Needed High RAM VPS monthly

We use netcup 48GB RAM, 10 core, 1 TB RS [2018 BF/CM deal] x 3 instances, the bandwidth consumption would be less than 300 GB per month. Netcup needed yearly contract, we pay 18 Euros [VAT excluded], a good price, all good except our market. A customer who backed major bill could not continue to support the project, hence we need an alternative, a monthly contract. Our contract end by Dec 09, 2020.

Any alternative reliable provider who provide or match the price for monthly contract? We don't expect to cancel hosting anytime soon, but our end customer insist monthly pricing.

Our spec requirement: (32 GB RAM x 500 GB HDD x 4 cores) x 3 instances. Budget about 50 USD per month.

Comments

• edited December 2020

Even though I never used it, you could try Hetzner Dedi.. VPS is not feasible at your budget. You need a dedicated one.

Thanked by (2)gks MaxKVM

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider

We have collocated dedicated server with 96GB Ram running idle. May be this guy can help you out @seriesn

Thanked by (1)gks

PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

• MaxKVMMaxKVM Hosting Provider

@gks said:
    We use netcup 48GB RAM, 10 core, 1 TB RS [2018 BF/CM deal] x 3 instances, the bandwidth consumption would be less than 300 GB per month. Netcup needed yearly contract, we pay 18 Euros [VAT excluded], a good price, all good except our market. A customer who backed major bill could not continue to support the project, hence we need an alternative, a monthly contract. Our contract end by Dec 09, 2020.

Any alternative reliable provider who provide or match the price for monthly contract? We don't expect to cancel hosting anytime soon, but our end customer insist monthly pricing.

Our spec requirement: (32 GB RAM x 500 GB HDD x 4 cores) x 3 instances. Budget about 50 USD per month.

KTS latest advent calendar offer is:

12 shared Xeon E5 Cores
    24 GB ECC Arbeitsspeicher
    200 GB SSD Speicher
    1 IPv4 inklusive
    € 13.99

https://kts24.com/special_offers#advent

Thanked by (2)ehab gks
  • Anyone used KTS, how it is compared to netcup

@ehab would you offer your feedback pls?

• @gks said:

sure, i have been using kts24 almost 3 years now if not more... i currently have 6 vm's with different specs and uses.

My experince has been very positive in terms of quality, network and support communication. I will continue using them.

So, yes, i recommend kts24 its best to PM @RapToN about your requirements, usage and budget. He can offer you a custom setup. One thing i can add if you are looking for a long term provider relationship then this one is a keeper :)

feel free to ask questions.

Thanked by (3)MaxKVM gks vimalware
  • @sweatbar said:
    We have collocated dedicated server with 96GB Ram running idle. May be this guy can help you out @seriesn

Thanks boss <3

@gks is it $50/box or $50 in total?

Thanked by (1)gks
  • @seriesn 50$ to 60$ in total,

This is for an IOT, Environment monitoring specific project. Had impacted by backers.

Attached what we pay to netcup [part amount], now we downsize them..

• @gks said:
    @seriesn 50$ to 60$ in total,

This is for an IOT, Environment monitoring specific project. Had impacted by backers.

Attached what we pay to netcup [part amount], now we downsize them..

Ah! That is a tough budget for sure :(. Cant do much

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited December 2020

How much ram do you actually need? Because you are essentially now asking for an even cheaper price than netcup which is near impossible for a VPS.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• gksgks OG
    edited December 2020

@AnthonySmith said:
    How much ram do you actually need?

Actually it is cluster, as per our understanding, it goes about 30 to 36 GB for sure minimum x 3 machines, running the same code, but partitioned data between machines.
    Other viable option is to move out of cluster, run on one VPS to keep the project running with regular backup.

What I realise is, it is tough to beat netcup with pricing with configuration.

@gks said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Actually it is cluster, as per our understanding, it goes about 30 to 36 GB for sure minimum x 3 machines, running the same code, but partitioned data between machines.
    Other viable option is to move out of cluster, run on one VPS to keep the project running with regular backup.

Yup, I don’t mean for this to sound harsh but if your project can’t afford netcup it may simply not be viable.

Thanked by (2)Hxxx AaronSS

• @AnthonySmith said:

@gks said:

@AnthonySmith said:

Yup, I don’t mean for this to sound harsh but if your project can’t afford netcup it may simply not be viable.

Well, we supply software modules, the customer [a professor] use it for environment monitoring, he had setup sensors across multiple cities, we pass through hosting bill to him. no money for us, but we use this as test bed for analytics and predictions. If we don't find host, then the deployment shall move into his university, then we will not able to access the data [VPN/other formalities]. We dont' want to bear the bill this year due to market, as this is one of 10 projects we support from academics students/professors. We have vested interest in project and data science, we loose access if hosting moved into university campus.

• HxxxHxxx OG
    edited December 2020

What are you doing on these machines? ML? Data science?
    If your project run every X time and the rest of the time is idling then you could take advantage of cloud hourly billing. Automate the process of deploying and destroying. Need to process something, deploy a big machine, when finished, destroy the machine, save money.

You could do this on the typical mainstream cloud provider: Digital Ocean, Vultr, Linode, RamNode, etc. @gks

Thanked by (3)gks yoursunny Nick_A
  • edited December 2020

Maybe Contabo VPS? Weaker than those by Netcup usually, but RAM is plenty

• @Hxxx said:
    What are you doing on these machines? ML? Data science?
    If your project run every X time and the rest of the time is idling then you could take advantage of cloud hourly billing. Automate the process of deploying and destroying. Need to process something, deploy a big machine, when finished, destroy the machine, save money.

You could do this on the typical mainstream cloud provider: Digital Ocean, Vultr, Linode, RamNode, etc. @gks

MQTT Broker -> Kafka -> Flink Stream Analytics -> DB cluster
    Spark + ML + Analytics
    Alert Rules etc
    Few ETL Jobs

• Grafana, Prometheus, Superset

The system is designed for continuous processing of incoming data.

In our experience, nothing better than netcup and Hetzner in terms of value for money for high computing jobs.
    we have Digital Ocean startup credit, we could not use it as it will burnout too fast.

• @gks .. you need dedicated resources FULL STOP.

Thanked by (1)gks
  • HxxxHxxx OG
    edited December 2020

Try to put all that in a single E3 dedicated server with 32GB RAM , maybe for $35.00 /mo to 50/mo? Can you limit or moderate the ram? @gks

Since you are on a very tiny budget.

Thanked by (1)gks
  • @ehab @Hxxx I am checking Hetzner dedi SB option.

I forget who is doing it, but someone, maybe IBM/Softlayer was giving free resources to educational or scientific projects at some point, maybe someone remembers better than me, that might be something to look into.

Might be worth considering for a while to give you some time to attract additional funding because clearly, the lack of funding is the real limitation here.

• @gks said: Our spec requirement: (32 GB RAM x 500 GB HDD x 4 cores) x 3 instances. Budget about 50 USD per month.

your best bet is the hetzner + proxmox

• sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider

I can give you our collocated server which is running idle at this moment. No restart/shutdown module developed therefore you have to use Dell Idrac Enterprise Module. Hardware is a little bit old though and you should manage your own backups. Let me know if interested.

===============================
    Dell R610
    X5670
    96GB RAM DDR3 (6x 16GB)
    12 Dedicated Cores
    2x 120GB SSD
    1x 480GB SSD
    4 IPv4
    /64 IPv6 Block
    1 Gbps Dedicated Port
    10TB Bandwidth
    (LevelOne Servers)

$65 /Month

Additional Bandwidth: $3/TB/Mo

Thanked by (1)gks

PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

• @AnthonySmith said:
    I forget who is doing it, but someone, maybe IBM/Softlayer was giving free resources to educational or scientific projects at some point, maybe someone remembers better than me, that might be something to look into.

Might be worth considering for a while to give you some time to attract additional funding because clearly, the lack of funding is the real limitation here.

We are working on funding, that seems more viable option at this moment. They had offer from various players especially on lower scale like 8/16 GB, Data size grown since then.

Hetzner dedi cluster would be option, meanwhile just pushing some fund would help to keep the hosting with current provide with this pandemic crisis

• If performance isn't a big issue, maybe SSDNodes? Have only heard bad things about them, but they are in your budget range (when paid yearly or 3years)

32GB RAM
    400GB SSD
    8 vCPU
    16TB transfer
    $129/yr or $297/3y

Under is the bench for their Performance lineup (which should have NVMe disk), just for your reference (the pricing I mentioned is for the regular lineup)
    Also note that they don't allow custom ISO installs and removing pre-installed packages (iirc something related to memory ballooning)

root@ssdnodes-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -i
    # ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## #
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-11-20                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Mon 07 Dec 2020 06:36:21 AM UTC

Basic System Information:
    ---------------------------------
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4214 CPU @ 2.20GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 2200.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 31.4 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 472.4 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
      ------   | ---            ----  | ----           ----
    Read       | 20.24 MB/s    (5.0k) | 254.36 MB/s   (3.9k)
    Write      | 20.26 MB/s    (5.0k) | 255.70 MB/s   (3.9k)
    Total      | 40.51 MB/s   (10.1k) | 510.06 MB/s   (7.9k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 568.57 MB/s   (1.1k) | 521.60 MB/s    (509)
    Write      | 598.78 MB/s   (1.1k) | 556.34 MB/s    (543)
    Total      | 1.16 GB/s     (2.2k) | 1.07 GB/s     (1.0k)

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 501
    Multi Core      | 1936
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5201285

• @sanvit said:
    If performance isn't a big issue, maybe SSDNodes? Have only heard bad things about them, but they are in your budget range (when paid yearly or 3years)

32GB RAM
    400GB SSD
    8 vCPU
    16TB transfer
    $129/yr or $297/3y

Under is the bench for their Performance lineup (which should have NVMe disk), just for your reference (the pricing I mentioned is for the regular lineup)
    Also note that they don't allow custom ISO installs and removing pre-installed packages (iirc something related to memory ballooning)

root@ssdnodes-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:~# curl -sL yabs.sh | bash -s -- -i
    #              Yet-Another-Bench-Script              #
    #                     v2020-11-20                    #
    # https://github.com/masonr/yet-another-bench-script #

Mon 07 Dec 2020 06:36:21 AM UTC

Basic System Information:
    Processor  : Intel(R) Xeon(R) Silver 4214 CPU @ 2.20GHz
    CPU cores  : 8 @ 2200.000 MHz
    AES-NI     : ✔ Enabled
    VM-x/AMD-V : ❌ Disabled
    RAM        : 31.4 GiB
    Swap       : 0.0 KiB
    Disk       : 472.4 GiB

fio Disk Speed Tests (Mixed R/W 50/50):
    Block Size | 4k            (IOPS) | 64k           (IOPS)
    Read       | 20.24 MB/s    (5.0k) | 254.36 MB/s   (3.9k)
    Write      | 20.26 MB/s    (5.0k) | 255.70 MB/s   (3.9k)
    Total      | 40.51 MB/s   (10.1k) | 510.06 MB/s   (7.9k)
               |                      |
    Block Size | 512k          (IOPS) | 1m            (IOPS)
    Read       | 568.57 MB/s   (1.1k) | 521.60 MB/s    (509)
    Write      | 598.78 MB/s   (1.1k) | 556.34 MB/s    (543)
    Total      | 1.16 GB/s     (2.2k) | 1.07 GB/s     (1.0k)

Geekbench 5 Benchmark Test:
    Test            | Value
                    |
    Single Core     | 501
    Multi Core      | 1936
    Full Test       | https://browser.geekbench.com/v5/cpu/5201285

I had account with them, they needed idlers on RAM and CPUs. Not so suitable for our work.

Today we are raising another rounds of fund to secure for 1 year netcup or Hetzner dedi on monthly.

• What's the load-avg on your netcup vps : min, avg and daily peak burst durations?