Nvidia RTX 3070 twice the specs of the 2080Ti at less than half the price $499 ?!?!

InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I keep an eye on the graphics card market to let me know when to buy a new old one i.e. I stay 2 - 3 generations behind to keep acceptable performance for a none serious (modern) gamer.

However, if the RTX3070 is only $499 and doubles some of the specs of the 2080Ti at less than half the price of the 2080Ti I am thinking it may be time to go to current generation this time.

Apparently the last time anyone made such a huge advance in terms of making the 3rd tier card (3070, 3080 and 3090) double the specs of the previous generations top tier (2080Ti) was 2004 with the Nvidia 6600.

But with that crazy pricing as well, I wonder what that is going to mean for:

1) The used card 2080Ti market for those that probably only months ago spent $1200 on them?

2) Did shoe mining become home profitable again, a rig with 4 x 3070's (which has double the cuda cores of the 2080) now costs about $3500 less than it did 6 months ago for double the 'potential' mining performance, that is quite a chunk towards your electric bill?

3) Will older gens like the 1080TI 1660Ti and the lower 2070 series become throw away $100 cards?

This is going to be very disruptive to the market. As Linus said, they just made everything else obsolete.

https://inceptionhosting.com
Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

Thanked by (3)Abdullah vimalware poisson

Comments

• Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 : Challenge accepted.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin lgsin
  • ndelaespadandelaespada Hosting ProviderOG

@vimalware said:
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 : Challenge accepted.

I'm actually building a PC just to play this game, sounds crazy but I'm an aviation enthusiast and since it came out I've been playing it on my kid's PC, I've had to pull rank to get to play when he's on his PC a few times now, so decided to build my own. I have RAM, Mobo and CPU on their way, I haven't made up my mind on what graphic card to go for, so thanks for sharing @AnthonySmith

Owned-Networks | VPS and Web Hosting for every project size and budget
    DAL - LEN - LA - SEA - NYC - MIA - AMS - LON

• williewillie OG
    edited September 2020

The 3070 isn't really 2x as fast as a 2080ti. The 3080 is and it seems more interesting than the 3070 since it's quite a bit faster and it's $700, which is fairly cheap if you had previously been in the market for a 2080ti. The 3090 is a lot more expensive but has 24gb of ram instead of 10gb, which is important for some things. They are really trying to do market segmentation with pricing so you have to pay a lot more to get interesting capabilities. Interestingly there is no mention of double precision speed. I bet it will be terrible just to push users who want it into the data center products ($$$$$$$$).

I'll be interested to know if anyone has Leela Chess Zero running on a 30xx board yet. The boards aren't in stores yet, but developers can sometimes get them a bit earlier.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@willie said: The 3070 isn't really 2x as fast as a 2080ti.

maybe not in the final analysis (yet to be seen) but it is a significant jump up and for less than half the price.

I am looking forward to seeing the benchmarks for the first time in... hmm maybe since the GT220 :p

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Paid about 100$ for my video cards over the past decades. One every 5 years, on average.
    Great job by the marketing team in convincing people that 500$ for a video card is a good idea.

Thanked by (2)vimalware bugrakoc

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@bikegremlin said:
    Paid about 100$ for my video cards over the past decades. One every 5 years, on average.
    Great job by the marketing team in convincing people that 500$ for a video card is a good idea.

to be fair though if I was getting one of the latest-gen it would be second hand 6 months after release and it would last me 5 years+, still rocking a GTX960 atm :)

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin poisson

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@AnthonySmith said: 2) Did shoe mining become home profitable again, a rig with 4 x 3070's (which has double the cuda cores of the 2080) now costs about $3500 less than it did 6 months ago for double the 'potential' mining performance, that is quite a chunk towards your electric bill?

In our capitalist society, NVIDIA will produce as many GPUs as people are willing to buy. Miners are willing to buy until it becomes unprofitable (increasing block difficulty), so no, mining will eventually become like how it currently is.

3) Will older gens like the 1080TI 1660Ti and the lower 2070 series become throw away $100 cards?

That would be very nice for me :) - at FluidStack, we were sold out of all consumer GPUs last week. I think market forces will equalize this, as these old cards still do have value.

As @bikegremlin notes, most people don't really need the newest GPUs.

I am watching this now which is far more informative:

• @AnthonySmith said:

@bikegremlin said:

to be fair though if I was getting one of the latest-gen it would be second hand 6 months after release and it would last me 5 years+, still rocking a GTX960 atm :)

My sister still using a desktop running gtx650, take it for free from a internet cafe at Christmas. I don't know how many years it used.

Action and Reaction in history

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited September 2020

Kinda miffed about this.

Bought a 2070 super...then it had to go into storage for months...and now this.

And if that isn't enough of a kick in the balls...my first attempt at buying a 2070 off amazon warehouse...got hit by a scam...was a 2060 instead. And 5 months later the refund is still pending. Bloody COVID. Also managed to misplace the post tracking ref.

...so I basically spent 900ish on a GFX that is in storage than would have been handily beaten by a 500 card.

Cool cool...

• I’ll withhold judgement until I actually see raw benchmarks, but the cards definitely look quite appealing for the price.

I’m concerned about the VRAM though. 10GB on the 3080 is just not an acceptable amount for 1440p/4K gaming.

@havoc I felt pain reading that, sorry man. :anguished:

It don’t be like it is until it do.

• People on reddit are predicting a 3080ti with 16gb or 20gb coming down the pike.

• It's an easy tactic to knock AMD graphics back down in terms of mine share. But it's also capitalism at it's finest with competition increasing between duoopiles

• edited September 2020

May I plz have a $120 gently-loved RTX 2060? ?

2080Ti’s are now being sold for $500 on the second hand market.

Thanked by (1)willie

• somiksomik OG
    edited September 2020

@vimalware said:
    Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 : Challenge accepted.

Try it on highest res on a 8K TV and let me know how it goes :tongue:

@AnthonySmith said:

@bikegremlin said:

1060 here. Will definitely upgrade to the 3070.

@willie said:
    People on reddit are predicting a 3080ti with 16gb or 20gb coming down the pike.

FYI, it is called 3090 and it has 24GB onboard: https://nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3090/

@AnthonySmith said:
    2080Ti’s are now being sold for $500 on the second hand market.

It is a loss to buy it. Get the newer generation which will be more power efficient.

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

@somik said: It is a loss to buy it. Get the newer generation which will be more power efficient.

Oh I know, just pointing out that people are getting shot of them now while they still have any relative value when the 3070 drops at $499 I expect 2080Ti's to be on the second-hand market for as low as $300

• somiksomik OG
    edited September 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

@somik said: It is a loss to buy it. Get the newer generation which will be more power efficient.

Oh I know, just pointing out that people are getting shot of them now while they still have any relative value when the 3070 drops at $499 I expect 2080Ti's to be on the second-hand market for as low as $300

Sigh... Sucks to be the guy who just bought 2080Ti at 1200 to play Flight Sim 2020 and now is looking at losing 900 (after selling it for 300) and buying a 500 dollar card. That is 1400 dollars down the Nvidia drain for a 500 dollar card.

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.

• It is rumored that AMD will also have a decent GPU lineup waiting. Reason being is that nVidia has chosen to use a very high TDP for all cards whereas they could easily have downclocked the cards and thus limiting power usage. But they've chosen not to....

• @Freek said:
    It is rumored that AMD will also have a decent GPU lineup waiting. Reason being is that nVidia has chosen to use a very high TDP for all cards whereas they could easily have downclocked the cards and thus limiting power usage. But they've chosen not to....

I am waiting for big navi + zen3 processor no point of buying 3070 with zen2 processor

Want free vps ? https://microlxc.net

• FYI, it is called 3090

No I men they are predicting a 3080ti which is a 3080 refresh priced a little bit above the 3080, not >2x as much like the 3090. It will probably lack nvlink and have ~16gb not 24gb.

I noticed BTC took a small nose dive today, I wonder if this is related.

• The best GPU I've purchased in my life has been Nvidia x6x line. Personally, never purchased high-end GPU in my whole life.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.