Virtualmin

Anyone using Virtualmin? What is your experience?

Comments

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

I am. It is amazing. Best UI/UX in my opinion, and it just "works"

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • @lentro Are you using the the community or professional?

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@aaronstuder said:
    @lentro Are you using the the community or professional?

Community, as it comes with everything I need.

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • My opinion on virtualmin/webmin is the total opposite. :/

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• Running CE for a bunch of self hosted php scripts. Lychee, wp, wallabag

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • I've used it for years for simple usage. Now-a-days has lots of bloat. Still, the best free Web-panel to me.

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • somiksomik OG
    edited September 2020

@aaronstuder said:
    Anyone using Virtualmin? What is your experience?

Been using it since 2011. Community version. Thats about 9 years. Before that I used cPanel but got fedup paying $15 for features I never use.

@PHP_Backend said:
    I've used it for years for simple usage. Now-a-days has lots of bloat. Still, the best free Web-panel to me.

You can just not install the "bloat" or remove it once you get it installed if you dont need it. In my case, I disabled email processing addons as I do not need emails on the server.

For my dev server, I dont use any control panels, but for the main webhost server, I use Virtualmin.

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• @somik said: You can just not install the "bloat" or remove it once you get it installed if you dont need.

Yes, that's true. You can even uninstall virtualmin and your site still will be up. But hunting down bloats can lead to downtime, as we don't always know what that bloat does. And their update releases sometimes reinstalls/enable the package I removed. As I remember, I used to disable postfix every two or three times in a year.
    But, I like its modular system and "We won't mess with your server settings" philosophy.

• Virtualmin is sysadmin friendly. It doesn't break distro norms.

Pass --minimal to the install script for even leaner install.
    you can disable the unused daemons from the Startup/Shutdown list under webmin tab to make it even leaner.

Thanked by (1)PHP_Backend
  • I've also been using it for years. Tried cpanel, didn't like it and went back to Virtualmin.

• edited September 2020

Another user here, highly recommended. It supports both apache and nginx. I'm using the apache version as I don't get much traffic and apache version is the recommended one so why not. However, if you want to host high traffic sites, you might want nginx, and you might have a different experience.