Branded vs Unbranded license

Some software developers & vendors sell unbranded licenses at higher prices than branded ones. We witness in the hosting industry that this practice is common among billing automation software companies e.g WHMCS, Blesta, ClientExec, WISECP etc

Does it make any difference whether you get branded or unbranded license when you are getting the same features & functionality?

Would love to read opinions on this from everyone including hosting providers

What do you prefer?
  1. What do you prefer?31 votes
    1. Branded licenses
        3.23%
    2. Unbranded licenses
      22.58%
    3. I am fine with either
      74.19%

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

Comments

• @vpsgeek3333 said:
    Some software developers & vendors sell unbranded licenses at higher prices than branded ones. We witness in the hosting industry that this practice is common among billing automation software companies e.g WHMCS, Blesta, ClientExec, WISECP etc

Does it make any difference whether you get branded or unbranded license when you are getting the same features & functionality?

If you are going to customize the heck out of that software, unbranded.

Else, it doesn't matter much.

• Agree with @seriesn - we use a branded version but if I was doing some major customisation then probably unbranded. I work on the theory that anyone who is familiar with the systems will figure out what it is anyway so no point trying to pretend it's not.

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek3333
  • ReadyDedisReadyDedis Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@vpsgeek3333 said:

WHMCS is well-known you take branded / unbranded really doesn't affect anything unless you're really trying to mask it entirely in terms of design aspects. I would suggest going with the branded version if you ask me. If it's owned license then maybe you could do unbranded.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I can spot whmcs even if heavily customised within seconds, so I don’t care, a well educated customer could do the same and one that does not know any better probably does not care so ... I don’t either :)

Thanked by (2)wdmg vpsgeek3333

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Branded or unbranded doesn’t matter. We use Branded

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

I have sometimes been asked what software I use and gladly answer (Let's give them the benefit of the doubt for not spotting the linkback) so I'm not fussed about paying an extra $30 or whatever to remove the branding.

• It depends on what kind of software it is and where it is used.
    If I am to resell something I very much prefer if its my branding on the product, not someone elses.
    If it's internal use and never faces customers, I couldn't care less.