LES, what could be better, what do you like, what would you like to say, what do I need to hear?

Comments

• The main distinction for me between this forum and the "other" forum is the lack of trolling and d*ck posts, the other place leaves me feeling worse off for visiting most of the time. When I visit here, it seems much friendlier and posts seem to be higher quality overall.

From a UI pov, i'd probably move "flag thanks" to below the post, along side quote. And also add some opacity to the signiture div so they are lighter vs. the post body. Oh, and some sort of styling on the username next to the avatar.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited August 2020

We need a swipe left/ right feature for offers or comments

Thanked by (2)willie Ympker
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@seriesn said:
    More noob friendly tutorials + How to guides on the main blog :). I am not a big content writer but if sweet simple how to instructions works, will be happy to contribute.

I may hold you to that!

@flips said: Still miss/look forward to seeing this feature:

Selectively hide/mute threads - Plugin

yep, it is a good feature, it is on the list :)

@beagle said: Since the blog is running on Grav I was wondering if we could leverage its integration with Github and users could contribute submitting improvement or corrections to the tutorials.

probably possible, worth thinking about.

@TigersWay said: A way to dismiss/hide/mute threads,

And a more useful email notification, with a "content" part.

Thread muting will be possible in the future, i just cant say when, for the email notifications you mean like a preview of the new stuff?

@cybertech said: and the insert image function on mobile still doesnt work on android mobile chrome

Yeah that's a tricky bug, when I have a paid dev I will sort that.

@bugrakoc said: Sorry for holding out on that for so long. Keep up the good work, I know you work hard. Thanks, both for IH and LES.

No worries, it is a known issue, only seems to impact firefox, i think it is theme related and have an idea what the cause is, maybe I can PM you to arrange a time to attempt a fix, I cant replicate it here.

@poisson said: I am currently cooking my doctoral dissertation (I have another 50 to 60k words to go at least), so I can't contribute much until early next year, but I would say that producing content that a complete noob can understand is the best way forward to increase the user base. The big problem from my experience teaching technical stuff to complete noobs (I have been doing this for years before doing my PhD full-time) is that their starting point is so low, it is almost impossible for most technically competent people to imagine their difficulties and obstacles. I have a lot of experience in this regard, turning people who know only basic Microsoft Office into print and web designers, so I should be able to produce stuff that will go down well with a noob audience.

That is so true, I suffer from that myself, assuming a level of knowledge.

I am actually developing a short 4-day course right now with a local charity, the charity helps people get out of poverty and learn new skills but their IT suite has been sitting dead for 6 months so I said I would help out, I am writing a course that takes people from "this is a computer, welcome to the internet" to "Well don't you have now registered a domain set up your own email and got your first website live"

I kind of volunteered thinking how had can that be... I have had to take so many steps back to cover things I have had as assumed knowledge its unreal.

I would not say I am 'expert' level in anything but I literally grew up around computers as my dad had an 8 bit computer store when I was growing up in the 80's so my ability to grasp concepts in this context is pretty high I guess.

Thanked by (2)flips vimalware

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @TigersWay said:
    Not sure of the value of the feedback, but here since the first day I do appreciate all the differences with some others places :p
    Less fight, less shit stuff, more friendly, more interesting!
    I do really hope all that is not because less crowded!

Hopes/Features

• A way to dismiss/hide/mute threads,
    • And a more useful email notification, with a "content" part.

I agree with this including suggested features. Plus ability to sort by last post or thread start and RSS feed.

@Adam1 said: The main distinction for me between this forum and the "other" forum is the lack of trolling and d*ck posts, the other place leaves me feeling worse off for visiting most of the time.

I think there is a core of people that do or encourage that at the other place that know that won't be allowed to happen here so they stay away.

With human nature and the somewhat toxic environment people that would not otherwise jump in on the action do join in, Jon likes it like that because it boosts the post/visit count like nothing else when people shitpost and argue, that is not a theory, it was actually discussed when I was admin there.

@Adam1 said: From a UI pov, i'd probably move "flag thanks" to below the post, along side quote. And also add some opacity to the signiture div so they are lighter vs. the post body. Oh, and some sort of styling on the username next to the avatar.

Yep, once I have a paid dev and sort the bugs out, making the place look better and improve the UI will be on the cards, just a bit slow going right now.

Thanked by (1)Hetzner_OL

@vyas said: We need a swipe left/ right feature for offers or comments

Tinder offers?

• @AnthonySmith said:

@vyas said: We need a swipe left/ right feature for offers or comments

Tinder offers?

LowEnd Tinder

@vyas said: LowEnd Tinder

Linda

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• Another idea is to make the black friday not coinciding with the actual black friday if the hostings are interested in do it in that way obviously. I mean if is done some days previously than the black friday people are going to visit and sign up in LES for that i guess. In the spanish stores it works and people are buying in advance because usually the stock is limited in number. Who does it firstly usually wins. It is another strategy that could be viable for LES and hostings.

Dentistry is my passion

• RahulRahul OG
    edited August 2020

@Chievo said:
    Another idea is to make the black friday not coinciding with the actual black friday if the hostings are interested in do it in that way obviously. I mean if is done some days previously than the black friday people are going to visit and sign up in LES for that i guess. In the spanish stores it works and people are buying in advance because usually the stock is limited in number. Who does it firstly usually >wins. It is another strategy that could be viable for LES and hostings.

In India,

Flipkart, the Ecom website ( Even before the Walmart owned Days and even now ) does this. They start the offering at 8 PM the day before that is 4 hours earlier than Amazon India, when ever there is a sale.

I believe this makes a huge difference in terms of sales due to the sheer impulsiveness of buyers.

Thanked by (1)Chievo
  • @Rahul said:

@Chievo said:
    Another idea is to make the black friday not coinciding with the actual black friday if the hostings are interested in do it in that way obviously. I mean if is done some days previously than the black friday people are going to visit and sign up in LES for that i guess. In the spanish stores it works and people are buying in advance because usually the stock is limited in number. Who does it firstly usually >wins. It is another strategy that could be viable for LES and hostings.

In India,

Flipkart, the Ecom website ( Even before the Walmart owned Days and even now ) does this. They start the offering at 8 PM the day before that is 4 hours earlier than Amazon India, when ever there is a sale.

I believe this makes a huge difference in terms of sales due to the sheer impulsiveness of buyers.

Well the another thing is the fact that you do not have clue about which would be the price on black friday may be the same. May be higher. Or it would be sold out. And obviously money is what it is. Budgets are X if someone grabs the money first only the rest would remain for another providers/things.when should be done_ it is up to the strategic minds.

Dentistry is my passion

• @AnthonySmith said: ...for the email notifications you mean like a preview of the new stuff?

We get email notification(s) with the author only, not what he/she said :-)
    While I'm glad to receive them when following a "hot" topic, I need to come back in to know what's going on!

• edited August 2020

@AnthonySmith said: maybe I can PM you

Anytime.

@Rahul said:

@Chievo said:

In India,

So start Black Friday just a little bit sooner then?

• ChievoChievo OG
    edited August 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

@Rahul said:

@Chievo said:

In India,

So start Black Friday just a little bit sooner then?

Definitely it would be beneficial ( at least in theory).
    Just in theory the limited number per stock would be working better. I mean if inception is offering a black friday deal only 20 vps for example a day or 2 days before black friday it means that people who are interested in buying it they would do. It because probably on BF the packs would be sold out. There is something in marketing that i am calling 3 up to 5. I mean people usually are comparing only 3 up to 5 companies before buying . so if starts firstly on LES people are not going to wait 24 hours or 48hours because the numbers for BF would be limited. That is something that we have seen on BF and Cyber Monday. There are complaints like your BF was better than CM offer. i was waiting for better offer on CM. So people must be aware that when is finished the offer could exist . be higher or just sold out

Dentistry is my passion

• It's good the way it is. I can't think of any incremental technical improvements that would make a big difference. Community growth would be nice but that's not a technical thing. LET had worse tech than this place but was livelier from having been around longer. A programming and tech subforum with a code repo (Gitea or whatever) might be nice, but no idea if that would really attract people.

@willie thanks for the feedback, growth is going to be gradual and incremental, I honestly don't know what to do to grow the forum in terms of user numbers much beyond time+content, but will listen to any suggestions and am happy to try anything, I suspect patience will be the key though :)

I also think that LET has a lot of white noise/background hum that is largely irrelevant to anyone actually interested in the community, lots of 1 hit wonder posts that generate a ton of crap (which I suspect may be manufactured some of the time) and general shitposting for the sake of it.

If you strip that away from LET I think you may find and this really is just a guess you may find the numbers are not dissimilar at all, this place may even edge it out now, look at this post as an example compared to LET where Jon made a similar one at around the same time, its a real community matter and look at the engagement is comparison.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Sorry, I haven't read any of the previous comments, but it would be great if there was an option/addon for an advanced search function.

Today, I wanted to post something in @vyas thread All Things WordPress Discussions and I couldn't remember the name. So I searched for "wordpress" and "wordpress discussion" as I figured it'd be something like that and the results were not satisfying at all. I ended up reverse-tracking @vyas threads, ultimately :S

Thanked by (1)bugrakoc
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Well, quality counts.

Case in point, AMD

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

@Ympker said: Sorry, I haven't read any of the previous comments, but it would be great if there was an option/addon for an advanced search function.

Something like this: https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/14-advanced-search ?

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@AnthonySmith said:

@Ympker said: Sorry, I haven't read any of the previous comments, but it would be great if there was an option/addon for an advanced search function.

Something like this: https://success.vanillaforums.com/kb/articles/14-advanced-search ?

Yes, that'd be great! :)

I will get that done then.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@AnthonySmith said:
    I will get that done then.

• Oh yes that's a good point, better search would be very nice. I have no idea about that add-on but if it doesn't satisfy, there are other ways to do it. I ran a big Solr instance (lucene.apache.org/solr) a while back and it is pretty powerful.

Thanked by (2)Ympker vimalware
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@seriesn said:
    More noob friendly tutorials + How to guides on the main blog :). I am not a big content writer but if sweet simple how to instructions works, will be happy to contribute.

@beagle said:

@seriesn said: More noob friendly tutorials + How to guides on the main blog

+1 for noob friendly tutorials. There are a lot of outdated tutorials online, so it would be good to find a source of curated up-to-date tutorials where outdated versions are periodically removed.

Since the blog is running on Grav I was wondering if we could leverage its integration with Github and users could contribute submitting improvement or corrections to the tutorials.

Besides that, discussions have been civil so far and moderation has been working well when needed.

topic suggestions?

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said:

@seriesn said:

@beagle said:

+1 for noob friendly tutorials. There are a lot of outdated tutorials online, so it would be good to find a source of curated up-to-date tutorials where outdated versions are periodically removed.

Since the blog is running on Grav I was wondering if we could leverage its integration with Github and users could contribute submitting improvement or corrections to the tutorials.

Besides that, discussions have been civil so far and moderation has been working well when needed.

topic suggestions?

How do I install web server?
    How do I access via ssh?
    How to open port xyz on centos/debian/ubuntu etc.

Most of those sounds like a no brainers but, we all been there :).

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • @seriesn said:

@mikho said:

@seriesn said:

@beagle said:

topic suggestions?

How do I install web server?
    How do I access via ssh?
    How to open port xyz on centos/debian/ubuntu etc.

Most of those sounds like a no brainers but, we all been there :).

Indeed.

• Basic security for instance:

• access via SSH
      • create another user, create keys, change settings to key-only auth, disable root login, change SSH port
      • install/setup firewall
      • install/setup fail2ban
    • Install LAMP/LEMP and optimise it

• Lost count how many out-dated tutorials I've found about installing NGINX or Apache + PHP + PHP-FPM and I still haven't found a decent one about NGINX for static content + Apache+PHP+PHP-FPM
      • NGINX or HAProxy as reverse proxy
      • Caching solutions
    • Backup solutions:

• rsync
      • borgbackup
    • Installing a VPN

• Even teaching how to use Nyr's installation script can be helpful for a newbie

Just a few off the top of my head.

Thanked by (3)vikram mikho Abdullah
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@seriesn @beagle
    thanks for the topics, added it to my wish list (name changed from TODO to wish-list). :D

Thanked by (1)beagle

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

@Ympker said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Yes, that'd be great! :)

ok sadly that feature is only available for the paid cloud-hosted version of vanilla so not so simple to implement, I will have to put that down as a future dev goal and do something with sphinx

• A simple focus on the user/email form field on the Sign In popup :

document.getElementById("Email").focus();