Hetzner Storage Share or Koofr

I'm looking for a file sync service with a desktop client for both Linux and Mac. I'm currently considering Hetzner's storage shares or Koofr. I was wondering if people who had used them had any thoughts on why one might be preferable to the other.

"I would prefer not to." --Bartleby

Comments

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Hi @folio!

Probably you've seen this, the 5th result in Google search for Hetzner Storage Share:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=25482273

Best wishes from Mexico!

Thanked by (2)nhocconan folio

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• @folio said:
    I'm looking for a file sync service with a desktop client for both Linux and Mac. I'm currently considering Hetzner's storage shares or Koofr. I was wondering if people who had used them had any thoughts on why one might be preferable to the other.

Hi,
    How much storage space you are talking about?
    What is the monthly/ annual budget you had in mind?
    How much data transfer?

I would happily recommend Koofr any day. A few others in LES will do too, but you know your needs best- mentioning them can help you get more relevant answers!
    Cheers

Thanked by (1)folio
  • Hetzner storage share is just nextcloud, I think. No idea about koofr. I have a self-hosted nextcloud on a vultr VM near me which isn't that cost effective, but it was convenient to set up and I wanted a nearby location because I use it for stuff like voice chat as well as files. I will try to move it to a lower end VM when I get around to it. if hetzner were nearby of course I'd use it, but the ping from north america is just too long for my purposes.

Thanked by (1)folio
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited January 2021

I think up to 1TB a Koofr lifetime is hard to beat. Inter-cloud-copying is really useful and I love Koofr so far :)

WebDav and Rsync is also supported iirc.

Thanked by (2)folio lowendmeow
  • foliofolio OG
    edited January 2021

I don't need more than 100G, and I would like to stay below 4USD per month. Hetzner's 100G storage share fits this. I am seeing a Koofr 100G lifetime offer for 29.99USD at stacksocial. I am wondering if there is any reason not to go with the Koofr offer. For example, is the Koofr desktop client as reliable as the Nextcloud client? Does the Koofr client allow the same fine-grained control over which directories sync and which do not -- the way the Nextcloud does? (This is just for desktop sync'ing. I use Backblaze b2 for storage.)

"I would prefer not to." --Bartleby

• If you don't need more than 100G you can try the novos.be 200g offer listed in the other thread :)

Thanked by (2)martijnk folio
  • @folio said:
    I don't need more than 100G, and I would like to stay below 4USD per month. Hetzner's 100G storage share fits this. I am seeing a Koofr 100G lifetime offer for 29.99USD at stacksocial. I am wondering if there is any reason not to go with the Koofr offer. For example, is the Koofr desktop client as reliable as the Nextcloud client? Does the Koofr client allow the same fine-grained control over which directories sync and which do not -- the way the Nextcloud does? (This is just for desktop sync'ing. I use Backblaze b2 for storage.)

Check the other thread, €1 one-time for 200 GB but be quick ;)

Thanked by (1)folio
  • @martijnk said:

i have never see martijnk so horny about this service.

Thanked by (1)ialexpw