MXRoute for Dummies (Me)

I'm trying to route server messages from my VPS to my hotmail account, via MXRoute.
Most of my VPS and dedicated server instances can send out with little issue (eventually) but some do get blocked. Of course, Microsoft is as much use as a chocolate teacup when it comes to saying exactly why. The servers aren't on the typical blocklists either - ruling out the AT&T/SBCglobal etc. group, whom also have there own blocks. Anyway..

My first VPS has DirectAdmin on it (thanks @Ant) but eventually I want to do similar with a WHM/cPanel one.
My MXRoute account has domain1.net (DA) and domain2.com (cPanel) domains added, along with [email protected] and [email protected] email forwarders to [email protected]
My hostname.domain1.net has the MX records set for MXroute at the Registrar (Porkbun)

At the DA admin, set the MX records for hostname.domain1.net set to MXroute
I've commented out the hostname FQDN from /etc/virtual/domains and DA now shows email as remote.

Now I'm stuck. :'(

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

Comments

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

Just send root emails to an address hosted at MXroute and then forward that address to your Hotmail account. Keep in mind, however, that you're intentionally tying one arm behind your back by using Hotmail, expect most/all of it to go to spam. Especially root cron/LFD notifications, etc. Dare I say it's a recipe for disaster really but that's really your call. Just don't end up sending 4,000 CSF/LFD emails to Hotmail every hour or I'll probably create a filter for it :joy:

So like:

echo "root: [email protected]" >> /etc/aliases

Done

Thanked by (1)AlwaysSkint

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• edited September 2020

@jarland said:
    Just send root emails to an address hosted at MXroute and then forward that address to your Hotmail account. Keep in mind, however, that you're intentionally tying one arm behind your back by using Hotmail, expect most/all of it to go to spam. Especially root cron/LFD notifications, etc. Dare I say it's a recipe for disaster really but that's really your call. Just don't end up sending 4,000 CSF/LFD emails to Hotmail every hour or I'll probably create a filter for it :joy:

So like:

echo "root: [email protected]" >> /etc/aliases

Done

I set up postfix SMTP relay on my server so all email from system will go to mxroute. But, the problem I encounter is the email relayed only signed by SPF, without DKIM signature and DMARC.

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

@chocolateshirt said: without DKIM

Exim seems to sign that based solely on the From header from what I can tell. And it's case sensitive, so "[email protected]" gets signed and "[email protected]" doesn't.

Thanked by (1)chocolateshirt

• edited September 2020

@jarland said: Especially root cron/LFD notifications, etc.

These are precisely the ones that I was hoping to relay. On average, 20-30/day: notifications for root login (me), backup completions, create/delete accounts i.e. just typical key server notifications. I restrict CSF emails to just a few key ones, not even netblocks 'cos sod 'em. ;)
    Some of my other servers email via my own domain, which are subsequently forwarded to hotmail but that's not ideal really. The advantage is that my own domain signs the outgoing emails.

@chocolateshirt said: I set up postfix SMTP relay on my server..

This sounds like a plan. It would be useful to know the settings required to achieve this.

I think that I've setup a relay to my own domain on a Virmach cheapo that's running CWP but that was months ago.

I haven't utilised my super dooper BF 2yr MXroute deal, so want to at least get something from it. ;)

If you want to actually SMTP auth and send them to Hotmail through MXroute properly, that might be a much more complex setup. Suppose you could configure exim to relay all mail through MXroute and then exclude domains that you don't want sent through it in the exim router. Similarly to this: https://mailchannels.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/203690460-Exim-Exclude-sender-receiver-domains-from-routing-through-MailChannels-Outbound-Filtering-

• Thanks. Actually, at this stage I'm struggling to get anything to work.
    Have set an alias and running test now. I've tried to relay by just adding a forwarder in MXRoute.
    I'll try adding an email account and see if something has arrives.

• Sendmail on Debian, sends mail via MXRoute's SMTP to my Outlook via DirectAdmin forwarder. Outlook.com domain-wide whitelist for my personal domain. Never a days problem and 100% delivery rate.

• @mikewazar said: Sendmail on Debian, sends mail via MXRoute's SMTP to my Outlook via DirectAdmin forwarder. Outlook.com domain-wide whitelist for my personal domain. Never a days problem and 100% delivery rate.

Good to know but doesn't help me get it setup & working

• edited September 2020

@jarland said:

@chocolateshirt said: without DKIM

Exim seems to sign that based solely on the From header from what I can tell. And it's case sensitive, so "[email protected]" gets signed and "[email protected]" doesn't.

Thank you, Jar. I think it caused by the difference between sender address and authentication address. The system sent email using [email protected] and [email protected] while the authetication using [email protected]

Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I suggest using hotmail it outlook or another ms domain to send to hotmail. Pretty much the only way.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited September 2020

@AlwaysSkint said: @mikewazar said: Sendmail on Debian, sends mail via MXRoute's SMTP to my Outlook via DirectAdmin forwarder. Outlook.com domain-wide whitelist for my personal domain. Never a days problem and 100% delivery rate.

Good to know but doesn't help me get it setup & working

In sendmail.mc

define(SMART_HOST',yourhost.mxlogin.com')dnl
    define(RELAY_MAILER_ARGS',TCP $h 587')
    define(confAUTH_MECHANISMS',EXTERNAL GSSAPI DIGEST-MD5 CRAM-MD5 LOGIN PLAIN')dnl
    FEATURE(authinfo',hash /etc/mail/authinfo')dnl

/etc/mail/authinfo
    AuthInfo:yourhost.mxlogin.com "U:[email protected]" "I:[email protected]" "P:passwd-hash" "M:PLAIN"

also need running saslauthd

Thanked by (2)AlwaysSkint mikewazar

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• edited September 2020

Thanks for the pointers. Given that I'm using Centos 7 rather than debian on these servers, I've now found this:
    https://help.directadmin.com/item.php?id=153 but seems to refer to some missing sections. :-/
    To be continued../Watch next week's episode of Soap. ;)

• FrankZFrankZ Moderator
    edited September 2020

@AlwaysSkint said: Given that I'm using Centos 7 rather than debian on these servers

FYI, my last comment works on Centos 7 with sendmail and sendmail-cf yum packages.
    It also assumes you wish to send all mail from server thru mxroute :)
    Good luck,I hope you get it working :+1:

I am currently traveling in mostly remote areas until sometime in April 2024. Consequently DM's sent to me will go unanswered during this time.
    For staff assistance or support issues please use the helpdesk ticket system at https://support.lowendspirit.com/index.php?a=add

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I suggest using hotmail it outlook or another ms domain to send to hotmail. Pretty much the only way.

Even that is hit and miss, in my Hotmail even email mailed by Microsoft there self eg Office and Xbox ends in junks.

• Giving it a rest for a wee bit, before I totally screw up email delivery. I only want to forward the server messages through MXRoute and my client emails are working fine.
    Gawd, never thought this would be so problematic! Maybe it's an age thing. :'(

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

• edited September 2020

I think that I may have cracked it! =)
    Along with the DA article above, I found this, which helped me understand a little bit more:
    https://servermanager.guide/162/how-to-install-directadmin-control-panel-on-centos-7/#ses
    Hmm, all looks good, I thought. Time to debug the SMTP connection using telnet.. hang on looks as though my 2 intended victims servers aren't connecting.. are they blocked? My own laptop is connecting.
    Light bulb moment! :#
    Check the IP of the receiving mxroute - damn, it's Hetzner. I block all Hetzner, due to repeated port scanning from many of their VPS. Add the receiver mxroute to csf.allow.. Tada, connecting and one email in the queue has been delivered via hotmail.
    Phew!

Hope that you enjoyed the journey. :3

Thanked by (1)FrankZ

• Some of tutorial from @jarland : https://community.mxroute.com/t/postfix-settings/1136/2

Similar with my relay setting..