10Gigabit Dedicated Experience

Do you currently or have you previously used dedicated servers on a 10 gigabit connection?

I'm considering migrating some of my boxes and was wondering what kind of experiences you can share with regards to dedicated servers using this connection.

Please include which host(s) you have experience with.

My main areas of focus are with regards to the hardware employed in order to achieve transfer speeds above the traditional 1 gigabit and if the additional cost of the service was justified for your particular use scenario.

Thank you in advance for your contributions to this thread!

Comments

• @vish said: transfer speeds above the traditional 1 gigabit

If you mean between servers in the same DC, then yes, you get that and it can be worth it. To the internet in general, YMMV.

Thanked by (1)vish
  • it is worth it in private networks ..... especially if you plan a node offering storage.

Thanked by (1)vish
  • avelineaveline Hosting ProviderOG

Yes it's worthy but usually we only need it for internal traffic.

Thanked by (1)vish

Misaka.io | Blazing fast AnyCast DNS with 60+ POPs GeoDNS, AXFR, DNSSEC supported.
    And Reliable high-performance virtual server | Ashburn, New York, Seattle, San Jose, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Singapore, São Paulo, Johannesburg

ping.sx | Ping any server from global locations in parallel

• edited September 2020

For internal traffic: Yes worth it 100%
    Internet traffic: Only if you're doing colo and sharing the pipe between multiple servers or racks (IMHO) OR - if you have multiple dedicated servers, and you're announcing an IP prefix that you have routed to your VLAN. You may want 10 Gbit on the server that's acting as your gateway/router.

We'll actually be offering 10Gbit on dedicated and VPS soon, but tbh not something I'd personally put on an every day dedicated server - UNLESS it's a giant hypervisor that processes a ton of traffic.

Thanked by (4)vish ehab wdmg vimalware

Tab Fitts | Founder/CEO - Spry Servers
    SSD Shared Hosting || VPS || Dedicated Servers || Network Status || PHX1 LG || DAL1 LG || || AS398646 || 1-844-799-HOST (4678)

• PureVoltagePureVoltage Hosting ProviderOG

We do quite a bit with 10gbps uplinks even multiple and mostly up to 40g. It really depends on if you have a usage for that amount of bandwidth.

The biggest thing to watch out for is if it's unmetered or metered. One will clearly cost more for you and if it's not needed can add up quickly.

We have also used IOFlood for some 10g and 20g systems for clients needing their location and have been happy with them.

Regarding hardware the biggest thing is drives being used and what type of application you are also using.

Thanked by (1)vish

PureVoltage - Custom Dedicated Servers Dual E5-2680v3 64gb ram 1TB nvme 100TB/10g $145
    New York Colocation - Amazing pricing 1U-48U+

• We have numerous public facing boxes with 10Gbps+ uplinks attached to them. For our use case, it’s definitely worth it.

While I admit, we do keep one staff-only hypervisor linked up with 4x10Gbps running into it and bonded. No, it serves no practical use, but it’s fun.

Thanked by (1)vish
  • ClouviderClouvider Hosting ProviderOG

@vish said: Do you currently or have you previously used dedicated servers on a 10 gigabit connection?

Yes. It can make things alot faster, but it does depend on your use case and application as to if you can make the most of it.

@vish said: My main areas of focus are with regards to the hardware employed in order to achieve transfer speeds above the traditional 1 gigabit and if the additional cost of the service was justified for your particular use scenario.

We use NVM'e mainly for Storage, the costings for us were minimal increases per server once we upgraded our distribution network to accomodate.

Thanked by (1)vish