RIPE NCC Has Officially Run Out of IPv4 Addresses

MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
edited November 2019 in General

Today, at 15:35, we made our final /22 IPv4 allocation from the last remaining addresses in our available pool. We have now run out of IPv4 addresses.

Full Post: https://www.ripe.net/publications/news/about-ripe-ncc-and-ripe/the-ripe-ncc-has-run-out-of-ipv4-addresses

Time to be

Personally had a handful of IPv6 requests for my stuff in the last two days and have been implementing it to DNS.

Edit: (Relevant)

Even though we have run out, we will continue to recover IPv4 addresses in the future. These will come from organisations that have gone out of business or are closed, or from networks that return addresses they no longer need. These addresses will be allocated to our members (LIRs) according to their position on a new waiting list that is now active.

Comments

• ITLabsITLabs OG
    edited November 2019

Everyone seems to be happy there, smiling faces!

Thanked by (2)MichaelCee Janevski

BF/CM - Buyer Beware. Conduct your own due diligence on the sustainability of the deals presented here as well as the provider's track record.

• @ITLabs said:

Well, their work is done I guess... ?

Thanked by (3)ITLabs Janevski Abdullah
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider
    edited November 2019

@Solaire said:

@ITLabs said:

Re-assigned to support questions like "Is there more?", "When are more coming?", "Can I sneak you a cheeky 20 to bump me up the waiting list?"

Thanked by (2)Solaire ITLabs
  • @SmallWeb said:

@Solaire said:

@ITLabs said:

Re-assigned to support questions like "Is there more?", "When are more coming?", "Can I sneak you a cheeky 20 to bump me up the waiting list?"

Yeah those smiles will fade away sooner or later. They won't be hitting their allocation target next year either!

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • FranciscoFrancisco Hosting ProviderOG

So how does this change the market? Or has there not been many LE hosts getting blocks for selling?

Francisco

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I expect the more aggressive recovery and recovery through validation work they hinted at a while back will start now, some IP collectors for profiteering will be having a stinky pants day soon I imagine haha.

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek poisson

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Meanwhile I don’t even have dual stack IPv6 at my home connection. ISP says it’s ‘unnecessary’.

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek Janevski
  • mfsmfs OG
    edited November 2019

SmallWeb said: These will come from organisations that have gone out of business or are closed, or from networks that return addresses they no longer need.

They keep repeating it but I'd overly surprised if that happens (also given the spike of new LIRs in the RIPE region recently)
    they'll be sold as valuable assets before ever returning to RIPE or whatever
    reclamation of unused IPv4 space is... complicated
    AFRINIC is next

Thanked by (1)vpsgeek
  • ipv6 ...

Thanked by (2)vpsgeek Janevski
  • @mfs said:

SmallWeb said: These will come from organisations that have gone out of business or are closed, or from networks that return addresses they no longer need.

They keep repeating it but I'd overly surprised if that happens (also given the spike of new LIRs in the RIPE region recently)
    they'll be sold as valuable assets before ever returning to RIPE or whatever
    reclamation of unused IPv4 space is... complicated

Well what RIPE says is how it should be. And there will be companies that return their priceless (as in it didn’t cost them a thing) IP-adresses to RIPE. But that’ll be a very small minority.

IPv4 is just for companies who can afford it. Has been that way for a while now.

• prices will increase, that is certain, the IPv4 business is about to become more profitable

Thanked by (1)Francisco
  • @cociu said:
    ipv6 ...

We'll be old and dead when ipv6 happens.

Thanked by (1)Francisco
  • I give 50 years for IPv6 to take completely over v4.

Thanked by (2)poisson Francisco

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• I still don't know how to use IPv6 and tunnels.

Deals and Reviews: LowEndBoxes Review | Avoid dodgy providers with The LEBRE Whitelist | Free hosting (with conditions): Evolution-Host, NanoKVM, FreeMach, ServedEZ | Get expert copyediting and copywriting help at The Write Flow

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

It's time for 64bit IP!

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• WSSWSS OGRetired

I misgendered that JPEG just to hear it REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

My pronouns are like/subscribe.

• @cociu said:
    ipv6 ...

pls no much torrent peers on ipv6

• @debaser said:
    Meanwhile I don’t even have dual stack IPv6 at my home connection. ISP says it’s ‘unnecessary’.

Do you guys ( or maybe some gals) know about Jio from Reliance Group ( not the one facing bankruptcy). Jio is the only provider in india that operates a national LTE network with coverage All over India and have

debaser said: have dual stack IPv6

• AFRINIC will be RIPE, soon.

• i heard there is a new protocol, v6

Thanked by (2)vyas MichaelCee
  • @tgl said:
    i heard there is a new protocol, v6

Yeah. And one of the innovators of the IT industry, ColoCrossing, will implement it soon!

Thanked by (2)ITLabs Francisco

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @Amitz said:

@tgl said:
    i heard there is a new protocol, v6

Yeah. And one of the innovators of the IT industry, ColoCrossing, will implement it soon!

ahahahah, I totally forgot about that man! the great implementation has been due for many years now

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • Thanked by (1)poisson

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• I think thats Fabozzi typing

Thanked by (2)Amitz Francisco