Scaleway raises their prices by up to 66%

Just received the email below from Scaleway:

Dear customer,
Scaleway has worked hard from the beginning to provide you with the most reliable and production-ready solutions on the market by constantly investing in new technologies, state-of-the-art hardware and attracting the best talent. We’ve accelerated our activity in these key areas recently in our continuous effort to evolve from the leading ARM bare metal pioneer to one of the most complete public cloud platforms in the world.
Today, we offer almost 30 public cloud services, including several free products like our Kubernetes Kapsule orchestrator and our S3-compatible Object Storage. We have also expanded our support teams and developer tools, while maintaining our focus on improving our datacenters' energy efficiency.
Our recent customer survey has shown that more and more of you are using Scaleway to deploy your production infrastructure, with a native multi-cloud approach. This increased demand for our technologies requires premium performance, higher service levels and new tools to manage your infrastructure.
In order to continue to invest in these improvements and deliver the best customer experience possible, we will be increasing our Instances pricing from August 1st, 2020. This increase will be accompanied by greater performance stability and allows us to introduce differentiated pricing based on your usage. Despite this increase, our prices will remain on average 60 % lower than the main cloud offers on the market.
Our investment in innovation will soon be obvious and we can't wait to show you what's next. In the coming weeks, you'll be able to go even further with many highly anticipated and increasingly expert technologies that will join our ecosystem: Private Networks, MySQL managed databases, project management features and more! Our goal remains to deliver the best tools possible, at the best cost, with an increasingly complete, alternative, European and open cloud ecosystem.
Here are the details of the pricing evolutions as of August 1st, 2020:
Development Instances

DEV1-S: €0.01/hour or €4.99/month
DEV1-M: €0.02/hour or €9.99/month
DEV1-L: €0.04/hour or €19.99/month
DEV1-XL: €0.06/hour or €29.99/month

General Purpose Instances

GP1-XS: €0.084/hour or €41.99/month
GP1-S: €0.17/hour or €84.99/month
GP1-M: €0.34/hour or €169.99/month
GP1-L: €0.66/hour or €329.99/month
GP1-XL: €1.40/hour or €699.99/month

Thank you for your trust and loyalty,
Alexandre Morel
Chief Revenue Officer

Current prices:

Development Instances
DEV1-S: €0.006/hour or €2.99/month
DEV1-M: €0.016/hour or €7.99/month
DEV1-L: €0.032/hour or €15.99/month
DEV1-XL: €0.048/hour or €23.99/month

General Purpose Instances
GP1-XS: €0.078/hour or €39.99/month
GP1-S: €0.158/hour or €79/month
GP1-M: €0.318/hour or €159/month
GP1-L: €0.598/hour or €299/month
GP1-XL: €1.138/hour or €569/month

That's a whopping 66% price increase on the DEV1-S instance. Seems like they want to get rid of Low End customers.

Comments

• In my mind they are only good for cheap bandwidth.

Wouldn't pay 6€/month (with VAT) for the smallest VPS when I can get similar specs with a more reliable provider.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Who remembers when hostrail put their prices up by 66% back in circa 2012, the original Hostrail not the nut case that decided it would be good to reuse the name of a failed host 5 years ago (and also failed)?

They went bust by the end of the month, that sort of price hike is hail mary territory.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Janevski

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said: that sort of price hike is hail mary territory.

during a time when everyone is trying to save money due to this Covid thing.

Thanked by (2)dedotatedwam jixun
  • For me the only reason to use Scaleway is to compile stuff for ARMv7 architecture (BeagleBone Black) on their C1 instances.
    Now I use Docker balenalib images for this purpose, so I don’t use Scaleway anymore.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• williewillie OG
    edited July 2020

Wow, even the large GP instances went up. They aren't so clueful. No mention of the bare metal instances which were more interesting than the GP's anyway.

The C1 is discontinued, no longer offered and the existing ones will be shut off pretty soon. I still haven't gotten around to cancelling mine but I've barely ever used it.

• It's time to say bye-bye to Scaleway/Online.net and move own to some affordable provider.

• While scaleway might not be the most reliable provider and they have gotten way better than before, they are still the cheapest provider with a managed kubernetes offering. Digitalocean is not far behind but they lack any type of extended support offerings that many customers find essential.
    So despite this price increase I doubt they will be going under any time soon.

• Just dump them . Problem solved

• @T3D said: While scaleway might not be the most reliable provider and they have gotten way better than before, they are still the cheapest provider with a managed kubernetes offering.

Can you run it on the dev instances? OVH Public Cloud has it at lower starting prices than the Scaleway GP instances:

https://www.ovhcloud.com/en-ie/public-cloud/kubernetes/

• @willie said:

@T3D said: While scaleway might not be the most reliable provider and they have gotten way better than before, they are still the cheapest provider with a managed kubernetes offering.

Can you run it on the dev instances? OVH Public Cloud has it at lower starting prices than the Scaleway GP instances:

https://www.ovhcloud.com/en-ie/public-cloud/kubernetes/

Yes you can use dev instances, DEV1-M and up

• "In order to continue to invest in these improvements (...) we will be increasing our Instances pricing from August 1st, 2020. This increase will be accompanied by greater performance stability " is pretty much BS if you ask me. They upgraded their hypervisors like half a year ago, because everyone was asked (and eventually forced) to shut down and restart their instance, which would automatically move/migrate you to their new hardware. I cannot imagine that they write off hardware in 6 months so I'm not buying it.

@evnix said:

@AnthonySmith said: that sort of price hike is hail mary territory.

during a time when everyone is trying to save money due to this Covid thing.

Lol indeed. Also, their price/performance rating is pretty bad now if you ask me. I did some benches the other day (see the bench threads) and that was Okay for 3 euros a month, but definitely not for 5 euros a month.

• williewillie OG
    edited July 2020

I feel like I should figure out how to use k8s but by all indications it is bloody complicated. Didn't people use LXC for that stuff not so long ago? Was Docker basically LXC with a branding sticker? Is k8s better somehow?

Added: it looks like digitalocean has managed k8s starting at $10/m: https://www.digitalocean.com/products/kubernetes/

• edited July 2020

Hetzner.
    Hetzner all the way.

Scaleway expereince is extremely wonky.
    They even managed to lose my data, according to their notifications.

With Scaleway, a simple reboot or power off / power on is a hassle, and could make your server unavailable for hours.
    You also might get your serial console disabled for unknown reason and be locked out of your server.
    Or, your server might become locked out of internet...
    They have higher level problems, regular support cannot help you... Only God can.

After many years of using their services, i am very thankful they gave me the final reason to flip them the bird.

Thanked by (2)FreeBSD MrPsycho
  • @Janevski said:

Hetzner all the way.

I’m beginning to think Scaleway’s management team works for Hetzner.

Thanked by (1)Janevski

"I would prefer not to." --Bartleby

• edited October 2020

Another price increase from Scaleway.
    3EUR -> 5EUR -> 7.5EUR

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • edited October 2020

To be more precise, it's another +33.(3)% price increase.
    Doubletalk mail attached.

Monthly execution price cap to two thirds is what they cut out.
    Up until now, if you ran your instance for 20 days, you got the rest 10 of the month for "free", thus 2/3 of the price they projected in their own heads, but not the advertised price - you paid the full advertised price anyways, so yeah, you guessed it, all of this is bullshit.
    Notice the HTTP 404: https://www.scaleway.com/en/faq/faq-en-how-do-i-take-advantage-of-the-reduced-monthly-price/
    Now if we used different wording, we could've said that you used 20 days and paid full month price.
    Well anyhow, now you'll pay more, congratulations!

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • I think naively that they are not trying to go under.

Thanked by (1)Freek

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited October 2020

We're working hard to Scale-way our pricing to a level that puts you off buying from us.

Alternate line: We're working hard to Scale-away all of our customers with our price increase.

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • Hah, I saw something about decreasing hourly rates (sounds good) but didn't figure out that they are increasing monthly rates. I should have guessed. If they do spot pricing of hourly bare metal, that will be quite interesting. I tried a Hetzner 16 vcore shared-cpu instance and it was disappointingly slow. Their dedicated resource instances are presumably faster but cost an awful lot more.

• @willie said:
    Hah, I saw something about decreasing hourly rates (sounds good) but didn't figure out that they are increasing monthly rates. I should have guessed. If they do spot pricing of hourly bare metal, that will be quite interesting. I tried a Hetzner 16 vcore shared-cpu instance and it was disappointingly slow. Their dedicated resource instances are presumably faster but cost an awful lot more.

What about the Epyc series? Just as disappointing at the higher levels?

• The 16 core shared is Epyc only. The Epyc cores are fast, but the VM's are slow because of the number of simultaneous users hosing the cpu. I.e. noisy neighbors.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • " Scaleway, the cloud that makes sense "

Thanked by (3)Janevski Freek ehab
  • Expect 80% customer drop.

Sure, Hetzner and netcup going strong.

You have to wonder what customer retention is like when companies do this.

The thing is it is usually only 10% of the people that make the big noise, so if only 20% leave, they win.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited October 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

The thing is it is usually only 10% of the people that make the big noise, so if only 20% leave, they win.

I think it's normal for every corporation to try and boost their profits - which includes price hikes as well. Why invest corporate money and effort in building a brand if it doesn't bring more profits?

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@bikegremlin said:

@AnthonySmith said:

I think it's normal for every corporation to try and boost their profits - which includes price hikes as well. Why invest corporate money and effort in building a brand if it doesn't bring more profits?

I totally get that, I mean leaseweb do 3% increases every year without fail, bit a 66% jump in 2 years.. that is different.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer
    edited October 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

@bikegremlin said:

@AnthonySmith said:

I totally get that, I mean leaseweb do 3% increases every year without fail, bit a 66% jump in 2 years.. that is different.

It's about marketing, diplomacy when doing that - customer feelings and stuff - all important. :)

Technically:
    A 3% yearly increase over 10 years equals over 30% more on the 10th year, with aggregate price increase over the years being even higher, than if one just increased by say 40% on the 10th year, leaving the old prices until then.

We can check, compare and use alternatives if the price is not right.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• edited October 2020

Let me be a possible devil's advocate :)

@willie said:

Hah, I saw something about decreasing hourly rates (sounds good) but didn't figure out that they are increasing monthly rates. I should have guessed. If they do spot pricing of hourly bare metal, that will be quite interesting. I tried a Hetzner 16 vcore shared-cpu instance and it was disappointingly slow. Their dedicated resource instances are presumably faster but cost an awful lot more.

Any idea what Scaleway's policies are for sustained CPU usage? I'm not posting hyperscale clouds as they are obviously expensive, but other dedicated core offers aren't the cheapest either, example: https://www.linode.com/pricing/

I am not a Scaleway customer so I believe cannot write them an email (what is wrong with those French companies, OVH also wants me to call lol), and I couldn't find a clear explanation on their website - https://www.scaleway.com/en/pricing/ - but assuming your CPU usage is not throttled, it might still be not that bad (saying this based on what people posted on geekbench.com)

https://browser.geekbench.com/user/Erisa
    https://browser.geekbench.com/user/hex982
    https://browser.geekbench.com/user/YADeM
    https://browser.geekbench.com/user/vero-servers
    https://browser.geekbench.com/user/levifig
    https://browser.geekbench.com/user/weirdguy

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• Question: how much of that 400mbit on dev plan 3 is actually available for use when you spin one of them up?

I guess they could be good for bandwidth burst type applications where you can't use a CDN for whatever reason. (video during Peak hours? )

I agree Hetzner is probably going to eat their lunch with ANY of their cloud plans