Borg backup in docker container on a Synology?

mikhomikho AdministratorOG

Title says it all, in a compressed form ;)

What I’m looking for are comments/feesback on an idea that sprung to mind today as I talked with a relative.

He is paying waay to much for an off-site file backup.
Mainly because it is delivered as a service and he never has to do anything with it.

Basicly my idea is to put a Synology on-site, run a Borg Backup docker container on it and backup everything put on the Synology to an off-site, storage.

Has anyone tried something like this?

To put the money into perspective, he pays for 250GB off-site storage(actual two locations as its replicated data), one client (java).

Total price 3250 SEK ~ €290/month.
In my calculations, rent that storage somewhere and the Synology will be pid for within 6 months.
And he will get waay more storage to backup to.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

Comments

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited September 2020

A O365 personal/family sub and duplicati on his (presumably) windows computer will do basically the same thing for 60-75 USD a year.

Lacks the cool factor though.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@havoc said:
    A O365 personal/family sub and duplicati on his (presumably) windows computer will do basically the same thing for 60-75 USD a year.

Lacks the cool factor though.

The advantage if the Synology is that I can backup his virtual machines (yes, this is work related) onto the Synology with Veeam and then backup off-site.
    Meaning I can kill two birds with one stone.

• pip install borgmatic in a virtualenv owned by root.

I don't know if the docker is worth it. I like to manually manage borg versions on both ends after carefully reviewing changelogs for dataloss-impacting changes

@vimalware said:
    pip install borgmatic in a virtualenv owned by root.

I don't know if the docker is worth it. I like to manually manage borg versions on both ends after carefully reviewing changelogs for dataloss-impacting changes

I’m running my Unifi controller and pi-hole as docker containers on my own Synology.
    Thats part of what triggered the idea.

Thanked by (2)vimalware skorous

• beaglebeagle OG
    edited September 2020

I'm not familiar with Synology, but based on my experience with QNAP it should have a offisite/cloud backup solution baked in and the interface is usually very user friendly.

@beagle said:
    I'm not familiar with Synology, but based on my experience with QNAP it should have a offisite/cloud backup solution baked in and the interface is usually very user friendly.

It has a couple of alternatives.
    Some better then others, which shows in the price for the service.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer
    edited September 2020

@mikho said: The advantage if the Synology is that I can backup his virtual machines (yes, this is work related) onto the Synology with Veeam and then backup off-site.
    Meaning I can kill two birds with one stone.

ah right. Yeah that makes sense. I'd still consider O365 for the offsite part though. 6TB of storage w/ MS reliability for 75 bucks is hella cheap

• I did a similar thing for some time, but the clients that sent the data were servers from outside the network.
    But at some point I switched to a storage VPS and BorgBase, way less moving parts...

By the way, the SynoCommunity repository offers borg: https://synocommunity.com/package/borgbackup
    Maybe you can reduce the complexity by using this and then just use CloudSync (or HyperBackup) on the Synology to push the data elsewhere.

I might have been unclear when writing down my thoughts.

Borg wouldnonly be used to puch the data on the Synology (that is on-site) to a storage off-site.

There will be no backups from clients or anything.

I’ve considered the built in features in Synology but this way I could keep the off-site data for myself.

@havoc I have a similar setup with another client.
    They use one O365 account to sync the data on the Synology with Onedrive, it works ok but is a hassle right now when individual files needs to be restored.