IONOS to offer 1TB Cloud Storage in Germany for 1€/month first year, then 5€/month.

YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
edited November 2020 in General

Not too bad if you want to stay off Google and/or store within Europe (Germany).

Supports: WebDav

Pro plans support SMB, Git, (S)FTP, WebDav, rsync, SCP and apps for mobile Devices. Also subaccounts.

https://www.ionos.de/office-loesungen/hidrive-cloud-speicher

I'll stick to Koofr and GDrive for now.

Thanked by (3)chimichurri ehab Amitz

Comments

• edited November 2020

Thanks for sharing, really nice offer! (the first year at least.. I think I'll backup my storage VPS here!).

BTW, if I understood correctly, the 1TB offer is WebDAV only, and the addtl. protocols are limited to the most expensive HiDrive Pro plan.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• vyasvyas OG
    edited November 2020

This is not a BF offer, but in terms of features,
    Sync.com does really well. Also price to storage ratio. Disregard the encryption/ "safety" blurb. We are well aware to take it with a grain of salt.

https://www.sync.com/pricing-individual/

If there is a BF/CM discount somewhere, this is a sweet one to lap up

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@chimichurri said:
    Thanks for sharing, really nice offer! (the first year at least.. I think I'll backup my storage VPS here!).

BTW, if I understood correctly, the 1TB offer is WebDAV only, and the addtl. protocols are limited to the most expensive HiDrive Pro plan.

Seems to indeed be the case. Still, WebDav is probably all I need for some personal dump and WordPress backups. Opting for Pro with SFTP support also sounds nice and in GDPR certified environment and jurisdiction.

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited November 2020

The Strato 1TB (including all protocols) Hidrive offer might be even better then:
    https://www.strato.de/cloud-speicher/cobi/

It's the same, in the end, since Strato belongs to Ionos and it is the exact same platform, just with different branding and plans. I use a Strato Hidrive since 3 years without noticable issues. It was quite a reliable companion, to be honest.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @Amitz said:
    The Strato 1TB (including all protocols) Hidrive offer might be even better then:

It's the same, in the end, since Strato belongs to Ionos and it is the exact same platform, just woth different branding and plans. I use a Strato Hidrive since 3 years without noticable issues. It was quite a reliable companion, to be honest.

Free 1 TB for 1 year with 1 Euro setup fees. Then 6 Euros a year with 12 month commitment... if I understood the terms correctly.
    so 73 Euros/2 years for 1 TB?

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited November 2020

Yes, this should be the deal. EUR 73,- for two years of a 1 TB HiDrive.

But keep in mind: This special offer has one restriction, which is that only ONE user comes with it for free. With their normal plans, you can create a certain amount of users that all get their own private part of the Hidrive and can exchange data with each other. This will not be an issue for a single private user. You can still share data (files and/or directories) with others. Just the team feature is missing (or better: costs extra).

Ah - and you have to generate an encryption key with their Windows App to use End-to-End-Encryption. It does not work with their macOS or Linux apps. I don't care because my stuff is encrypted with Cryptomator before it even touches their servers, but still noteworthy.

Thanked by (1)vyas

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).

@Amitz said:

It's the same, in the end, since Strato belongs to Ionos and it is the exact same platform, just with different branding and plans. I use a Strato Hidrive since 3 years without noticable issues. It was quite a reliable companion, to be honest.

Sounds good. Thanks for bringing it up! :)

Thanked by (1)Amitz

@Amitz said:
    Yes, this should be the deal. EUR 73,- for two years of a 1 TB HiDrive.

But keep in mind: This special offer has one restriction, which is that only ONE user comes with it for free. With their normal plans, you can create a certain amount of users that all get their own private part of the Hidrive and can exchange data with each other. This will not be an issue for a single private user. You can still share data (files and/or directories) with others. Just the team feature is missing (or better: costs extra).

Ah - and you have to generate an encryption key with their Windows App to use End-to-End-Encryption. It does not work with their macOS or Linux apps. I don't care because my stuff is encrypted with Cryptomator before it even touches their servers, but still noteworthy.

This question might sound stupid, but since I don't know too much about encryption (I used VeraCrypt and 7Zip/Winrar Encrypt so far) I always wonder what if a tool like Cryptomator, Boxcryptor etc goes down/vanishes @Amitz ? Can you still restore with another tool or how does this work?

• AmitzAmitz OG
    edited November 2020

I had that same question, so don't worry. If that is a stupid question, then we are both standing together in the idiot's corner and have fun anyway. I answered the question to myself like this:

Cryptomator at least is open source: https://github.com/cryptomator
    So the encryption method and the system behind it are known and could get reproduced if the project itself goes down.
    But in reality, if they should vanish, then I would simply decrypt the data with the last available version of the program (that I have on my computer anyway) and encrypt it again with whatever solution is available at that moment in future. So I really do not worry too much.

Another great thing about apps like Cryptomator is that they encrypt file by file and do not create a monolithic container. This makes syncing the data much easier. You only sync the file in question, not the whole f*cking container (like you had to do with tools like True/Vera-Crypt).

By the way: I used both Boxcryptor and Cryptomator for years in parallel and would recommend the latter to anybody starting with file encryption. It is much easier to handle, free (I donated anyway) and available on most relevant platforms. Boxcryptor is not bad at all, but does not offer any feature advantage that would be relevant to me and costs money for the full feature set.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@Amitz said:
    I had that same question, so don't worry. If that is a stupid question, then we are both standing together in the idiot's corner and have fun anyway. I answered the question to myself like this:

Cryptomator at least is open source: https://github.com/cryptomator
    So the encryption method and the system behind it are known and could get reproduced if the project itself goes down.
    But in reality, if they should vanish, then I would simply decrypt the data with the last available version of the program (that I have on my computer anyway) and encrypt it again with whatever solution is available at that moment in future. So I really do not worry too much.

Another great thing about apps like Cryptomator is that they encrypt file by file and do not create a monolithic container. This makes syncing the data much easier. You only sync the file in question, not the whole f*cking container (like you had to do with tools like True/Vera-Crypt).

By the way: I used both Boxcryptor and Cryptomator for years in parallel and would recommend the latter to anybody starting with file encryption. It is much easier to handle, free (I donated anyway) and available on most relevant platforms. Boxcryptor is not bad at all, but does not offer any feature advantage that would be relevant to me and costs money for the full feature set.

Thanks for the thorough reply mate! Will give it a try :)

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited November 2020

With Apps40 discount -
    1 TB Koofr "lifetime" for US Dollars 102

Thanks to post here by @mee2
    https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/45939/#Comment_45939

Thanked by (3)Ympker sportingdan ofit
  • flipsflips OG
    edited November 2020

@vyas said:
    With Apps40 discount - 1 TB Koofr "lifetime" for US Dollars 102

Great minds think alike ... ;) Just bought this and commented on the deals thread.
    I don't think this will add 1 TB to my existing 250 GB lifetime, so I'll register a new account.

Thanked by (2)Ympker vyas