Introducing NOVOS BRICK cloud storage - 200 GB for just €1 (one-time only)

Comments

• @Fritz said:
    Got one.

In total received 7 emails.

Get some 405 errors randomly.

Rclone command 'list' is disabled for WebDav.

I think these are database related. I'm still working to optimize the DB but I can see random errors still occur. I hope to get rid of all of these in the future. However, it's still webdav. It's will probably never be as reliable as e.g. NFS but I will do my best to optimize it the best I can. Suggestions are always welcome and I will look at it.

• @martijnk said:

@Fritz said:
    Got one.

I think these are database related. I'm still working to optimize the DB but I can see random errors still occur. I hope to get rid of all of these in the future. However, it's still webdav. It's will probably never be as reliable as e.g. NFS but I will do my best to optimize it the best I can. Suggestions are always welcome and I will look at it.

Hi, is it possible to have Extract App added to Nextcloud?

• Upload speed is around 2MB/s -4 MB/s using Rclone.

Uploaded 15GB took 1 hour 10 minutes.

• @Fritz said:

@martijnk said:

@Fritz said:
    Got one.

Hi, is it possible to have Extract App added to Nextcloud?

It's possible but it wouldn't work since it doesn't support encryption yet. I will add it when it does.

• edited February 2021

@Xenic said:
    IPv6 is disabled :scream:
    @martijnk

So IPv6 as well as HTTP/2 have now been enabled :)

• @martijnk said:

@Xenic said:
    IPv6 is disabled :scream:
    @martijnk

So IPv6 as well as HTTP/2 have now been enabled :)

Nice :D

• Uploading to NC is slower (1MB/s) . Anyone has similar exp? Thanks.

• @lols said:
    Uploading to NC is slower (1MB/s) . Anyone has similar exp? Thanks.

Small files?

Action and Reaction in history

• @elliotc said:

@lols said:

Small files?

big

• @lols said:

yes , may be too many neighbors ?

• edited February 2021

Loved breaking the sign-up by using an "invalid" e-mail address with a +-sign in it. MartijnK quickly solved that.

Nobody will complain about it of course, but NextCloud's Talk seems to have issues. (Who cares about talk when we're going all going for storage, right?)
    But just in case: I always seem to end up at https://brick.novos.be/apps/spreed/not-found , because https://brick.novos.be/ocs/v2.php/apps/spreed/api/v1/signaling/ returns 404.

The service does max out my inet speeds, so that's very nice! (Only 250mbit down, 25 mbit up)

Besides that, very nice service. I also like the hybridVPS plans with some SSD storage and lots of HDD storage!

• edited February 2021

Used cyberduck , Uploading at 15MB/sec on a 200Mbps connection

Thanked by (1)martijnk
  • @Groentjuh said:
    Loved breaking the sign-up by using an "invalid" e-mail address with a +-sign in it. MartijnK quickly solved that.

Nobody will complain about it of course, but NextCloud's Talk seems to have issues. (Who cares about talk when we're going all going for storage, right?)
    But just in case: I always seem to end up at https://brick.novos.be/apps/spreed/not-found , because https://brick.novos.be/ocs/v2.php/apps/spreed/api/v1/signaling/ returns 404.

The service does max out my inet speeds, so that's very nice! (Only 250mbit down, 25 mbit up)

Besides that, very nice service. I also like the hybridVPS plans with some SSD storage and lots of HDD storage!

It would surprise you how many people used a + in their email address, what is that all about? :)

Anyway thanks for the nice words I'm glad to hear you like our products. Indeed we try to offer a bit more different stuff than most other providers.

I don't know about Talk but I had zero complains so far so yeah I don't think peole care about it much.

• @martijnk said: I don't know about Talk but I had zero complains so far so yeah I don't think peole care about it much.

There is an issue with Talk. It shows an error message which hard to read because it redirects very fast to the 'The conversation does not exist" AKA 404 error page. But I have no issue with it as I only use the storage.

BTW, the trash issue still exists.

• @Hakim said:

@martijnk said: I don't know about Talk but I had zero complains so far so yeah I don't think peole care about it much.

There is an issue with Talk. It shows an error message which hard to read because it redirects very fast to the 'The conversation does not exist" AKA 404 error page. But I have no issue with it as I only use the storage.

BTW, the trash issue still exists.

Yeah I can reproduce that. Talk needs some additional configuration though. I will do that later, for now I've disabled it since it's not working anyway.

The trash issue I can confirm, deleted items don't end up in trash. I'm still investigating this but it's a bit low on the list right now :)

Thanked by (2)Hakim Groentjuh
  • edited February 2021

@martijnk said:
    It would surprise you how many people used a + in their email address, what is that all about?

Plenty of email services ignore the bit after that + sign. So [email protected] will just go to [email protected]. It's a simple way to allow you to use "unique" emails for each sign-up. In case of gmail, it also ignores any dots. So [email protected] will also go to [email protected]. Alternative options are having an catch-all email account on their own domains or creating aliases for each service.

@martijnk said:
    Yeah I can reproduce that. Talk needs some additional configuration though. I will do that later, for now I've disabled it since it's not working anyway.

As "tester", I love to press all the buttons and this one oddly broke. All the other things I could press worked fine. Except the trash can, but you're aware of that! Oh and it was not completely broken. Any guests invited to a chat could perfectly use it somehow. Only as logged in person it wouldn't work.

• @Groentjuh said:
    As "tester", I love to press all the buttons and this one oddly broke.

I know exactly what you mean.

Thanked by (3)Abdullah Groentjuh mikho
  • edited February 2021

@ehab said:

@Groentjuh said:
    As "tester", I love to press all the buttons and this one oddly broke.

I know exactly what you mean.

Why did you upload my picture there? :p

Thanked by (2)user123 ehab
  • Thanks for the offer!

Are you keeping TLS 1.0 enabled intentionally, for compatibility with old clients? If not, security-wise it's better to only allow TLS 1.2+.

Thanked by (2)vimalware yoursunny
  • @Groentjuh said:

Plenty of email services ignore the bit after that + sign. So [email protected] will just go to [email protected]. It's a simple way to allow you to use "unique" emails for each sign-up. In case of gmail, it also ignores any dots. So [email protected] will also go to [email protected].

On the very Day I wrote a long-ish post on the topic. I could not have summarized it better. I was planning to start a new discussion on the other methods, will do so anyways.

• @andreipoe said:
    Thanks for the offer!

Are you keeping TLS 1.0 enabled intentionally, for compatibility with old clients? If not, security-wise it's better to only allow TLS 1.2+.

Indeed for compatibility reasons. I don't know if it is required though, I will gather some logs over time to see the amount of <TLS 1.2 connections and then decide. But 1.3 is enabled and will be used anyway if your browser supports it :)

Thanked by (2)kkrajk vimalware
  • Any issue if I encrypt my files beforehand? I know nextcloud won't mind, but if you are deduplicating etc..

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @dahartigan said: Any issue if I encrypt my files beforehand? I know nextcloud won't mind, but if you are deduplicating etc..

Will the files you are storing identical to other users? Definitely not. Unless you are storing movies, TVs, etc. So, deduplication has nothing to do here.

• @Hakim said:

@dahartigan said: Any issue if I encrypt my files beforehand? I know nextcloud won't mind, but if you are deduplicating etc..

Will the files you are storing identical to other users? Definitely not. Unless you are storing movies, TVs, etc. So, deduplication has nothing to do here.

Not storing those, no, thanks for your input. Keeping the conversation alive etc..

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @lols said:

My average upload speed was 800 KB/s from Verizon FiOS in Washington DC region.

I'm using rclone sync command on a GL-AR750 that has MIPS processor and 128MB RAM.
    After several round of trial and error, I found the best command line to be:

nice /mnt/N/rclone --ca-cert /mnt/N/globalsign.pem --buffer-size 1M --max-backlog 64 \
      --modify-window 2s -P sync /mnt/N/photo BRICK:photo

• --ca-cert is needed because OpenWrt doesn't have CA certificates.
    • --buffer-size and --max-backlog reduce memory usage to less than 16MB.
    • --modify-window sets some tolerance on modify time, because Nextcloud only supports 1s time resolution while my local filesystem has 1us resolution.

@Hakim said:

@dahartigan said: Any issue if I encrypt my files beforehand? I know nextcloud won't mind, but if you are deduplicating etc..

If the deduplication logic has Rabin fingerprints, it can detect duplicate segments among different files are arbitrary offsets (not predefined blocks).
    For example, if you copy a text file then insert one word in the beginning, a block-based deduplucation algorithm won't find a duplicate, but Rabin fingerprints algorithm can.

However, it's not worthwhile to do that in a storage server because CPU computation is more expensive than HDD space.
    Rabin fingerprints can be used to deduplicate network traffic, if it's not that crummy WebDAV…

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• First impressions are pretty good, ordering and activation is very very fast. I see about ~1,5MB/s upload speed, which is on par with GDrive (my ISP is UPC 500/30Mb/s). Right now, only issue that i see is in client area, the gray text on blue background is not very readable, but this should be a easy problem to fix.

Thanks for the offer!

• @issei said:
    First impressions are pretty good, ordering and activation is very very fast. I see about ~1,5MB/s upload speed, which is on par with GDrive (my ISP is UPC 500/30Mb/s). Right now, only issue that i see is in client area, the gray text on blue background is not very readable, but this should be a easy problem to fix.

Thanks for the offer!

Thanks for noticing! indeed that's an easy fix but also low priority, but I'll put it on the list of my 1000 other cosmetic updates I have to do.

Btw you should try Cyberduck to upload, I hear it's much faster :)

• edited February 2021

Have been using basic Nextcloud for remote backups for quite some time - 4 servers, using webDAV/rsync.
    Couldn't resist this offer. :)
    It'll be interesting to compare performance etc.
    Uploading ISOs (yes,really) 297MB of 17GB 5 hours left, using NextCloud client in Linux Mint. Nicely saturating my 1.1MB/s upload.

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• @yoursunny said:

@dosai said:
    has anyone successfully mounted nextcloud using webdav?

I set a system-wide mount for WebDAV.
    All files would show up as owned by the ubuntu user that I use to login to the desktop.

sudo apt install davfs2

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/BRICK

sudoedit /etc/davfs2/secrets
      /mnt/BRICK [email protected] 8e0e052e-7beb-4e35-bf8d-45e9d69aceaf

sudoedit /etc/fstab
      https://brick.novos.be/remote.php/dav/files/[email protected]/ /mnt/BRICK davfs _netdev,user,uid=ubuntu,gid=ubuntu 0 0

Thank you, i tried another tutorial first (The System entered the recovery mode before) but this "tutorial" works without issues :D

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @Xenic said:

@yoursunny said:

@dosai said:
    has anyone successfully mounted nextcloud using webdav?

I set a system-wide mount for WebDAV.
    All files would show up as owned by the ubuntu user that I use to login to the desktop.

sudo apt install davfs2

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/BRICK

sudoedit /etc/davfs2/secrets
      /mnt/BRICK [email protected] 8e0e052e-7beb-4e35-bf8d-45e9d69aceaf

sudoedit /etc/fstab
      https://brick.novos.be/remote.php/dav/files/[email protected]/ /mnt/BRICK davfs _netdev,user,uid=ubuntu,gid=ubuntu 0 0

Thank you, i tried another tutorial first (The System entered the recovery mode before) but this "tutorial" works without issues :D

I'm guessing (not sure), if you reboot - your machine will go to rescue mode since you have altered fstab. Because it happened to me.