Yet Another Benchmark Script (YABS) - Linux Benchmarking Script using dd, iperf, & Geekbench

13»

Comments

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Geek5 needs to download more ram to work.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@cybertech said:

Of course... get downloading! - https://downloadmoreram.com/

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @Mason said:

@cybertech said:

Of course... get downloading! - https://downloadmoreram.com/

Gotta download that 16GB of stick

Thanked by (1)Mason

Small update pushed to the repo to address some fio interoperability issues with the pre-compiled binary. New fio binary is being compiled with the "--disable-native" flag so that generic qemu/non-AVX CPUs don't throw an error.

edited September 2020

Hi all, please consider participating in the poll below to help me gauge interest in which iperf3 locations should be used by YABS for network testing. There are 18 options, but please narrow down your selection to your TOP 5 choices.

http://www.strawpoll.me/20938564

If there's any reason you DON'T want a specific location added, please voice your concerns here (i.e. if you've experienced reliability issues, location is significantly slower than others in the same region, etc.). I appreciate all the help! Feel free to share the poll link with anyone else that regularly uses the script. @Clouvider has recently added public iperf3 servers to all 6 of his POPs, so there's plenty of "new" locations to consider.

In other news...

YABS updates in the works:

• Fix web scrape to get GB4 results from curl (GB's web design changed slightly, so it doesn't grab the scores currently) -- DONE (implemented in 'testing' branch)
    • Add longer wait time after GB test concludes to allow results to be posted in time -- DONE (implemented in 'testing' branch)
    • Add ability to use a GB paid license key to unlock the full GB test -- DONE (implemented in 'testing' branch)
    • Update pre-compiled binary for fio (v3.17 -> v3.23)
    • Update pre-compiled binary for iperf3 (v3.7 -> v3.9)
    • Alter iperf3 test locations for the network speed tests based on feedback provided in the poll

nothing in asia? biznet not really the benchmark here

@cybertech said:

Nothing that I can find. But please give me a shout if you find a public iperf server or a provider willing to sponsor a public iperf location! Would be great to get APAC covered.

Thanked by (1)cybertech

• @cybertech said:

I hope there is iperf3 server in SG and in JP/HK.

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• Didn't know Clouvider had a iPerf3 location in LA. It would be great if you could include that. The HE location in Fremont is almost always busy.

Thanked by (1)Mason

@saibal said:
    Didn't know Clouvider had a iPerf3 location in LA. It would be great if you could include that. The HE location in Fremont is almost always busy.

My thoughts exactly. Don't like how HE.net is busy constantly, so the swap with Clouvider in the same region is definitely going to happen.

Thanked by (1)saibal

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@Mason said: Don't like how HE.net is busy constantly

Has anybody asked HE about possibly increasing their iperf3 capacity?

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@Not_Oles said:

@Mason said: Don't like how HE.net is busy constantly

Has anybody asked HE about possibly increasing their iperf3 capacity?

Looks like it's someone running it on a VPS in a HE data center, so probably not much more he can do. It's all good, though, since the Clouvider location is close by.

edited September 2020

Thoughts on these iperf providers/locations? -

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv4):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                              |                           |                 |
    Clouvider                 | London, UK (10G)          | 1.97 Gbits/sec  | 2.38 Gbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 1.87 Gbits/sec  | 2.14 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 2.17 Gbits/sec  | 1.19 Gbits/sec
    Wifx                      | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 1.70 Gbits/sec  | 488 Mbits/sec
    Biznet                    | Jakarta, Indonesia (1G)   | 6.24 Mbits/sec  | 102 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider                 | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 9.39 Gbits/sec  | 9.33 Gbits/sec
    Velocity Online           | Tallahassee, FL, US (10G) | 1.84 Gbits/sec  | 2.89 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider                 | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 2.37 Gbits/sec  | 2.46 Gbits/sec
    Iveloz Telecom            | Sao Paulo, BR (2G)        | 129 Mbits/sec   | 218 Mbits/sec

iperf3 Network Speed Tests (IPv6):
    ---------------------------------
    Provider                  | Location (Link)           | Send Speed      | Recv Speed
                              |                           |                 |
    Clouvider                 | London, UK (10G)          | 1.93 Gbits/sec  | 2.35 Gbits/sec
    Online.net                | Paris, FR (10G)           | 2.54 Gbits/sec  | 2.16 Gbits/sec
    WorldStream               | The Netherlands (10G)     | 2.21 Gbits/sec  | 1.37 Gbits/sec
    Wifx                      | Zurich, CH (10G)          | 186 Mbits/sec   | 606 Mbits/sec
    Clouvider                 | NYC, NY, US (10G)         | 9.27 Gbits/sec  | 9.28 Gbits/sec
    Clouvider                 | Los Angeles, CA, US (10G) | 2.35 Gbits/sec  | 2.46 Gbits/sec

Attempting to find a good mix of diverse locations and popular data hubs, but also not trying to get carried away with too many tests.

Thanked by (2)nullnothere cybertech

• @Mason said: Thoughts on these iperf providers/locations? -

Looks good to me. It's a nice balance between locations and number or tests.

• @beagle said:

@Mason said: Thoughts on these iperf providers/locations? -

Looks good to me. It's a nice balance between locations and number or tests.

Seconded - well balanced across providers and locations.

Separately though, what (IMHO) would be nice is to also have an AUS presence (I know bandwidth is expensive down under...).
    Similarly it would be nice if there was another/more APAC location(s) (HK or SG and/or Japan).

Thank you.

@nullnothere said:
    Separately though, what (IMHO) would be nice is to also have an AUS presence (I know bandwidth is expensive down under...).
    Similarly it would be nice if there was another/more APAC location(s) (HK or SG and/or Japan).

Thank you.

Agreed on that. However, I don't own or pay for any of the iperf locations, so I'm just relying on what's publicly available. Unfortunately coverage in APAC is severely lacking, probably due to bandwidth considerations like you said. Always on the lookout for new locations to add to get better diversity :)

edited September 2020

iirc bench.sh used to use vultr/linode asia test servers. not sure if they can be used.

@cybertech said:
    iirc bench.sh used to use vultr/linode asia test servers. not sure if they can be used.

Aye, but I think they are basic http downloads, not iperf.

Thanked by (1)cybertech

• Hello @Mason just want to say that it would really nice if you separated the iperf test by locations like bench monster did. 10 locations in europe, 10 in usa, 10 in asia and oceania. For example

curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -eu
    curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -us
    curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -asiaoceania

Thanked by (2)dosai Mason
  • edited December 2020

@Anon said:
    Hello @Mason just want to say that it would really nice if you separated the iperf test by locations like bench monster did. 10 locations in europe, 10 in usa, 10 in asia and oceania. For example

I don't think it will do as the iperf server quantity is pretty small. In Asia itself, only one public iperf server available which is in Indonesia.

Thanked by (2)Mason Anon

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

@Anon said: Hello @Mason just want to say that it would really nice if you separated the iperf test by locations like bench monster did. 10 locations in europe, 10 in usa, 10 in asia and oceania.

Hey there! As @chocolateshirt mentioned, public iperf servers are few and far between. I wish I could find 10 in EU, US, & APAC, but unfortunately that's not a possibility at this point with what's out there. So with the limited number of locations, it wouldn't make sense right now to split them up by selectable regions. If at any point in time, there's a larger number of iperf locations that I can include in the script, then I just may consider doing something like this.

Thanks for the interest and suggestion!

• @Anon said:
    Hello @Mason just want to say that it would really nice if you separated the iperf test by locations like bench monster did. 10 locations in europe, 10 in usa, 10 in asia and oceania. For example

You do know that on a high bandwidth VPS, each location is a few GB's? Now, if you have a 4TB bandwidth per month, you're probably not going to care. But if your bandwidth is 250GB a month, you probably will.

• Is it just me or are @Clouvider s iperf servers always busy? Especially those in London and LA.

@debaser said:
    Is it just me or are @Clouvider s iperf servers always busy? Especially those in London and LA.

Yeah, think I'm gonna change them out in the repo until the issues are resolved. They need to be rebooted.

Also this has me motivated to make a little iperf server monitor that will keep track of all available iperf servers and alert me when any are down and need to be swapped with something else.

• Make the script grab a list of available iperf servers on the fly from an often updated list maybe?