New hosting comapny comming, opinions and wishes wanted!

So, after alot of years of experience with hosting, it is time to take a huge step and register a company instead of renting out vms over email. We are specific plans on what to offer, and how to do it. We have a decent budget to start up, have no big expences, and will take it slow and steady as a start. This way, we are sure to not simply dissapear after a few months like we see alot here.

The plan is to host KVM Ryzen vps servers out of Hetzner, both with hdd and nvme. We will be running virtualizor, and whmcs (or blesta, we are still testing to see what we like the most).

My question to you, is what plans would you like to see?
Here is a few examples of what we want to offer :

All plans comes with 10gbit port speed, 1 dedicated ipv4, unlimited traffic. Cpu cores and network is fair share. We will not be idiots and block people using their resources, but if you pin your cpu at 100% over days at a time, we might email you and look for solutions. There will be some rules in virtualizor also making sure resources are shared fair over all clients on the nodes.

1vcore, 1gb ram, 20gb nvme
Price around $4

1vcore, 2gb ram, 40gb nvme
Price around $6

2 vcore, 4gb ram, 60gb nvme
Price around $10

4 vcore, 8gb ram, 120gb nvme
Price around $18

8 vcore, 16gb ram, 240gb nvme
Price around $30

16 vcore, 32gb ram, 480gb nvme
Price around $55

For storage servers, we are going to run LOCAL disks WITH raid, so performance will be alot better than most network based storage virtual servers. We are not sure if we want to price our storage vps servers per TB, or make specific packages, but we should be able to offer 1 vcore, 1gb ram, 1TB for around $6 per month. Simply add it up to get the storage you need. For example :

10vcore, 10gb ram, 10.000gb hdd will be around $60

This is in no way a sales post. This is more a post to check the market, and see if our pricing is on point. While doing those prices, we will profit alright, without overselling anything. We have done alot of math and planning into this.

Thank you for your attention. We are looking forward to launch our products soon!

What is your thoughts on pricing?
  1. Its good15 votes
    1. To high
      80.00%
    2. To low
      13.33%
    3. I want other packages (please comment in thread!)
        6.67%

Comments

• Ain't quite Summer yet. :/

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• edited January 2021

@kuroneko23 said:
    FlowVPS vs VpsFlow

FlowVPS already existed on OGF. I believe their location is in Australia. @trewq

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

there are many hetzner resellers, really quite competitive in that hetzner segment.

the prices seem ok for list price, but to capture low end market it may need 30-50% "flash deals" to get things moving.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @VpsFlow said:
    We will be running virtualizor

Ahh the crummy Virtualizor.

• ISO doesn't work at half of the provider.
    • Incomplete information about IP address: missing subnet and gateway information.
    • Unclear graphs about bandwidth usage: only monthly graph, no hourly graph.

SolusVM is a lot better.

All plans comes with 10gbit port speed, 1 dedicated ipv4, unlimited traffic.

Where's the IPv6?
    I'd rather have IPv6 /64 and IPv4 21 ports, not paying IPv4 tax.

Cpu cores and network is fair share. We will not be idiots and block people using their resources, but if you pin your cpu at 100% over days at a time, we might email you and look for solutions.

So the CPU policy is "100% for no more than 2 consecutive days". This would be great for encoding push-ups. If I have 3 hours of content per day, I can finish encoding in 18 hours, and pause the pipeline for 1 hour each day to stay in line with the CPU policy.

Viewers watch my content over Named Data Networking network, but iOS devices are incompatible. Because this server has unlimited bandwidth, I would be serving iOS viewers over HTTP, but then I have to keep the IPv4.

Thanked by (3)Freek Asim Not_Oles

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@yoursunny said: So the CPU policy is "100% for no more than 2 consecutive days". This would be great for encoding push-ups. If I have 3 hours of content per day, I can finish encoding in 18 hours, and pause the pipeline for 1 hour each day to stay in line with the CPU policy.

And this @VpsFlow is your first lesson in very carefully considering your policy from day 1 because if people can abuse a shared resource environment they will :) it only takes 5% of your customers to ruin the experience for the other 95%

price wise you messed up your poll so I am not sure answering it will help but if my opinion counts for anything, your prices are too high, you are using desktop hardware in an ultra-budget data centre so your prices need to come down by around 40% to remain competative.

Thanked by (3)seriesn Freek Asim

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• The price is okay but not the hosting name, VpsFlow ?

• Someone needs to seriously think about this :)

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• DreamDream OGServices Provider
    edited January 2021

Just my 2 Cents as a provider.

The pricing should be your last thing to think about. First go ahead an make a ROI (return of Investment) as this should be your Priority number one.
    Most of the small Companies will have trouble to have the bare income for the start of the business. As you go in advance payment. And trust me, when I say that when you’ve a budget for let’s say 6 Months, that it won’t last 6 Months.
    Also, don’t take other Company’s Pricing as your go to, as they may have other commissions or contracts with the Datacenter direct.

And Yes of course the LE market is ranting about the pricing, as they only see this. But more think about what you can offer what other company’s cant. A good example is support. If you want to provide good and reasonable Support than you need to account this in, as I think you don’t want to work for free, and a Worker needs to get paid a decent amount. Otherwise he/she will make you a bad reputation faster as you can open or close your eyes.

1vcore, 1gb ram, 20gb nvme
    Price around $4
    1vcore, 2gb ram, 40gb nvme
    Price around $6
    2 vcore, 4gb ram, 60gb nvme
    Price around $10
    4 vcore, 8gb ram, 120gb nvme
    Price around $18
    8 vcore, 16gb ram, 240gb nvme
    Price around $30
    16 vcore, 32gb ram, 480gb nvme
    Price around $55

From my Point of view is this pricing not feasible for a starter company, as you may just get enough money to pay the bill’s, but you won’t gather enough to provide any additional gimmicks’ like backup, snapshot.

Also, as example with Hetzner explicitly:
    Be prepared to “hack” your way through they’re networking. There are some bridges and hurdle which can be nasty for newcomers. Which may not have the required technical know how for this specific example.
    An other point is the “unlimited Bandwidth”. Don’t think this is your main selling point, as the most clients don’t make more than 1-2 TB traffic (outgoing) and as my knowledge Hetzner only want you to pay for outgoing anyway.

** For storage servers, we are going to run LOCAL disks WITH raid, so performance will be a lot better than most network based storage virtual servers.
    This is not as correct as you may think. A Setup with ceph and SSD/NVME Tiering and 100Gbit will always outperform any local disks. Also, Any old HP Eva Like P6300 with FC and 100 Drives will also outperform A node with only 4 10TB drives. Not that you’re wrong, but there is always the aspect of the money and the Client segment which LE users won’t pay you for.

Last but not Least. I wish you all the best with your upcoming Project/Dream (hehe). And if you’ve any Questions or problems. The People here are pretty nice to help you out. Also, If it's in a reasonable amount, I’m here to answer your questions.

Thanked by (3)someTom Freek verd
  • As others have stated, your price is too high and you must really think about your 'abuse' policy before hand. @yoursunny has perfectly described why your proposed policy would not be....ideal for other clients sharing the same node.

At Hetzner, I can get a 1 vCPU (AMD EPYC, so enterprise grade) 2GB RAM 20GB NVME VPS for around $ 3.6 a month. That is a VPS from a large reputable company and it has more RAM than your proposed smallest package.

• edited January 2021

The pricing is too high if these green forums are your target audience. I could get similar servers from nexusbytes at lower prices and without fear of deadpooling. I think it is very difficult to make it work with only the low end market unless you are ready to make nearly nothing from your business. Also, some people are going to exploit your unlimited traffic at 10 Gbps

Thanked by (2)lentro seriesn
  • The end is nigh.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

You need to find a good niche, and typically pricing isn't the place to be, as there will always be someone willing to provide the same product cheaper.

However, there is a catch 22 for support - how can you get good support like 24 hour/day without having the customers to pay for them?

Typically, I like to have one big customer when I start off if I start a business. Use the profits from that to create a company, and when that customer leaves, you still have a company left.

• Thanks for the feedbacks.
    I dont really need to make alot of money doing this. As long as each node covers the running costs, plus a little something extra, im fine. We are a few guys who is going together on this. Support may not be instant 24/7, but within a couple of hours one of us should be able to get back to you.

I see you are taking Hetzner cloud in here as a comparison. Two main reasons to pick me instead would be 10gbit, and Ryzen cores, who out performs hetzner cloud easily. Also, personal support with thing you may need help with, who hetzner just replys "hardware and network is fine, read our wiki" and then ignores you.

I understand this is not easy, simple or something to get rich for. Thank you for feedback so far

• @VpsFlow said: 10gbit port speed, 1 dedicated ipv4, unlimited traffic

You very likely don't want customers taking "unlimited 10gbit traffic" seriously.
    Please define actual limits. Or am I fine with 500TB traffic per month?