Changing domain.com/cpanel

bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

When using cPanel shared, or reseller hosting, is it possible, as a user/customer, to disable, or change the login through:
domain.com/cpanel

I have figured out how to disable cpanel.domain.com, but not the /cpanel

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

Comments

• XsltelXsltel Hosting Provider

your host provider will need to disable proxying that sub directory from tweak settings.
    I doubt its possible to override that in .htaccess

Xsltel OU | A One-man show powered by 250 grams of brain
    Offering reliable hosting services, Server management since 2011 and free cPanel hosting since 2020

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Xsltel said:
    your host provider will need to disable proxying that sub directory from tweak settings.
    I doubt its possible to override that in .htaccess

Yes - .htaccess from user's cPanel account doesn't help.
    Is that a normal thing to ask the provider?
    Can it be done on a per-customer level?

I would expect it to require a server restart at least.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

You have to talk to the provider if its only for one or a few domains,
    https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/possible-to-disable-domain-com-cpanel-for-client.468861/

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• XsltelXsltel Hosting Provider

actually after further checking I don't see an option to disable that from tweak settings. I mixed that with subdomain in my first reply.

however its possible to achieve that by these commands
    cp /var/cpanel/templates/apache2_4/ea4_main.default /var/cpanel/templates/apache2_4/ea4_main.local

then editing the new file
    /var/cpanel/templates/apache2_4/ea4_main.local

and finding and commenting these lines
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?controlpanel/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/redirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?cpanel/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/redirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?kpanel/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/redirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?securecontrolpanel/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/sredirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?securecpanel/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/sredirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?securewhm/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/swhmredirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?webmail$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/wredirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?webmail/ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/wredirect.cgi
    ScriptAliasMatch ^/?whm/?$ /usr/local/cpanel/cgi-sys/whmredirect.cgi

then
    /scripts/rebuildhttpdconf
    /scripts/restartsrv_httpd

if someone need to do it on their cPanel server

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Abdullah

Xsltel OU | A One-man show powered by 250 grams of brain
    Offering reliable hosting services, Server management since 2011 and free cPanel hosting since 2020

• If you're using Cloudflare, you can do it using their page rules.
    For example: domain.tld/cpanel -> domain.tld.
    Though if you're on the free plan, you won't have enough rules if you'd like to redirect all cPanel-related URLs (/cpanel, /whm, /webmail, :2083, :2087, :2096, ...)

@Naix said:
    If you're using Cloudflare, you can do it using their page rules.
    Though if you're on the free plan, you won't have enough rules if you'd like to redirect all cPanel-related URLs (/cpanel, /whm, /webmail, :2083, :2087, :2096, ...)

How much of a "hacking" risk does leaving those available pose?

A friend got warned about these for their website, and asked me if it could be blocked somehow.
    I suppose a good, strong password, with any decent provider (that blocks 1000 tries per minute) should suffice. Am I wrong?

• edited February 2021

@bikegremlin said:

@Naix said:
    If you're using Cloudflare, you can do it using their page rules.

How much of a "hacking" risk does leaving those available pose?

A friend got warned about these for their website, and asked me if it could be blocked somehow.
    I suppose a good, strong password, with any decent provider (that blocks 1000 tries per minute) should suffice. Am I wrong?

Not much risk I think and yes you're right, that should be enough.
    You could also enable 2FA.
    When I attempted to do this, I was concerned about L4 DDoS attacks to the cPanel server, so I wanted to try and make it a bit harder to get the server IP.
    I gave up when I found out that there are many URLs and ports to try to redirect/hide.

edited February 2021

From what I could tell, when using Cloudflare, you can't get the server's IP, even when you are redirected to domain.com/cpanel.

Of course, whm.domain.com, cpanel.domain.com etc. are disabled (aren't resolved through DNS), and mail.domain.com is not on the website's hosting server.

2FA is a huge hassle, and not sure if I'm too naive, but I'm not a big fan of that. I understand it makes unauthorized access exponentially more difficult.

Thanked by (1)Naix