Lab rats required to test new free hosting service

Comments

• Shells: ;)

• So it finally happened, the service has started getting attention from China and I am getting threats now that if I don't provide service they will DDoS. Surprised it has taken so long to be fair.

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider
    edited March 2020

@Lee said:
    So it finally happened, the service has started getting attention from China and I am getting threats now that if I don't provide service they will DDoS. Surprised it has taken so long to be fair.

Edit:

Both EU and LA are DDoS Protected, so we shall be fine in case anything happens.

• @MikePT said: Both EU and LA are DDoS Protected, so we shall be fine in case anything happens.

Not really the servers providing the services that are at risk, more my website at DigitalOcean. We will see what happens, not phased by it. What some users don't like is that I am on top of what they are doing when services are given. Only affecting Las Vegas and Singapore, no surprise there!

Thanked by (3)vimalware MikePT pepa65
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@Lee said:

@MikePT said: Both EU and LA are DDoS Protected, so we shall be fine in case anything happens.

Not really the servers providing the services that are at risk, more my website at DigitalOcean. We will see what happens, not phased by it. What some users don't like is that I am on top of what they are doing when services are given. Only affecting Las Vegas and Singapore, no surprise there!

Oh well, let's see how it goes, hopefully it'll go unnoticed.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

@Lee The Internet post-2003 is why we can't have nice things.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @WSS said: @Lee The Internet post-1998 is why we can't have nice things.

FTFY

Thanked by (1)WSS
  • WSSWSS OGRetired

@Lee said:

@WSS said: @Lee The Internet post-1998 is why we can't have nice things.

FTFY

I was trying to not sound so old.

Thanked by (2)Lee vimalware

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• Hi @Lee , I signed up for the service just now, just so you know I'm not from China nor intending to resell for money..!

• @Lee you can cancel my request, I hadn't noticed it's only for 1 year.

• @pepa65 said: @Lee you can cancel my request, I hadn't noticed it's only for 1 year.

Done, Although I don't know where you got that information from, it is not just for a year.

• @Lee said:
    You can find the new site at - HostingCubes.net

Late to the party and the link is dead.
    So is this testing phase over?

• BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

@milkboy said:

@Lee said:
    You can find the new site at - HostingCubes.net

Late to the party and the link is dead.
    So is this testing phase over?

Think so, maybe coz of some "chaineze" he faced a lot of issues and had to close down the service altogether? I liked the simple backend panel though :) nicely done.

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited September 2020

I think Lee isn't really active here.

In theory, this is a nice free service. But it just gave me a headache after signing up. I was planning to use the hosting service for a weblog that isn't really active as in a lot of new posts, but gets some visitors from Google so I wanted to keep it online at the lowest possible cost. Lee's service seemed perfect for that.

After a month my account got suspended. I still had access to their panel, so entered a ticket and asked Lee why is was suspended. Lee reffered to the terms and stated that my website wasn't "active". I wanted to ask what his definition of active was, but I couldn't.

Because after he replied to me ticket, Lee simply banned me. No notification, no clarification. Just a ban. Website was gone as well. Of course, it being a free service, I had a backup. Missed 1 post, but well.

After this I've sent him a PM here to remove all of my personal data from his database, but as that's 4 months ago I don't think I'll get an answer and all my personal information will stay in his database forever. Which is what actually bothers me the most.

• @debaser The same thing happened with me. I idled a test invoice ninja install for 50days.

When I checked back in, it was suspended. I didn't bother to ticket.
    After all, I'd agreed to this as a term of service. I figure someone else can use that SGP slot. ✌️

I have since found great deals for Singapore KVMs. So, it all worked out.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@debaser said:
    I think Lee isn't really active here.

In theory, this is a nice free service. But it just gave me a headache after signing up. I was planning to use the hosting service for a weblog that isn't really active as in a lot of new posts, but gets some visitors from Google so I wanted to keep it online at the lowest possible cost. Lee's service seemed perfect for that.

After a month my account got suspended. I still had access to their panel, so entered a ticket and asked Lee why is was suspended. Lee reffered to the terms and stated that my website wasn't "active". I wanted to ask what his definition of active was, but I couldn't.

Because after he replied to me ticket, Lee simply banned me. No notification, no clarification. Just a ban. Website was gone as well. Of course, it being a free service, I had a backup. Missed 1 post, but well.

After this I've sent him a PM here to remove all of my personal data from his database, but as that's 4 months ago I don't think I'll get an answer and all my personal information will stay in his database forever. Which is what actually bothers me the most.

Try hosting your project at https://infinityfree.net

Idling a Divi install on a freenom tk domain there for a year?! already. No issues. Technically even "unlimited"resources.

• Do NOT try this free hosting! Very bad exp from me!
    My site is good, active, but my account got banded because he closed Singapore location.

Lesson learned.

• Although I understand the attraction of "free", a modest but reliable web hosting service really doesn't cost much these days, so I personally would prefer to pay something for peace of mind and accountability of the provider rather than to rely on a free service

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @angstrom said:
    Although I understand the attraction of "free", a modest but reliable web hosting service really doesn't cost much these days, so I personally would prefer to pay something for peace of mind and accountability of the provider rather than to rely on a free service

Agree! I have ~ 30 idle VPS and 5 hosting accounts. But I still give them a try to see how it goes.
    Lee didnt keep his words, so everyone should stay away from his 'free' hosting!

• Since leaving Blesta behind my intention with the custom panel was automation over human intervention. Admittedly it is not perfect by any means and I do regularly tweak settings where I see false positive, however, in the main it does what it is supposed to do.

@debaser said: Because after he replied to me ticket, Lee simply banned me. No notification, no clarification. Just a ban. The website was gone as well. Of course, it being a free service, I had a backup. Missed 1 post, but well.

The above is an example of where it goes wrong, apologies for that. Once it gets past a certain point I don't actually get to review it so 'assume' for the most part the system got it right.

As you can imagine it's a free service, which also means an abused service. I will never get into a public discussion about individual cases but the majority of times, the terms are broken, then a ticket is opened with 'where can I find the terms' after the account is provided. Or an account is banned (the only account you should have) and I get a ticket from a different account asking why their other account was banned. Then there are other ways of catching people logging into different accounts at the same time and so on..

My point is that often the decision is not as harsh as people like to make out publically, but I can live with that for a free service.

Currently, 187 active services with 52% of them being at least 5 months old, which is around the time I started pushing the service. Not a big number but that is not important to me vs people using it the right way, I am pretty happy with that although I accept I (it) will get it wrong at times. The DirectAdmin API can be a bit temperamental at times which also does not help.

• @Lee Hi Sir,, may i want to reactive my account?

what recruitments for it?

• debaserdebaser OG
    edited September 2020

@Lee said: My point is that often the decision is not as harsh as people like to make out publically, but I can live with that for a free service.

Well, to be fair I didn't go public with my experience for 4 months because it is a free service. My post was just to warn people that the site has to be 'active' but that there's no real definition for that. It might be good to make that point more concrete.

• @Ganonk said: @Lee Hi Sir,, may i want to reactive my account?

If you can log in drop in a ticket if you can't then register again but pm me your username.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk
  • thanks you very much ?

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • @debaser said: Well, to be fair I didn't go public with my experience

I wasn't directing that at you.

• @debaser said:

@Lee said: My point is that often the decision is not as harsh as people like to make out publically, but I can live with that for a free service.

Well, to be fair I didn't go public with my experience for 4 months because it is a free service. My post was just to warn people that the site has to be 'active' but that there's no real definition for that. It might be good to make that point more concrete.

Shared Hosting is cheap nowadays, example: https://smallweb.net/order/main/packages/budget/?group_id=45
    Dont put your data on free hosting!

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@sonic said:

@debaser said:

Shared Hosting is cheap nowadays, example: https://smallweb.net/order/main/packages/budget/?group_id=45
    Dont put your data on free hosting!

I don’t think anyone needs to be told not to put anything they care about even a little bit on free hosting :) do they?

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said: I don’t think anyone needs to be told not to put anything they care about even a little bit on free hosting do they?

Yes, only if it's our @sonic acting like he falls under rated PG.

• I was just happy to have access to a softaculous deploy system to quickly spin up php bundles for common apps to try them first.
    I was not going to host an invoice system on free hosting ??