Is dropbox business advanced a good alternative to gdrive?

Been using google drive (unlimited gsuite accounts) for a long time, but google is hitting alot of users now. So im looking for good alternatives.

DropBox lets you use "unlimited" storage when you order Business advanced, for 15 euro / month (but you need 3 accounts, so really 45 euro / month).

Is this a good alternative to google drive? Any experience with this? Will mainly be used for plex and backups over rclone.

My little hobby site -> www.RaveX.eu
Install windows on pretty much any vps or dedi! -> Click here

Comments

• What do you mean by 'hitting a lot of users now'? I'm also using Gdrive unlimited and apart from their announcement, I haven't noticed any difference yet.

Thanked by (1)Janevski
  • @Freek said:
    What do you mean by 'hitting a lot of users now'? I'm also using Gdrive unlimited and apart from their announcement, I haven't noticed any difference yet.

I mean that they have started to clean up accounts not following the rules

• @RaveX said:

@Freek said:
    What do you mean by 'hitting a lot of users now'? I'm also using Gdrive unlimited and apart from their announcement, I haven't noticed any difference yet.

You mean the minimum account rule?

• @Freek said:

@RaveX said:

@Freek said:

That, and those cheap ebay licenses.
    Im planning to move all my data home, but when you are storing over 100TB, and with a 750gb / day limit, it will take forever. Also the cost of building a NAS suitable and expandable for this is expensive. Think i need to reduse my plex library -.-

• edited January 2021

@RaveX said:

@Freek said:

@RaveX said:

@Freek said:

Im planning to move all my data home, but when you are storing over 100TB, and with a 750gb / day limit, it will take forever. Also the cost of building a NAS suitable and expandable for this is expensive. Think i need to reduse my plex library -.-

Using one of those unlimited eBay Gdrives is indeed asking for trouble, because you don't know what the others on the account are doing. In case they share illegal stuff, Google is going to terminate the account for sure.

You can get around the 750GB limit using service accounts. I moved approx 110TB of data within 2 weeks using those. See: https://github.com/88lex/sa-guide

Anyway, back to your original question; Dropbox is the only major cloud provider left that I know of to offer unlimited storage. Indeed, you need to signup for a Business account and qualify for the minimum amount of users, but apart from that the storage is truly unlimited according to their support. There's just one big gotcha; Dropbox Business Advanced provides as much space as is needed, but you don't get it all at once. You start with 3TB. As you need more you simply contact Support and they increase your space.

• @RaveX said:

@Freek said:

@RaveX said:

@Freek said:

750GB is daily upload limit, your download limit should be 10 TB/day

A simple uptime dashboard using UptimeRobot API https://upy.duo.ovh
    Currently using VPS from BuyVM, GreenCloudVPS, Gullo's, Hetzner, HostHatch, InceptionHosting, LetBox, MaxKVM, MrVM, VirMach.

• @Freek said:

@RaveX said:

@Freek said:

@RaveX said:

@Freek said:

Using one of those unlimited eBay Gdrives is indeed asking for trouble, because you don't know what the others on the account are doing. In case they share illegal stuff, Google is going to terminate the account for sure.

You can get around the 750GB limit using service accounts. I moved approx 110TB of data within 2 weeks using those. See: https://github.com/88lex/sa-guide

Anyway, back to your original question; Dropbox is the only major cloud provider left that I know of to offer unlimited storage. Indeed, you need to signup for a Business account and qualify for the minimum amount of users, but apart from that the storage is truly unlimited according to their support. There's just one big gotcha; Dropbox Business Advanced provides as much space as is needed, but you don't get it all at once. You start with 3TB. As you need more you simply contact Support and they increase your space.

He has 100TB, would dropbox offer 100TB for $45 if you ask nicely?

• @lols said:

@Freek said:

@RaveX said:

@Freek said:

@RaveX said:

@Freek said:

He has 100TB, would dropbox offer 100TB for $45 if you ask nicely?

Yes, at least that's what Dropbox support told me when I inquired about this approx 3 months ago but don't shoot the messenger.

• @Freek said:

Yes, at least that's what Dropbox support told me when I inquired about this approx 3 months ago but don't shoot the messenger.

Nice. Thanks!

• Hey, i can recommend the Koofr lifetime deal on Stacksocial. Sometimes there are 40% off coupons that bring it down to around 100 but I got it back for when it was a bit lower at 80. I haven't had any problems with it!

• @lowendmeow said:
    Hey, i can recommend the Koofr lifetime deal on Stacksocial. Sometimes there are 40% off coupons that bring it down to around 100 but I got it back for when it was a bit lower at 80. I haven't had any problems with it!

OP will need 100 Lifetime accounts from Koofr. Great service , btw

• @vyas said:

@lowendmeow said:
    Hey, i can recommend the Koofr lifetime deal on Stacksocial. Sometimes there are 40% off coupons that bring it down to around 100 but I got it back for when it was a bit lower at 80. I haven't had any problems with it!

OP will need 100 Lifetime accounts from Koofr. Great service , btw

Oops, brain fart, it is a good service though, and you can update after the fact to 2.5 gb lifetime too. but yes, sorry it doesn't fit this scenario. when you need this much storage for sure there are only limited options these days and it's good to know what's truly unlimited and for what use cases! it's a shame about google.