Looking for dirt cheap traffic for Tor middle relays

Tor network needs more bandwidth that is not on Hetzner or Scaleway or OVH or NetCup or Contabo. I'm looking for some cheap traffic (less than $8 for 100 mbit/s).

CPU & RAM & Disk can be as low as 10% vcore, 512MB, 5GB HDD. Port speed can be 100 or 1000 or 10000 mbit/s, will not generate traffic spikes.

Could you recommend some providers? Thank you.

Comments

• BuyVM slices are tor-friendly with unlimited bandwidth. I'm not sure what their port speed is though.

• I always get scared when I see "Unmetered Bandwidth" for a low price. Though I admit BuyVM is rock solid, I'd rather prefer "unthrottled X TB traffic @Y mbit, then capped @Z mbit" style. Since I'm running network intensive services, I don't want to cause troubles for others, even I manually limit Tor burst speed to ?MB/s so no traffic spike would happen.

And I don't want to deal with Tor abuse tickets, so I'd rather run middle relays, but exit relays. I hear BuyVM in Luxembourg ignores DMCAs, but they are constantly out of stock. I think pretty much abuse complaints are DMCAs? If I use Las Vegas or New York, according to BuyVM's ToS, they can't ignore DMCAs since they follow a Law of the Land stance?

• @jaden said: BuyVM slices are tor-friendly with unlimited bandwidth.

Subject to a fair use policy which last I checked was a bunch of terabytes per month, depending on slice size. It was a reasonable limit, but not really unmetered. They probably have a soft limits on bandwidth usage but will not let you waste 10 or more terabytes per month (my guess).

• BuyVM slices unmetered right. How would they do a fair use policy if they don't know how much you use. Or am I being an idiot?

• @Nyr said:

@jaden said: BuyVM slices are tor-friendly with unlimited bandwidth.

Subject to a fair use policy which last I checked was a bunch of terabytes per month, depending on slice size. It was a reasonable limit, but not really unmetered. They probably have a soft limits on bandwidth usage but will not let you waste 10 or more terabytes per month (my guess).

100mbps per 4GB of RAM. That's the only limit for sustained usage.

• If you're operating a middle relay (non-exit) then you can really use any provider except the ones that specifically ToS ban Tor since your traffic will never leave the Tor network and attract abuse complaints, but if you're looking for an affordable provider for an exit node, PM me

• @AC_Fan said:

@Nyr said:

So max 12.5 mbps (in both directions?) for the basic slice, which would be enough otherwise. Of course is a reasonable limit for the pricing, but not unmetered.

• @Nyr said:

@AC_Fan said:

@Nyr said:

So max 12.5 mbps (in both directions?) for the basic slice, which would be enough otherwise. Of course is a reasonable limit for the pricing, but not unmetered.

Thats almost 4TB which is great for the price and relaxed ToS

• @mikewazar said: Thats almost 4TB which is great for the price

Sure, but not unmetered and a Tor relay could do those 4TB in a day, so it is an important consideration.

• Low end people are never satisfied though.
    Hell, they even complain about free stuff.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• If I were thinking to run an exit, I'd rather take the money I would have spent and donated it to EFF or something. $1 to them versus money potentially enabling some bad stuff is iffy.

• @mikewazar said:
    If I were thinking to run an exit, I'd rather take the money I would have spent and donated it to EFF or something. $1 to them versus money potentially enabling some bad stuff is iffy.

I donate to FSF EFF Tor regularly, still wanna dedicate some money to Tor relays.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @Nyr said:

I think inbound is always free and truly unmetered?

I'm really tired of seeking hidden rules when looking for servers. I understand due to human costs, some providers have little to none knowledgebases, even poorly written FAQs.
    Maybe we start a dedicated thread for these hidden rules and gotchas?

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
    edited September 2020

@let2les said:
    Tor network needs more bandwidth that is not on Hetzner or Scaleway or OVH or NetCup or Contabo. I'm looking for some cheap traffic (less than $8 for 100 mbit/s).

CPU & RAM & Disk can be as low as 10% vcore, 512MB, 5GB HDD. Port speed can be 100 or 1000 or 10000 mbit/s, will not generate traffic spikes.

Could you recommend some providers? Thank you.

Please post acceptable data transfer you can adjust & someone may be able to do it. Like 25TB/month works?

• @Abdullah said:
    Please post acceptable data transfer you can adjust & someone may be able to do it. Like 25TB/month works?

~26TB in + ~25TB out is what vnstat -m typically gives, on a dedicated 100m server.

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

@let2les I saw a Lithuania vps offer on the other forum with unmetered 100mbps for about $3

• XetHostXetHost Hosting Provider
    edited October 2020

rules not read, post content removed

XetHost | VPS, Dedicated servers, SMTP services from Hungary | We accept Bitcoin and altcoins!

• edited October 2020

Don't you need a tag? @AnthonySmith

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@XetHost said:
    rules not read, post content removed

Feel free to read the rules and apply for a provider tag. Until then don’t post offers or advertise in your signature.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• rm_rm_
    edited October 2020

Dunno if still relevant, but it's only a couple of months old, so...

@let2les said: I'm looking for some cheap traffic (less than $8 for 100 mbit/s).

You will have a hard time reaching 100 Mbit with those specs, for CPU I guess you assume AES acceleration must be present, but even then. And in my current experience two relay processes (it is common to run two per IP to get a better bandwidth utilization) really struggle to fit into 1 GB RAM, I guess one will have issues fitting into 512 MB these days.