Self hosted uptime monitor for tiny yearly vps?

Hey, I have one of those cheap yearly VPSes that's idling and I'd like to turn it into an uptime monitor for my other idling VPSes haha. I was wondering if anyone has a favorite self hosted solution for this? That's also easy on resources or I can limit cpu in a docker container. Thanks

Comments

• Statping is one I know of; https://github.com/statping/statping

Thanked by (2)thagoat ehab
  • Nagios is old school but don't people still use it?

Thanked by (1)thagoat
  • I want to make a scenic route monitoring setup with all my boxes:

• iptables rule on vpsk would receive packets from vpsk-1 and forward it to vpsk+1 (if k=9 forward to vps0).
    • I only need userspace program on vps0: it periodically transmits a packet to vps1 and expect the same packet to come back from vps9.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• @Neoon's Night-Sky, didn't try it before but it looks good.

• @willie said:
    Nagios is old school but don't people still use it?

We sure do. And Naemon. And Icinga.

• alwyzonalwyzon Hosting Provider
    edited January 2021

Statping, as referenced by Freek already, is really nice. If you are a PHP developer by any chance and are looking to customise your uptime monitor, you might also want to consider Spaties uptime monitor (see also). It's Laravel-based and rather simplistic, but that provides a nice base to add your own features - especially if you are already familiar with the Laravel framework.

Alwyzon - Virtual Servers in Austria starting at 4,49 €/month (excl. VAT)

• recently there is something like upptime which uses github actions, i like the idea more. the dev is innovative guy

you can give it a try

• Thanks so much for the options, guys! I thought for some reason there would be more options out there or some new up and coming ones.

I did notice the Upptime one that uses github actions but I'm not a fan of github, especially since Microsoft took over. But I think it's a smart serverless solution!

I saw that Statping seemed to be the most popular one and is already included in HomelabOS that I used on one of my servers. Thanks for the PHP option. I have a friend who is a fan of Laravel and I'll send it to him.

Just found this, what do you guys think, anyone tried it? https://github.com/brotandgames/ciao

• Statping has multiple checking options. Ciao seems to have only one.

• @Hakim said:
    Statping has multiple checking options. Ciao seems to have only one.

yeah I noticed that. I think I'll go with statping for now. but I like Ciao's ui