New Image Format- AVIF

vyasvyas OG
edited August 2020 in General

It turns out there is a new (one more!) image format that some Web browsers (Starting Chrome85 and FF) will start supporting.
From the blog post (link below)

AVIF is alternative to JPEG / PNG / WebP / GIF, has better compression efficiency and has wider feature support compared to these formats. AVIF is designed to supersede JPEG and other established formats.

https://www.gumlet.com/blog/worlds-first-service-to-provide-avif-support/

Compression ratios:
comparison table- AVIF image format.

In the meantime, Safari is yet to support Webp.

Thanked by (3)vikram vncoupon holyballs

Comments

• It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Indeed! Not to mention HIEF and other formats that have to be manually renamed/ converted to the standard ones.

• I remember being impressed by FIF images and how small they could be compared to JPEG - lossy compression though. JEPG2000 - the format that never gained popularity, like others.
    From a photography standpoint, I prefer lossless compression but for web use, it's lack of luser education that presents problems (uploading HUGE files).

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Finally something viable!

• I process all the pictures with:

convert input.* -geometry 600x600 -quality 70 image.jpg

PageSpeed Insights want me to use WebP, but why bother? 2 seconds of load time on a photo won't make a difference.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• or jpegoptim or something similar.
    but most folks need the handholding.
    I know I did till a few months ago. :-)

• tetechtetech OG
    edited August 2020

@vyas said:
    Compression ratios:

Take those with a grain of salt. Anything that says JPEG is 1.4 and HEVC is 1.3 (i.e. JPEG is 1.08x HEVC) is very suspect.

VVC still image is now ready too.

• @tetech said:

@vyas said:
    Compression ratios:

Take those with a grain of salt. Anything that says JPEG is 1.4 and HEVC is 1.3 (i.e. JPEG is 1.08x HEVC) is very suspect.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they're saying that HEVC is roughly 1.08x JPEG.

• @AC_Fan said:

@tetech said:

@vyas said:
    Compression ratios:

Actually, I'm pretty sure they're saying that HEVC is roughly 1.08x JPEG.

That would be even more suspect. But my interpretation of their claim is that for every 1 byte in AVIF, JPEG will require 1.4 bytes. And for every 1 AVIF byte, HEVC would require 1.3 bytes. Meaning JPEG would be 1.08x the file size of HEVC. But those numbers are essentially just marketing. Without knowing what the dataset is (how many images, what resolution they are, etc.) and how the measurement was conducted (subjective? objective?) they can write just about anything they want.