Changes to Docker’s policies: retention of inactive images and pull rates

Probably already known, but I received this email this morning:

Hello,

Docker offers numerous free services to our growing community of users and will continue doing so in the future. In order to sustainably scale this, we are making two policy updates in our terms of service. You are receiving this email so that you are aware of these updates, as they may impact you.

The first policy update is regarding retention of inactive images. Inactive images are defined as images that have not been pulled or pushed in 6 months. Starting November 1, 2020:

Free accounts may retain inactive images for up to 6 months
Pro and Team subscriptions may retain inactive images indefinitely

The second policy update is regarding limits on the number of image pulls. A pull is defined as up to two GET requests to the registry URL path ‘/v2//manifests/’. Again, starting November 1, 2020:

Anonymous users will have an upper limit of 100 image pulls in a six hour period
Accounts authenticated with a DockerID will have an upper limit of 200 image pulls in a six hour period
Pro and Team subscriptions do not have limits

For details please see the FAQ and our recent blog posts regarding the new inactive image retention and pull rate limit policies.

If you have a free account you may upgrade to a Pro or Team subscription here.

The updated Docker Terms of Service are available here.

Thank you for using Docker.

Jean-Laurent de Morlhon
VP, Engineering
Docker

I understand why they're doing this. There are loads of abandoned images floating around, taking up unnecessary space.

Related question; I have several Docker images on Docker Hub which are built automatically if I push code to Github. How can I setup scheduled / periodic image building?

Comments

• edited September 2020

To answer my own question;
    Create a build-trigger in your repository at Docker Hub
    Setup a cronjob that does a CURL -X POST [BuildTriggerUrlHere]
    Done

• If I read the policy correctly

1st policy if no one pull (download) your images 6 month policy applied.
    2nd policy limit download per 6 hours.

If that the case I think I'm good for now, since my docker images downloaded daily for our CI/CD setup

• @hey said:
    If I read the policy correctly

1st policy if no one pull (download) your images 6 month policy applied.
    2nd policy limit download per 6 hours.

If that the case I think I'm good for now, since my docker images downloaded daily for our CI/CD setup

Correct :)