Mail.baby by interserver

AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
edited October 2020 in General

Just found this
https://mail.baby by interserver

The best part is Pay as you Go, $0.2 per 1000 emails send, no per-server charge & outbound mail filtering.

Comments

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

I have been waiting for the alternative to mailchannels Jarland mentioned about since sometime...any updates @jarland ?

Thanked by (1)icry
  • Looks like mail.baby is just their own IP subnets they’re warming and falling back to mailchannels.

• jarlandjarland Hosting ProviderOG

@Abdullah said:
    I have been waiting for the alternative to mailchannels Jarland mentioned about since sometime...any updates @jarland ?

Outlook less optimistic

Thanked by (1)vimalware

Do everything as though everyone you’ll ever know is watching.

• @Abdullah said: The best part is Pay as you Go, $0.2 per 1000 emails send, no per-server charge & outbound mail filtering.

Mail baby charges you $1 per month to keep the account active. This is a nominal amount just to make sure every user on our system is actively using our service. Pay for what you use billing model of 20 cents ($.20) for every 1000 emails sent.

even for a minimum of $1 that affordable, will test them in the future for my little project

• I’m kicking the tires. So far so good.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah
  • BlaZeBlaZe Hosting ProviderOG

Sorry, I don't promote child labour.

I let the big bois handle my emails (MXRoute)

/jk

Seems nice and pricing is good too though I fear the prices might increase in near future?

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

ExoticVM.com - Find VPS in exotic locations!

• edited October 2020

There's also a $1.00/month account 'alive'-ness fee.

AWS SES is $ 0.1/1000 mails .
    If my math is not completely off, that's 144,000 messages/month where SES is cheaper than their minimums?
    Edit: actually, break-even with SES volume would be further ahead. Not doing the linear algebra now; Anyone can figure it out.

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • @vimalware said:

If my math is not completely off, that's 144,000 messages/month where SES is cheaper than their minimums?
    Edit: actually, break-even with SES volume would be further ahead. Not doing the linear algebra now; Anyone can figure it out.

SES also charges for data transfer, which could potentially be an issue.

Thanked by (1)vimalware
  • edited October 2020

@BlaZe said: Seems nice and pricing is good too though I fear the prices might increase in near future?

More than possible.

As someone said on the other forum, the domain name was created on 2020-09-11, so this is a very fresh product, still hot from the oven. They first need to build a customer base.

Someone else said that they appear to be using MailChannels for all mail at the moment. (I don't know whether this is the case.)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• I thought they just used Mailchannel as a fallback.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

I can afford $30 every 3 years without even having to think about it so I just use mxroute, although full disclosure, I don't yet use mxroute because I have had far more important things to do than switch mail servers over all over the place (I have a lot too update) recently so instead I am an idiot paying mailchimp/mandrilapp $40 /month instead.

I should set a goal of being on mxroute within 2 weeks.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @angstrom said:

@BlaZe said: Seems nice and pricing is good too though I fear the prices might increase in near future?

More than possible.

As someone said on the other forum, the domain name was created on 2020-09-11, so this is a very fresh product, still hot from the oven. They first need to build a customer base.

Someone else said that they appear to be using MailChannels for all mail at the moment. (I don't know whether this is the case.)

Every mail I sent fell back to MailChannels

@vimalware said:

SES changes messege id and return path, which may break some apps. And this seems to be a MailChannels alternative, not SES anyway. Also SES requires you to change the sending domain to amazonses.com or sub.yourdomain.com which some might not like

Thanked by (2)vimalware angstrom
  • AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG
    edited October 2020

Using mxroute for my daily usage, its good.
    For DA relay, may use mailbaby.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I can afford $30 every 3 years without even having to think about it so I just use mxroute, although full disclosure, I don't yet use mxroute because I have had far more important things to do than switch mail servers over all over the place (I have a lot too update) recently so instead I am an idiot paying mailchimp/mandrilapp $40 /month instead.

I should set a goal of being on mxroute within 2 weeks.

So, any update on your 2 week goal??? ;)

Thanked by (2)scooke user123
  • Any updates anyone? I am having issues with it right now :-/

• edited November 2020

@aaronstuder said:
    Any updates anyone? I am having issues with it right now :-/

I remember a post a few days back that he switched over.

edit: found it https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/2075/took-a-while-but-les-emails-are-now-served-by-mxroute

• sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider
    edited November 2020

So mail.baby's backend is served by Nanny is MailChannels?

PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

• @AnthonySmith said: I can afford $30 every 3 years without even having to think about it so I just use mxroute, although full disclosure, I don't yet use mxroute because I have had far more important things to do than switch mail servers

Be careful with this - the same thing is happening to me for two years already :)

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@DataRecovery said:

@AnthonySmith said: I can afford $30 every 3 years without even having to think about it so I just use mxroute, although full disclosure, I don't yet use mxroute because I have had far more important things to do than switch mail servers

Be careful with this - the same thing is happening to me for two years already :)

Too late I already forgot about mxroute. :( Because it just works

Thanked by (1)vimalware

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

I know this is "back from the dead" - but I'm curious to hear the feedback from LESbians who've been using the mail.baby service for longer.

MXroute is just awesome, but it has a 300 per hour outbound limit, and I'm looking for a more scalable solution to deal with forum notification emails (under a dozen per day now, but I fear it will grow).

Is mail.baby good?
    Their pre-sales reply was a copy/paste (missing to answer my questions), so it doesn't look promising.
    Can you see the stats for the number of sent emails?
    Can you see a list of bounced or flagged emails (or at least have those sent to an email address) - so I can check and clear up the problematic user emails?

I mean, ideally, I'd prefer to just have @jarland shoot me an email if I ever go near the 300 emails per hour (over 200), saying: "hey Relja, you'll be paying XX per month to have your outbound limit doubled for that email account," but I suppose that might be more extra hassle than it's worth it for MXroute.

• MailChimp's Mandrill should work fine, but it costs 4 times more, and they want a min. of $20 per month minimum which is hard to justify when just starting.
    • Amazon SES looks like more hassle than it's worth for my use case (cost control in case something "strange" happens is one of my concerns too).

Relja SMTP Novović

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• necrolesbian but interesting mrs. novovic ;)

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin
  • @bikegremlin said:
    Is mail.baby good?

At least I know that @jarland uses them as a fallback. First MXRoute IPs, then mail.baby, which in turn uses their own IPs or MailChannels.

• edited October 2023

I use mailbaby at our company servers for 2 years. No problems at all.

Thanked by (3)Dazzle bikegremlin AaronSS
  • I have been using them since they came out without issues. Feel free to drop me a PM if you like to test with my account :)

@AaronSS said:
    I have been using them since they came out without issues. Feel free to drop me a PM if you like to test with my account :)

Thank you for the generous offer (I'm not being sarcastic).
    I trust the LESbian feedback.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• Been using it since March and had no complaints. I'm not aware of any way to monitor statistics or see bounced messages (outside of looking at my logs) but I went from being entirely blocked by gmail and outlook (no matter how many green checkmarks the various online tools gave me or how many blacklists showed me as 100% unlisted) to not even going into spam. Still the best $1/mo. I've spent (although a little odd that they don't want to charge for a year in advance).

edited October 2023

@cornercase said:
    Been using it since March and had no complaints. I'm not aware of any way to monitor statistics or see bounced messages (outside of looking at my logs) but I went from being entirely blocked by gmail and outlook (no matter how many green checkmarks the various online tools gave me or how many blacklists showed me as 100% unlisted) to not even going into spam. Still the best $1/mo. I've spent (although a little odd that they don't want to charge for a year in advance).

You check the logs of the server where the email sending is "activated"?
    The MailBaby (Interserver) control panel doesn't show the number of sent and bounced emails?
    Or does the control panel show all the logs related to the mail.baby SMTP use?

EDIT:
    If I got these instructions correctly, MailBaby requires you add your hosting server IP to your SPF record (thus exposing it to the public if you are using Cloudflare)?

https://www.mail.baby/tips/spf/

"TLDR: Add include:relay.mailbaby.net ip4:MAIN_SERVERIP_ADDRESS to your DNS spf record."

• @bikegremlin said:

Yes.

The MailBaby (Interserver) control panel doesn't show the number of sent and bounced emails?

It actually does, I just haven't bothered to look at it:

Yes, in addition to the above statistics (which include the email addresses in the pie charts underneath them) they also have a log of all the emails attempted with columns: ID, Time, To, From, Subject, Origin [IP], Response

EDIT:
    If I got these instructions correctly, MailBaby requires you add your hosting server IP to your SPF record (thus exposing it to the public if you are using Cloudflare)?

"TLDR: Add include:relay.mailbaby.net ip4:MAIN_SERVERIP_ADDRESS to your DNS spf record."

Yes, as your link states:

mailbaby servers will look at the SPF record to ensure the connecting server is authorized to send email for the specific domain

In the past I have used servermx.com when behind Cloudflare as it avoids this kind of IP leak.

@cornercase said:

@bikegremlin said:

Yes.

It actually does, I just haven't bothered to look at it:

Yes, in addition to the above statistics (which include the email addresses in the pie charts underneath them) they also have a log of all the emails attempted with columns: ID, Time, To, From, Subject, Origin [IP], Response

EDIT:

Yes, as your link states:

mailbaby servers will look at the SPF record to ensure the connecting server is authorized to send email for the specific domain

In the past I have used servermx.com when behind Cloudflare as it avoids this kind of IP leak.

Thanks for the detailed reply - you've explained everything I was confused about.

Didn't get that kind of explanation from the MailBaby/Interserver pre-sales folks - which could be considered as a red flag, but that's only one.

I don't like the idea of exposing the server's IP address through my SPF record. That's another red flag IMO. And that one is a deal breaker for me. MXroute does the job great without forcing the IP address exposure.

Based on that, I think I'll just wait until I get close to the MXroute's outbound volume limits, and pay my $20 for the MailChimp's Mandrill service. Who knows, maybe I'll never surpass the sending limits and save a few bucks. :)

• Does mail.baby provides white label solution? They have api, but what about spf records and mx servers?