One-man show powered by 250 grams of brain
    Offering reliable hosting services, Server management since 2011 and free cPanel hosting since 2020

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@Xsltel said: Cloud is still shared with neighbors. I doubt it will give the correct numbers for his use case (analysis of converting multi video formats)

That's not quite true. The clouds do offer dedis. The free credits should get you about 100 hours a dedi time on GCP according to my napkin math. Their non-dedi vCPUs are also pinned to HT threads so not as susceptible to noisy neighour syndrome as a normal VPS

Anyway...a proper dedi in the LES sense is probably preferrable though. :)

• BochiBochi OG
    edited August 2020

Used the "Bare Metal" product offered by Vultr for something like this workload once: https://www.vultr.com/products/bare-metal/#pricing
    Worked great and process was as streamlined as we know it from the simple VPS setups. It's not cheap, however...

Thanked by (1)BlaZe
  • XsltelXsltel Hosting Provider

@havoc said: That's not quite true.

I have no-trust syndrome. even a Cloud from a mainstream provider with a dedicated CPU can still be provisioned on Intel Xeon Silver Generation 1 and been running for years. its Silicon is already passed out. compare that to what he has now and do the math.

Xsltel OU | A One-man show powered by 250 grams of brain
    Offering reliable hosting services, Server management since 2011 and free cPanel hosting since 2020

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

Maybe you can try the High Frequency Compute line of Vultr as they do mention that the processors are +3GHz and have listed out the Geekbench scores if that helps in your decision.

Also, if you do not have an account with Vultr then you can get $100 credit (30 days validity) if you signup through my referral code here: https://www.vultr.com/?ref=8526391-6G

Or go with IBM's hourly baremetal provisioning, I haven't explored it myself or tried them but its IBM. Don't know if they would consider an individual instead of an enterprise account.

https://cloud.ibm.com/gen1/infrastructure/provision/bm

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• Do you really need SSD? How new does the cpu have to be? I have a few HDD-based, mostly idle dedis that I'm using primarily for storage. If you want to burn cpu on one for a week I could set something up for you. But they are not the latest of greatest. i5-3570S, i7-3770, and I think E3-1240v3.

• MaxKVMMaxKVM Hosting Provider

@corbpie said:
    Hello, I am after a powerful dedicated machine for a one week period to do FFmpeg testing and analysis.

The CPU must be modern and powerful. 32GB of ram is fine and 120GB SSD/NVMe.

I prefer a US west or mid location.

My last testing was done with an E-2246G

This time I am wanting to do a thorough run-through and analysis converting h264 and h265 mp4 to webm with vp9 at many settings, with legal media files.

Usually, I will jump on something like a one time 50% off discount at a random provider but COVID has made things quite on that front. I will only need the machine for a week and don't see any sense in paying out largely for a full month.

Fire away your offers please

We might have room for you to go wild in Los Angeles for a week or so. How many cores do you need? Send a PM if interested.

• GTHost does per day pricing

• hosterlabshosterlabs Hosting Provider

Hello,

We can help you with this. For a week, I can dedicate some resources to you. I can give you half of the CPU capacity of the server. 32 GB and 100 NVMe storage. I can let you test it for a day to see if you are happy with the performance it has. The price point would be around $20 USD.

Intel Xeon E3-1230v6 at 3.9Ghz maximum speed. DDR4 2133 Mhz memory. NVMe and 100Mbps speed dedicated to you with bursts of 500Mbps.

Let me know if you have any interest.

Regards.