Demand Question - US-based Ryzen Dedis @ $50/month?

lentrolentro Hosting Provider

Would you be interested in the following?

They'd be vDedis, so you'd get access to a VPS control panel to start/stop/reinstall but 100% of the resources would be yours.

• Ryzen 5 3600
  • 500 GB RAID-1 protected SSD
  • 30 GB DDR4 RAM
  • Unlimited 100 mbps OR 20 TB @ 500 mbps on Hurricane Electric
  • California
  • Limited support aka me at night
  • $50/month

I keep on hearing people wanting Hetzner-like pricing but in the US (me included!). The colo is there, and the numbers work out with the configuration above, so it's just a matter of will people actually buy, and someone actually doing it.

This would be like one of @Not_Oles 's projects where it's community-member-run and not really a company, per se.

So, if there was a server with the specs above, would you rent it?

Comments

• Some cheap Ryzen's in the US (Ogden, UT) - https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1828046

Just sharing what was shared at the other place.

Thanked by (1)lentro

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• for a moment i was excited until i read vDedis

Thanked by (2)lentro cybertech
  • lentrolentro Hosting Provider

@thedp said:
    Some cheap Ryzen's in the US (Ogden, UT) - https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1828046

Just sharing what was shared at the other place.

Ah, nice! Guess there is already an option! :)

• Interested but why vdedi instead of bare metal? Is HDD available? Is DC access possible for people in the area? This is in Fremont? They have super low rack fees but rather severe power limitations if I remember right: are you sure you have enough amps to run all your boxes simultaneously?

Thanked by (1)lentro

@willie said: Interested but why vdedi instead of bare metal?

Just easier on a management basis to do virtualization rather than KVM consoles (don't have experience in there), but maybe I could learn. Found some stuff on Amazon that isn't too expensive.

@willie said: Is HDD available?

Ofc. This is just an post to see if people would be interested in Ryzen dedicated machines at such a cost.

@willie said: They have super low rack fees but rather severe power limitations if I remember right: are you sure you have enough amps to run all your boxes simultaneously?

So HE is at 15 amps @ 120 watts for a full rack. Given the Ryzen 5 3600 has a TDP of 65 watts, I think each server would consume <100 watts, so I def think it's doable with ~18 servers/rack.

It's not life-changing by any means (<$10k cost to start), so it'll just be a project I might do when get some more time, haha :)

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited November 2020

So it is a single-tenant vdedi basically?

Thanked by (1)lentro

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• Sounds interesting, I take it the whole machine would be dedicated to the customer just running the one VM? As long as you can pass all the flags like vt-x it would be awesome.

Thanked by (1)lentro

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

@AnthonySmith said:
    So it is a single-tenant vdedi basically?

Yep! So I get to save on motherboards (no need for IPMI) and customers get the flexibility of VPSes with the power of full dedis.

Ok, thanks for all the info everyone! I was curious on if this product could work, and I now know, so something for me to play around with in the future :)

• @lentro said:
    Just easier on a management basis to do virtualization rather than KVM consoles (don't have experience in there), but maybe I could learn. Found some stuff on Amazon that isn't too expensive.

I think IPMI access is not very frequent, like in Hetzner, you can request for free for 3 hours, and that's fine as long as I can use all the server resources for my application.

Thanked by (1)lentro

@lightblade the thing is, I won't physically be at HE's DC, so whereas Hetzner can have technicians plugging in consoles, I can't, haha :)

I know there are some switches so I might play with that, but the simplicity of managing VPSes is why I leaned towards vDedis :)

Thanked by (1)lightblade
  • @lentro said: So HE is at 15 amps @ 120 watts for a full rack. Given the Ryzen 5 3600 has a TDP of 65 watts, I think each server would consume <100 watts, so I def think it's doable with ~18 servers/rack.

Only about 12 amps is really usable on a sustained basis, and 100 watts for the whole server sounds optimistic. Can anyone with more colo experience comment?