Offers wanted; looking for a new VPS in 3 different locations (APAC & EU)

For the past three years, I have been providing a public ad-blocking DNS service for free as a hobby project. Back in 2017, it was one of the very few (free) public ad-blocking DNS services. Nowadays there some big companies such as Quad9 are offering the same and I even had a guy copycat my entire website who consequently setup the same service under a similar name.

Anyway, currently the project is a victim of its own success. The VPSes I currently have do not cut it anymore. They are under heavy load thus leading to performance issues… and nobody likes a slow DNS server. Additionally, because Scaleway announced last month it’s going to increase it’s prices, I’m actively looking for a new home for the project, as I’m paying everything out of my own pocket.

Therefore I’m looking for offers for three VPSes (in total) with the following (minimum) specs:
2 CPU
2GB RAM
500GB Bandwidth
10GB Disk (SSD or HDD doesn't matter)
1x IPv4
1x IPv6
Virtualization type is irrelevant, as long as it supports Docker

Locations needed:
1x APAC (For example Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan etc)
1x Netherlands, UK or Germany
1x France, Italy or Austria

Contract terms:
Preferably monthly, but am willing to opt for a yearly contract depending on the provider's reputation if that saves on costs.

Budget:
The obvious answer to this one ;) Plus it's a hobby project of mine, so it's not worth it for me personally if the financial costs are outweighing the enjoyment I'm getting from providing this service for free to other people.

Thanks!

PS. I’m well aware of DNS amplification attacks. I have some mitigations in place to combat these, such as ignoring ANY queries and rate-limiting per IP address.

Comments

• MaxKVM 4GB Promotion? Single provider, under 20 USD monthly for 3 VPS.

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

2 CPU
    2GB RAM
    1.5TB Bandwidth
    25GB NVMe
    1x IPv4
    1x IPv6
    Can do for $5.8/month in SG & NL.
    Please PM if required, 10 day refund policy for new clients.

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • @AC_Fan said:
    MaxKVM 4GB Promotion? Single provider, under 20 USD monthly for 3 VPS.

@MaxKVM Sounds good, where can I find this promotion? I was unable to find it in their latest topic...

• @Freek said:

@AC_Fan said:

@MaxKVM Sounds good, where can I find this promotion? I was unable to find it in their latest topic...

On their website, under Promotions.

• @Freek said: 1x Netherlands, UK or Germany

I'm trying to get the logic here. These locations are all pretty close to eachother, especially for low-bandwith purposes. I'd also say that Germany should be in the second bunch and France in the first (Western vs Central Europe) ;).

Anyway, MaxKVM had good deals in Amsterdam and Singapore but I think these only apply on Saturdays. For NL you could also try HostUS (who offer both OpenVZ and KVM) and of course Liteserver.

As you're providing a service to the community, why not just reach out to providers that might be able to sponsor you a bit?

Thanked by (1)AlexanderM
  • @AC_Fan said:

@Freek said:

@AC_Fan said:

On their website, under Promotions.

Found it, thanks. Noted it down, will await further offers :)

@debaser said:

@Freek said: 1x Netherlands, UK or Germany

I'm trying to get the logic here. These locations are all pretty close to eachother, especially for low-bandwith purposes. I'd also say that Germany should be in the second bunch and France in the first (Western vs Central Europe) ;).

Anyway, MaxKVM had good deals in Amsterdam and Singapore but I think these only apply on Saturdays. For NL you could also try HostUS (who offer both OpenVZ and KVM) and of course Liteserver.

As you're providing a service to the community, why not just reach out to providers that might be able to sponsor you a bit?

Good point, but I would like to keep my options as open as possible. I can restrict them further along the line once I have received multiple offers :)

If you're a provider and reading along, I'm always open to sponsorship offers ;)

• BrendanBrendan Hosting ProviderOG

Send me a PM with your ideal specs, not just minimum. I'm sure I can find some space for you in Melbourne. I love supporting projects like this.

• Thanked by (3)seriesn Freek vimalware

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• @Freek said:
    For the past three years, I have been providing a public ad-blocking DNS service for free as a hobby project. Back in 2017, it was one of the very few (free) public ad-blocking DNS services. Nowadays there some big companies such as Quad9 are offering the same and I even had a guy copycat my entire website who consequently setup the same service under a similar name.

Anyway, currently the project is a victim of its own success. The VPSes I currently have do not cut it anymore. They are under heavy load thus leading to performance issues… and nobody likes a slow DNS server. Additionally, because Scaleway announced last month it’s going to increase it’s prices, I’m actively looking for a new home for the project, as I’m paying everything out of my own pocket.

Therefore I’m looking for offers for three VPSes (in total) with the following (minimum) specs:
    2 CPU
    2GB RAM
    500GB Bandwidth
    10GB Disk (SSD or HDD doesn't matter)
    1x IPv4
    1x IPv6
    Virtualization type is irrelevant, as long as it supports Docker

Locations needed:
    1x APAC (For example Singapore, Hong Kong, Japan etc)
    1x Netherlands, UK or Germany

Contract terms:
    Preferably monthly, but am willing to opt for a yearly contract depending on the provider's reputation if that saves on costs.

Budget:
    The obvious answer to this one ;) Plus it's a hobby project of mine, so it's not worth it for me personally if the financial costs are outweighing the enjoyment I'm getting from providing this service for free to other people.

Thanks!

PS. I’m well aware of DNS amplification attacks. I have some mitigations in place to combat these, such as ignoring ANY queries and rate-limiting per IP address.

Would be happy to sponsor DE location :). Shoot me a pm boss :)

Thanked by (3)Freek vimalware Not_Oles
  • I am curious, do you offer DNS over TLS and DNS over HTTPS?

Thanked by (2)Freek elliotc

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @Brendan said:
    Send me a PM with your ideal specs, not just minimum. I'm sure I can find some space for you in Melbourne. I love supporting projects like this.

@seriesn said:

Wow, did not expect this. PMs sent :) Thank you very much!

@chocolateshirt said:
    I am curious, do you offer DNS over TLS and DNS over HTTPS?

Yes, I do :)

Thanked by (1)elliotc
  • @Freek said:

@Brendan said:

@seriesn said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Then I would like to try your DNS.. :smile:

Thanked by (1)bdl

Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @Freek said:

@Brendan said:

@seriesn said:

@chocolateshirt said:

For people who don't know, Android user can set DoT for adblocking without any VPN or DNS app.
    Setting -> Connections -> More connection settings -> Private DNS

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Action and Reaction in history

• @chocolateshirt said:

@Freek said:

@Brendan said:

@seriesn said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Here you go:

For Netherlands, use nl.public-pihole.com as hostname for DoH & DoT.
    For France, use fr.public-pihole.com as hostname for DoH & DoT.
    For Canada, use ca.public-pihole.com as hostname for DoH & DoT.
    For Singapore, use sg.public-pihole.com as hostname for DoH & DoT.

Please do note that the name will change in approx 3 weeks to '*.adhole.org', as the backend is not running anymore on Pi-hole and thus the current name is no longer appropriate.

• edited August 2020

@Freek said:

@chocolateshirt said:

@Freek said:

@Brendan said:

@seriesn said:

@chocolateshirt said:

Here you go:

For Netherlands, use nl.public-pihole.com as hostname for DoH & DoT.
    For France, use fr.public-pihole.com as hostname for DoH & DoT.
    For Singapore, use sg.public-pihole.com as hostname for DoH & DoT.

Please do note that the name will change in approx 3 weeks to '*.adhole.org', as the backend is not running anymore on Pi-hole and thus the current name is no longer appropriate.

Nice, thank you for sharing with us..

I will try your service then.. :+1:

Thanked by (1)Freek

• edited August 2020

@HostUs edit: @AlexanderM @liteserver @ This is a legit project that could use some love. I was a user until recently.

• @vimalware said:
    HostUs

HostUS is @AlexanderM

Thanked by (3)vimalware Freek AlexanderM
  • liteserverliteserver Hosting ProviderOG

@vimalware said:
    @HostUs @liteserver @ This is a legit project that could use some love. I was a user until recently.

@Freek you can send us a email to [email protected] let's see what we can do to help you out!

Thanked by (2)vimalware Freek

LiteServer.nl - Since 2007 the place where quality meets you!
    NL located // AS60404 // KVM based NVMe, SSD and HDD Storage VPSes, NVME Shared and Reseller Hosting

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@Freek No North or South American locations?

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• edited August 2020

@vimalware said:
    @HostUs edit: @AlexanderM @liteserver @ This is a legit project that could use some love. I was a user until recently.

Thanks for the mentions <3 !

@liteserver said:

@vimalware said:
    @HostUs @liteserver @ This is a legit project that could use some love. I was a user until recently.

@Freek you can send us a email to [email protected] let's see what we can do to help you out!

Done, mail sent! Thanks!

@Not_Oles said:
    @Freek No North or South American locations?

Currently I have one location in Canada, but I am planning to replace with with a spare VPS I have idling in Dallas, Texas.

• Dallas, NL, SGP would cover the minimum set.

DE could be a good supplement to NL in EU.

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@Freek

Oh! Now I see

Breakfast + coffee makes a big difference!

You said you were using Docker. I was looking up about running Docker inside an LXC container such as the containers that I am offering at srvr.ovh.

The thought had crossed my mind to offer you a free container at OVH BHS Montreal datacenter. But it looks like you will be covering US and CA with Dallas.

I'm in Sonora, Mexico. I have great ping times to Dallas! :)

I looked at your public-pihole site and also at your personal site. I tried to buy you a coffee, but Paypal wouldn't let me log in. Being from New York City but coming from a Mexican IP sets off lots of fraud detection schemes. Maxmind seems guaranteed to shoot me down. In my limited experience, Stripe seems to work okay.

Best wishes and kindest regards!

Thanked by (1)Freek

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @Not_Oles said:
    @Freek

Oh! Now I see

Breakfast + coffee makes a big difference!

You said you were using Docker. I was looking up about running Docker inside an LXC container such as the containers that I am offering at srvr.ovh.

The thought had crossed my mind to offer you a free container at OVH BHS Montreal datacenter. But it looks like you will be covering US and CA with Dallas.

I'm in Sonora, Mexico. I have great ping times to Dallas! :)

I looked at your public-pihole site and also at your personal site. I tried to buy you a coffee, but Paypal wouldn't let me log in. Being from New York City but coming from a Mexican IP sets off lots of fraud detection schemes. Maxmind seems guaranteed to shoot me down. In my limited experience, Stripe seems to work okay.

Best wishes and kindest regards!

Thanks for the kind words, Not_Oles. Hmm, PayPal not letting people login from a Mexican IP should really hurt their business. Mexico is a pretty big country with a lot of potential customers :)

I'm indeed planning on serving 'the Americas' with the Dallas VPS, but it never hurts to have a secondary location in the same continent ;)

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Are you still looking for locations? I can help out with UK/London if required.

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • @Mr_Tom said:
    Are you still looking for locations? I can help out with UK/London if required.

The more the merrier :) Installation/setup is automated for the most part using Ansible. Once installed, maintenance is very low, as updates are automated (OS & Docker images). Thus I kindly to accept your offer :)
    Thank you!!

Thanked by (1)Mr_Tom
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Hosting Provider

@FAT32 said:

@vimalware said:
    HostUs

HostUS is @AlexanderM

Thanks for the tag! Very happy to support the project in one (or many) of our locations.

Alexander

Thanked by (2)Freek vimalware

HostUS | OpenVZ & KVM VPS in 10 worldwide locations with our own Breeze Panel!

• @AlexanderM said:

@FAT32 said:

@vimalware said:
    HostUs

HostUS is @AlexanderM

Thanks for the tag! Very happy to support the project in one (or many) of our locations.

Alexander

Thanks for the generous offer <3. PM Sent!

• edited September 2020

@Freek said:

@Mr_Tom said:

The more the merrier :) Installation/setup is automated for the most part using Ansible. Once installed, maintenance is very low, as updates are automated (OS & Docker images). Thus I kindly to accept your offer :)
    Thank you!!

Can we self host a node? :)

• @aaronstuder said:

@Freek said:

@Mr_Tom said:

Thank you!!

Can we self host a node? :)

You sure can! The code is open source: https://github.com/Freekers/ansible-adguard

However, please do note that I won't add any nodes to the project that are not under my control, as I cannot vouch for them. No hard feelings :)

• @Freek said:

However, please do note that I won't add any nodes to the project that are not under my control, as I cannot vouch for them. No hard feelings :)

Totally understandable :)