All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@LeonDynamic said:

@Ympker said:
    I also found smth like https://wordpress.org/plugins/attachment-pages-redirect/#description but, obviously, if the plugin stops being updated... I could also setup redirects in htaccess or similar but oh boy..

You can do this automatically within WordPress using the functions file without the need for a plugin. I suspect this is what the plugin is doing anyway.

I think the Yoast SEO plugin, if you use it, has an option for this as well.

There was a tutorial for Yoast to do this but they moved it to the pro version, I believe.

I found this code, although when updating the theme while not using a child theme it could become a problem.

function myprefix_redirect_attachment_page() {
        if ( is_attachment() ) {
            global $post;
            if ( $post && $post->post_parent ) {
                wp_redirect( esc_url( get_permalink( $post->post_parent ) ), 301 );
                exit;
            } else {
                wp_redirect( esc_url( home_url( '/' ) ), 301 );
                exit;
            }
        }
    }
    add_action( 'template_redirect', 'myprefix_redirect_attachment_page' );

• Love this minimalist theme https://wordpress.org/themes/blocksy/

Thanked by (2)Ympker localhost
  • @Ympker said:
    I found this code, although when updating the theme while not using a child theme it could become a problem.

I have never setup WP without using a child theme. I like to tinker too much and heavily use custom functions instead of plugins and editing parent themes.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@LeonDynamic said:

@Ympker said:

I have never setup WP without using a child theme. I like to tinker too much and heavily use custom functions instead of plugins and editing parent themes.

Child theme with eg Divi can become problematic if I dont maintain the client's site after finishing it and the code gets outdated, then updates and breaks stuff.

Thanked by (1)LeonDynamic
  • @Ympker I have never worked with Divi. Is it similar to other page builders like Elementor, etc? Do you primarily work with page builders?

I’ve always though about using them but tend to find a theme that fits most requirements and then modify accordingly.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@LeonDynamic said:
    @Ympker I have never worked with Divi. Is it similar to other page builders like Elementor, etc? Do you primarily work with page builders?

I’ve always though about using them but tend to find a theme that fits most requirements and then modify accordingly.

I am using Divi theme (divi builder is built-in) mostly, yes. The reason being that most freemium themes lock Features/settings behind a paywall so with Divi I don't have that issue. The builder is useful too.

• @Ympker said:
    I am using Divi theme (divi builder is built-in) mostly, yes. The reason being that most freemium themes lock Features/settings behind a paywall so with Divi I don't have that issue. The builder is useful too.

I will have to give it a try. Sounds like it could be useful.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@LeonDynamic said:

@Ympker said:

I will have to give it a try. Sounds like it could be useful.

The builder comes with lots of cool Features and possibilities as well as with a regularily updated premade layout libray (100+ layouts from most niches like café, restaurant, business, lawyer, fitness studio, travel, lifestyle, hosting..).

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Based on what I could hear, Divi used to be more problematic (relying on shortcodes) - not sure how sorted out they are now.
    Elementor is OK if you need a "really cool looking" page with minimal (no) coding effort. Not an optimization/speed champ, but can save the time. Or at least the hassle until people figure out what exactly they want.

Heard very good things about Brizy page builder - haven't tested it.

Thanked by (2)LeonDynamic Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

edited October 2020

@bikegremlin said:
    Based on what I could hear, Divi used to be more problematic (relying on shortcodes) - not sure how sorted out they are now.
    Elementor is OK if you need a "really cool looking" page with minimal (no) coding effort. Not an optimization/speed champ, but can save the time. Or at least the hassle until people figure out what exactly they want.

Heard very good things about Brizy page builder - haven't tested it.

To be fair Divi has come a long way and it's very powerful right now. Can be a bit on "slow" when combined with too many other plugins though imho. Still, it's great for what it is and is one of the most powerful and popular page builders that still continue to offer a lifetime unlimited sites license that includes not only updates but also support.

About shortcodes: I never was aware of using them with Divi but I have indeed seen that when someone's Divi broke it would display divi shortcodes on site elements that couldn't load instead like [et...blabla..]. So I assume Divi would place them automatically while for the user it just looks like regular drag&drop front-end editing.

Heard good things about Brizy as well, looks a bit more "classic"/"boring" though compared to the funky feature bundle Elementor and Divi throw at you. Not to say it's bad though.

• flipsflips OG
    edited October 2020

@Ympker said:

@hey said:
    Love this minimalist theme https://wordpress.org/themes/blocksy/

It's great :)

And free (as in beer), it seems? :)

@flips said:

@Ympker said:

@hey said:
    Love this minimalist theme https://wordpress.org/themes/blocksy/

It's great :)

And free (as in beer), it seems? :)

Iirc, yes :)

• Brizy is good, making steady progress.

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • Intelpentium0Intelpentium0 Hosting Provider

Today I tried to add an email forwarder in HM reseller hosted website.
    Something like admin@mywebsit to myemail@gmail
    It seems HM is not allowing to forward to Gmail/Yahoo etc.

Anyone else tried?

✓✓Only shared hosting-both DA and cPanel Still in 2006

@Intelpentium0 said:

Anyone else tried?

I prefer integration with Gmail - storing emails with Gmail, not on the hosting server.
    Makes migrations easier, and it's more convenient, at least for me.
    Step-by-step instructions if needed:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/10364/website-gmail/

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

Anyone else tried?

I prefer integration with Gmail - storing emails with Gmail, not on the hosting server.

Thanks for the tutorial :) in terms of dsgvo/gdpr probably a nightmare, but other than that quite good.

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

Anyone else tried?

Thanks for the tutorial :) in terms of dsgvo/gdpr probably a nightmare, but other than that quite good.

Don't see how your choice of an email client would affect GDPR.
    "Officially" it's all good - if you wish to dig deep, then even using a Windows 10 would be a GDPR liability, wouldn't it?
    Am I missing something?

• Anybody tried their hand at headless WP hosting? Read about (another) New Kid On the Block.

https://www.treaclewp.com/

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

Anyone else tried?

I am using it since years. But for a client WP site, usually i create [email protected] or something like that. (Because I install it using Softaculous and maintain it for them for a small yearly fee)

Then I fwd it to my personal gmail. No much mails to check. But its useful anyhow.
    But HM suddenly stopped it. Will try to open a ticket with them..

@Intelpentium0 said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

Anyone else tried?

I am using it since years. But for a client WP site, usually i create [email protected] or something like that. (Because I install it using Softaculous and maintain it for them for a small yearly fee)

Then I fwd it to my personal gmail. No much mails to check. But its useful anyhow.
    But HM suddenly stopped it. Will try to open a ticket with them..

You can configure one gmail account to fetch emails from several different accounts. That's what I do and it has been working fine for years. I just avoid the forwarding (re-sending the same email, for the same person). That way Google doesn't have to filter that email for spam and I don't risk the email not coming into my Gmail inbox.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

• edited October 2020

any thoughts / comments on https://10web.io/ai-website-builder/ ?

They currently have a 30% lifetime off promo. Not sure whether this is just hype or really works...

thanks

• @localhost said:

They currently have a 30% lifetime off promo. Not sure whether this is just hype or really works...

thanks

Quite a hype.Rebrabded Elementor (which they also mention on their site).

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin localhost

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

Anyone else tried?

"Officially" it's all good - if you wish to dig deep, then even using a Windows 10 would be a GDPR liability, wouldn't it?
    Am I missing something?

Not the email client but storing the emails with google (overseas) can, technically, be a gdpr problem. Not saying Microsoft or anyone else is better. Not saying that you should stop using gmail either. Just that the whole gdpr stunt has been taken to the extreme sometimes. Especially in countries like Germany where legal counsel in 99% of the cases related to data processing questions will lead to "now that's overseas. Now that's the US. Now that's... You can't really do that without breaking term xy".

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Intelpentium0 said:

Anyone else tried?

Am I missing something?

Not the email client but storing the emails with google (overseas) can, technically, be a gdpr problem. Not saying Microsoft or anyone else is better. Not saying that you should stop using gmail either. Just that the whole gdpr stunt has been taken to the extreme sometimes. Especially in countries like Germany where legal counsel in 99% of the cases related to data processing questions will lead to "now that's overseas. Now that's the US. Now that's... You can't really do that without breaking term xy".

OK, I see now - just that forwarding them to Gmail seems practically the same to me. If forwarding isn't an issue, then I don't see how pulling them directly using Gmail could be different - that relation has me confused.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Got a reply from HM support.
    They just stopped it due to spam mails getting forwarded to Gmail and gmail thinks HM server is spamming. Actually they are getting blamed for the mails which are not 'really' sent by them.
    So HM asked to pull mails to Gmail account as @bikegremlin suggested above.

@Intelpentium0 said:
    Got a reply from HM support.
    They just stopped it due to spam mails getting forwarded to Gmail and gmail thinks HM server is spamming. Actually they are getting blamed for the mails which are not 'really' sent by them.
    So HM asked to pull mails to Gmail account as @bikegremlin suggested above.

That's a more sensible and definitely safer choice.
    For all I know: Google doesn't like emails being forwarded to them - even when there's not much spam involved.
    That is the main problem.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

• @vyas said:

@localhost said:

thanks

If I want to create a simple website for myself, just list some likes hobbies and all, what would be your recommendation on a theme or platform to use?

• vyasvyas OG
    edited October 2020

@localhost said:

@vyas said:

@localhost said:

thanks

If I want to create a simple website for myself, just list some likes hobbies and all, what would be your recommendation on a theme or platform to use?

I think there are a few ways you can tackle this one...
    Till the time you build up some content/traffic/following, here's what I would suggest:

Start with shared hosting @SmallWeb @webhorizon or even the 'free' plans by the providers here

--> Recommended: feel free to bug @seriesn on this matter if you already aren't a 'family' member.

I would even propose starting with a lightweight Content Management System like Htmly or Bludit where your focus will be creation not website configuration/management. You can even start at the 1/4 GB (250 MB) plan this way. Once you have about 8 or 10 posts, then look at WP. Minimum 1 GB plan for storage in shared hosting,
    For VPS: 512 MB Ram minimum with 10 GB disk space. KVM or OVZ or LXC, does not matter.
    I prefer Webinoly, you can look at wordops or litespeed based script. Or, Runcloud but then RAM should be 1 GB min. Sign up with a CDN.

Below is a test site I created this morning for testing Blocksy theme (with Brizy :-1: ) runs on the $7 OVZ by VPSDime (thanks @serverian) + U20.04 (I know..) + WP on webinoly + cache+blocksy/Brizy + CDN.

You can try a templae with blocksy+Gutenburg for better speeds.

https://da.afeeds.tk

Not optimized or CDN is not fully activated, so there will be slow slow speeds initially.
    Google page speed insights shows 53 on Mobile, 84 on desktop.

Edit: Blocksy + Gutenburg gives 25 percent better results.

@bikegremlin and @ympker might have more suggestions on the matter.

Thanked by (2)localhost Abdullah

@localhost said:

@vyas said:

@localhost said:

thanks

I chose WordPress and didn't regret it.
    With a decent quality theme, and not too many (needless?) plugins, it can run fast (enough) and be stable and secure.

Stuff like Getsby and other "faster alternatives" ruin the sole purpose of using WordPress: the ease and simplicity of adding new, and editing old content.

Over the past 5 years I've had people complain about various stuff on my websites, but speed was never one of them. Not because my websites are "super optimized", but because people don't really care (unless you're trying to sell them stuff they don't really need - for that every little trick helps), as long as a page loads in under 5 seconds.

Thanked by (2)Ympker localhost