Just curious, who here no longer visits LET?

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@bikegremlin said: Why avoid CF for the sake of avoiding CF?

Well although @Neoon is more vocal than most about it, a number of people have reached out and shown that they too get hit due to CF on occasion, I am sure I can work something out to make it a better experience for all.

Thanked by (1)souen

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said:

Well although @Neoon is more vocal than most about it, a number of people have reached out and shown that they too get hit due to CF on occasion, I am sure I can work something out to make it a better experience for all.

It does fucking suck indeed and if there is no real need, does not make sense to put CF in front.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@AnthonySmith said:

People can't visit the forum because of CF?

I've been using it for some time, had one downtime because of CF (when most of their networ/routing was fucked). But every system has problems from time to time - it is to be expected.
    It seems to me that, even (or especially) with the free option, CF gives a lot, and doesn't have any measurable downsides, not really.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• vyasvyas OG
    edited November 2020

This forum home page does not load when I use CF Warp app or change dns to 1.1.1.1/1.0.01 in ios . Go figure.

I like CF, am a paying customer, but sometimes it is crap

• @AnthonySmith said:

....work something out to make it a better experience for all.

On a lighter note,
    that is something Biloh would write on OGF. I know , I know.....

Cheers

@vyas said:

@AnthonySmith said:

On a lighter note,

Cheers

Not sure I understand... but then again, I am very hungry..

• @bikegremlin said:

@AnthonySmith said:

I've been using it for some time, had one downtime because of CF (when most of their networ/routing was fucked). But every system has problems from time to time - it is to be expected.
    It seems to me that, even (or especially) with the free option, CF gives a lot, and doesn't have any measurable downsides, not really.

No, but you I do regular notice that CF performance sucks and I can replicate that, by browsing websites behind CF and some I know they are not. Besides the Performance issues, there are also privacy issues regarding CF.

Most of the stuff has been already linked.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited November 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

@vyas said:

@AnthonySmith said:

On a lighter note,

Cheers

I was kidding
    Over the last few months Biloh has written something like this many times. (better experience...and similar words)

Thats a conversation for a different day. Happy eating.

(Horse Buggy drive through at McD?)

• edited November 2020

Not sure about the performance part, but I guess one good thing about CF is that if you're an admin is that it protects your website against (D)DoS attacks, and allegedly it hides its actual IP as well.

On the other hand, as a user, I personally rather hate CF because of the captcha! (getting it every now and then on some sites using CF, perhaps because my dynamic IP range was [is being?] used by spammers, accoring to one friend running a wordpress.com blog where my comments were being constantly marked as spam by Akismet)

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

@Neoon said:

@bikegremlin said:

@AnthonySmith said:

No, but you I do regular notice that CF performance sucks and I can replicate that, by browsing websites behind CF and some I know they are not. Besides the Performance issues, there are also privacy issues regarding CF.

Performance issues?
    On average, I would say it helps more than it harms. At least from what I could measure, for my websites.
    Privacy?
    Yes - there are people who avoid using Gmail (and CF) for privacy concerns.
    I understand that.

If CF guys figure out my LES password, it would really be dangerous. They could start liking Deank's posts using my account - and then a black hole would open!

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• I've never been stabbed by CF so far.

I don't care about my privacy on the internet.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• i never used CF but i always heard good about it....saves BW, global CDN, ddos protection etc....

first time i am reading something against CF....

@vyas said:

@AnthonySmith said:

@vyas said:

@AnthonySmith said:

On a lighter note,

Cheers

I was kidding
    Over the last few months Biloh has written something like this many times. (better experience...and similar words)

Thats a conversation for a different day. Happy eating.

(Horse Buggy drive through at McD?)

Ah ok, I would not know :) I suppose it’s a common goal, difference being I actually mean it :)

• @bikegremlin said:

@Neoon said:

@bikegremlin said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Performance issues?
    On average, I would say it helps more than it harms. At least from what I could measure, for my websites.
    Privacy?
    Yes - there are people who avoid using Gmail (and CF) for privacy concerns.
    I understand that.

If CF guys figure out my LES password, it would really be dangerous. They could start liking Deank's posts using my account - and then a black hole would open!

Well okay, I get the point, that you give a fuck about your privacy, so bee it.

• @MaxKVM said:
    @Neoon is fastly also "piss" ?

No idea about fastly, in general everything that centralizes the decentralized internet, breaks End to End encryption is bad.

edited November 2020

@Neoon said:

@MaxKVM said:
    @Neoon is fastly also "piss" ?

No idea about fastly, in general everything that centralizes the decentralized internet, breaks End to End encryption is bad.

Everything is bad. :)
    _I would also add that every generalization is bad - but that itself would be a generalization, so a bit of a logical recursive division by zero. :) _

It just boils down to weighing the pros and cons. For a forum, I doubt CF has more cons than pros.

Potential problem that CF will probably help overcome:
    https://letsencrypt.org/2020/11/06/own-two-feet.html

So no need to send a new Android to each visitor. :)
    Waiting to see if they will come up with a solution, and how.

Thanked by (1)vimalware

I will try this place with no CF, if no CF slows things down for more people than CF and attacks start to have any impact I change the IP block and go back to CF :) simplez

@Neoon said:

Well okay, I get the point, that you give a fuck about your privacy, so bee it.

Not on the thread topic, but it does concern privacy:
    Could you share a(n idiot-friendly) way to PGP encrypt forum posts, so that only those who know my public key can read them?
    Preferably using a Linux running software to encrypt (and decrypt).

• @bikegremlin said:

PGP encrypt forum posts, so that only those who know my public key can read them?

Doesn't that rather fly in the face (and definition) of a forum?

It's not quite how it works, you would encrypt using the [multiple] public keys of the recipients to keep an entire message secret. You would normally only use your private key for encryption when signing (encrypting just a checksum) leaving the original text readable, recipients then use your public key to verify that checksum not to decrypt the entire message.

You could distribute a special private key to your audience, and encrypt using the corresponding public key of that, but it would be an unusual practice for them to adjust to.

Well, this got a little off topic eh.?.

• alentoalento Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@AnthonySmith said: Well, this got a little off topic eh.?.

Indeed ... so I visited that other place today just to check out the early BF deals and ... blocked!

LOL

Recommended providers: BuyVM - MXroute - LunaNode - Forpsi - IntoVPS
    Contact me for all of your Mail-in-a-Box email hosting needs at AnyDomain. I am also a proud reseller of MXroute email.

@alento said:

@AnthonySmith said: Well, this got a little off topic eh.?.

Indeed ... so I visited that other place today just to check out the early BF deals and ... blocked!

LOL

You got blocked/banned?

• alentoalento Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@AnthonySmith said: You got blocked/banned?

Personally, no ... but Cloudflare wouldn't let me connect - so I had to use a VPN. Kinda backwards, no?

Recommended providers: BuyVM - MXroute - LunaNode - Forpsi - IntoVPS
    Contact me for all of your Mail-in-a-Box email hosting needs at AnyDomain. I am also a proud reseller of MXroute email.

@alento said:

@AnthonySmith said: You got blocked/banned?

Personally, no ... but Cloudflare wouldn't let me connect - so I had to use a VPN. Kinda backwards, no?

oh lol, guess he is getting attacked.

• I must admit I visited LET yesterday for the Hosthatch BF deals, but apart from that I never visited it anymore in the past 2-3 years.
    The vibe is just different there. I feel there's a lack of mutual respect, especially between users and providers. For example, yesterday I did not submit my order because the pricing was different from what was shown within the offer and by the time it was corrected, it was sold out. Immediately I get responses like 'just order and don't pay the invoice' etc. That's not how life works imho and especially with German providers, you are going to have a bad time. I feel the focus over there is to squeeze out the last penny at all cost. Bigger resource numbers = better, even if the node is massively oversold. No thanks, I rather enjoy a smaller, friendly and warm community over here.

@Freek said:
    I rather enjoy a smaller, friendly and warm community over here.

Gay!

@Freek said:
    I must admit I visited LET yesterday for the Hosthatch BF deals, but apart from that I never visited it anymore in the past 2-3 years.
    The vibe is just different there. I feel there's a lack of mutual respect, especially between users and providers. For example, yesterday I did not submit my order because the pricing was different from what was shown within the offer and by the time it was corrected, it was sold out. Immediately I get responses like 'just order and don't pay the invoice' etc. That's not how life works imho and especially with German providers, you are going to have a bad time. I feel the focus over there is to squeeze out the last penny at all cost. Bigger resource numbers = better, even if the node is massively oversold. No thanks, I rather enjoy a smaller, friendly and warm community over here.

Yep, LET is the English extension of hostloc now.

Thanked by (2)Freek vimalware

• @Freek said: the Hosthatch BF deals

Saw those too. Didn't really need it, but was tempted. Small NVMe node on a good network (in NL at least) for absolutely no money at all.

But then I made my mind up and decided not to do it? I wouldn't reward a provider that has an account here, but instead chooses to only sells his promotions in that cesspit.

The problem with LET is that it is no community at all. It's just a device for providers to sell goods and for users to whine about providers. The people who made up the community ar mostly rather here and/or at Hostballs then at LET.

• Hmm, I see that there are "2.8K new" in dustinc's BF thread on LET. I think that I'll pass ...

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)