All Things WordPress Discussions

Comments

• @bikegremlin said:
    AIO was very limited in its free version when I last tried it - but that was 6 years ago, so take this with a bucket of salt.
    Pro version was praised by some developers I consider to be very good.

I've given up on Yoast since their indexables blunder.
    Considered Rank Math, but stuff like this got me a bit weary.
    What tipped the scales was praises from the devs I trust in favour of The SEO Framework.
    The free version + free options given by their extensions manager do all you need - technically.
    If you need help writing content, keyword analysis is provided only in pro version, so in that case I'd consider paying, or using Yoast, at least with the first 100 or so articles, until you get the hang of it (Yoast offers basic, limited keyword analysis in their free tier).

EDIT: to avoid any misunderstanding - I'm not paid, nor in any way affiliated with TSF. It's just like MXroute when it comes to emails, and this forum when it comes to hosting-related forums - it's my choice, based on all the info available, and all the stuff I've tried so far. Neither is perfect, it's just "the least bad" choice for me. Nothing more, nothing less. (OK... LES is perfect! :) )

I'm using AIOSEO and I found that since version 4, they do big upgrade to their program, not as sophisticated as YOAST (BLOATWARE), but it is good for my needs.

I will try to test Rank Math, it offers simpler interface than AIOSEO.

• @vyas said:

If you need help writing content, keyword analysis is provided only in pro version

True, but I would not trust a SEO plugin to do that.

There are a different tools for keyword search. Most SEO plugins for WP help in one or more of the following:
    a. Tips for Optimizing existing text
    b. Suggesting best practices from SEO POV
    c. Identifying broken links etc.
    d. Duplicate content if any

SEO Plugin is very useful for non Pro Content Writer like me.

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@flips Are you still happy with LiveCanvas mate? Considering grabbing it while the discount lasts :)

• @Ympker said:
    @flips Are you still happy with LiveCanvas mate? Considering grabbing it while the discount lasts :)

Yes, I find it useful. Not sure I'd pay the full price, but it's worth the discounted price!
    There also stuff to discover, that I haven't dug into, yet. For me the possibility to edit css and html at the various levels are very useful... :)
    Considering using it as a page builder for some static sites. (Export the stuff.)

Thanked by (1)Ympker
    edited February 2021

@flips said:

@Ympker said:

Yes, I find it useful. Not sure I'd pay the full price, but it's worth the discounted price!
    There also stuff to discover, that I haven't dug into, yet. For me the possibility to edit css and html at the various levels are very useful... :)
    Considering using it as a page builder for some static sites. (Export the stuff.)

Sounds good :) Thanks for the headsup! Gonna watch some more videos, then decide. Yesterday, I also tried to just add HTML code to WP using the Gutenberg "HTML Block" with inline CSS to see how far that can go.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Ympker said:

@flips said:

@Ympker said:

Sounds good :) Thanks for the headsup! Gonna watch some more videos, then decide. Yesterday, I also tried to just add HTML code to WP using the Gutenberg "HTML Block" with inline CSS to see how far that can go.

Inline CSS leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side...

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @flips said:

@Ympker said:

https://wpastra.com/gutenberg-templates/

https://gutenberghub.com/introducing-gutenberg-templates-library/

• Hm, I guess I should give Gutenverg another try ... (Haven't used it much, usually just activate the classic editor.)

Also testing out Caldera Forms. (Needed a form with conditional email logic.) Looks like it works. :)

• @bikegremlin said: Inline CSS leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side...

True, try to keep CSS in global location :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@flips said:

@Ympker said:

Inline CSS leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to the dark side...

True. Could also wpenqueue my stylesheet for HTML blocks.

@vyas said:

@flips said:

@Ympker said:

https://wpastra.com/gutenberg-templates/

https://gutenberghub.com/introducing-gutenberg-templates-library/

Definitely good to see Gutenberg improving :)

• @Ympker said:
    Gonna watch some more videos, then decide.

This one gave a quick tour: :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker
  • wphive .com

The problem with WordPress.org repository

Finding helpful plugins is tough.
    Not enough insights. It is not possible to compare plugins.

How WP Hive is Solving the Problem

Easily discover new plugins or the popular ones with relevant filters.
    Compare plugins side by side, just like you do for phones.

There is also plugin performance and quality checking.

@verd said:
    wphive .com

The problem with WordPress.org repository

Finding helpful plugins is tough.
    Not enough insights. It is not possible to compare plugins.

How WP Hive is Solving the Problem

Easily discover new plugins or the popular ones with relevant filters.
    Compare plugins side by side, just like you do for phones.

There is also plugin performance and quality checking.

WPHive is useful for reference sometimes. I use it ever so often.

• @Ympker said:

I use it to compare similar plugins and decide which one I will use.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@verd said:

@Ympker said:

I use it to compare similar plugins and decide which one I will use.

This for sure :)

• Elementor to increase pricing and introduce new price points.

As per mail received from them

What’s staying the same?
    All current users with an active Pro subscription keep the same terms for that subscription.
    Personal and Plus plans are not changing in terms of price and service. They will be renamed Essential and Advanced respectively.

What’s changing?
    Expert plans, purchased after March 9th for $199 / year, will now support up to 25 sites. 
    We want to give everyone a chance to get in on the current Expert plan ($199 / year for 1,000 sites) before it is discontinued - so users who wish to purchase this plan have the opportunity to do so before March 9th - purchase here.

What’s new?
    Two new plans designed for bigger teams and users with a larger client base - Studio ($499 / year for 100 sites), and Agency ($999 / year for 1000 sites)
    New plans will have access to VIP support (24/7 chat and team access), tailor-made, relevant content and the ability to open a profile on our Experts network.
    We are continuing to make significant improvements to our Premium support (relevant to Essential, Advanced, and Expert plans) response and resolution time. This year we aim to double our support team again, as we did in 2020.

These changes will help us to continue to offer you the best product whatever the size of your business, while ensuring that the level of service matches. 

Learn more about our new subscription structure, benefits and future plans. 

They want more money. Makes sense. :)

I've made a step-by-step tutorial for website cloning, or migration, using the free version of the All-in-One WP Migration plugin:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/19100/all-in-one-wp-migration/

@Ympker came up with the idea, I just tested it, made a more strictly structured procedure (so I can do it anytime, with half the brain on the cat-pics topic), and took some screen-shots. :)

Thanked by (2)Ympker verd

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member

@bikegremlin said:
    They want more money. Makes sense. :)

I've made a step-by-step tutorial for website cloning, or migration, using the free version of the All-in-One WP Migration plugin:
    https://io.bikegremlin.com/19100/all-in-one-wp-migration/

@Ympker came up with the idea, I just tested it, made a more strictly structured procedure (so I can do it anytime, with half the brain on the cat-pics topic), and took some screen-shots. :)

Nice write-up mate :) Yeah, I have cloned/migrated many sites flawlessly using the free version. At some point I was like "heck, why not give them something back for the great plugin they offer and speed up the workflow". Ended up purchasing the Unlimited Extension for a one-time fee. Can't complain. For backups I still use Updraft Plus (free) since I like it a bit more in that regard.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

I've moved my cycling website to a UK server. Any chance of US/Canada, and Australia based guys to click on a few pages and let me know if it has any problems loading?

Don't really care about split-seconds, as long as it loads "normally," not draggingly slow.

Thanks in advance for any feedback. The link:
    https://bike.bikegremlin.com/

@bikegremlin said:
    I've moved my cycling website to a UK server. Any chance of US/Canada, and Australia based guys to click on a few pages and let me know if it has any problems loading?

Don't really care about split-seconds, as long as it loads "normally," not draggingly slow.

I mean, Crunchyroll tells me I am in the US, Netflix thinks I am in the UK and Canada is only a click away with the VPN of choice :P Jk, can only offer clicks from Spain. 5$/click for seo traffic :)

@Ympker said:

@bikegremlin said:

I mean, Crunchyroll tells me I am in the US, Netflix thinks I am in the UK and Canada is only a click away with the VPN of choice :P Jk, can only offer clicks from Spain. 5$/click for seo traffic :)

My (subjective) impression:
    While it was on a US server, my connection to it was noticeably slower, compared to the UK server based website version in my native (identical in terms of everything, but language).

Now that it's been moved, when I use a "US VPN connection," and compare it to a "UK VPN connection," or no VPN at all, I don't see nearly as much difference.

So I suppose feedback from "real people" would be helpful.
    Again - not chasing 0.5 s page load times, as long as it seems to "load normally," I'm happy. :)

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Hmm - noticed a strange thing - seems to have started about 10 days ago, and is domain-wide:

All the websites on my domain (bikegremlin.com) show basically zero visitors in Google Analytics, since the start of this February.

Hadn't changed anything with the tags, or plugins.

I use AMP, but the tracking code is added for AMP as well.

Websites on other domains aren't affected.

When I browse my website, Google analytics shows the pages I open in the "Active users" section (if I disable the AdBlocker, of course).

I tried using "incognito" browser mode with a VPN. Googling that way still shows all my pages in search results.

Does anyone have an idea what could be causing this?

• vyasvyas OG
    edited February 2021

@Ympker said:
    Also inteteresting for fans of Material design :)

https://wordpress.org/themes/material-design-google/

Looks interesting. I checked out a few other themes as well - but keep coming back to GeneratePress. :-)
    wp-Meliora also looks interesting among the new lot.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

Looks interesting. I checked out a few other themes as well - but keep coming back to GeneratePress. :-)

I think I need to give Generatepress a try. Was it free or payto?

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

That annoying guy who just "steps" into the conversation: =)

GeneratePress is like most other themes available on wp.org:
    You get the basic functionality for free, but you need to pay for having all the available options using just mouse-clicks.
    Fortunately, it is very well documented, support is really excellent, so you can do most stuff with your custom code using a child theme.

For web-shops, I prefer Ocean WP, for all else - GeneratePress.

Thanked by (2)Ympker vyas

• Hi, does anyone know why using Cloudflare for one whole site is much more slower than using Cloudflare only for the images?

Do I configure it wrong? Please share your thoughts.

Lazyload seems not working with Cloudflare.

• @bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

You get the basic functionality for free, but you need to pay for having all the available options using just mouse-clicks.
    Fortunately, it is very well documented, support is really excellent, so you can do most stuff with your custom code using a child theme.

You may continue to annoy. Adds to others' learning!
    (I do not have answer to the query you posted reg google analytics. Can only think of older version )

@Ympker

GeneratePress free version is good enough, used with generateblocks it is adequate for most sites. During BF I picked up the paid version (not of generatebocks though) - customization options are slightly better. But nothing that can be achieved by child themes.

For 50 US Dollars, no cap on number of sites where the theme can be used. One of the better deals out there.
    I get pagespeed of 92 mobile, without much optimization, Once I tweak images, might get 95 plus. Cannot complain on that count.

Unde rthe new Accessibility and other guidelines proposed by google - to be implemented in May: here are my rankings:
    https://lighthouse-dot-webdotdevsite.appspot.com//lh/html?url=https://amarvyas.in

Cannot complain at all.

Thanked by (2)bikegremlin Ympker
    edited February 2021

@vyas said:

@bikegremlin said:

@Ympker said:

@vyas said:

@Ympker said:

You may continue to annoy. Adds to others' learning!
    (I do not have answer to the query you posted reg google analytics. Can only think of older version )

@Ympker

GeneratePress free version is good enough, used with generateblocks it is adequate for most sites. During BF I picked up the paid version (not of generatebocks though) - customization options are slightly better. But nothing that can be achieved by child themes.

For 50 US Dollars, no cap on number of sites where the theme can be used. One of the better deals out there.
    I get pagespeed of 92 mobile, without much optimization, Once I tweak images, might get 95 plus. Cannot complain on that count.

Unde rthe new Accessibility and other guidelines proposed by google - to be implemented in May: here are my rankings:
    https://lighthouse-dot-webdotdevsite.appspot.com//lh/html?url=https://amarvyas.in

Cannot complain at all.

Thanks for the feedback? Only paid version I see is 59$/year or 259$ Lifetime https://generatepress.com/premium/

I realize there was a BF discount but maybe you were referring to another paid version alltogether? :)

Sounds good though! Might have a spin :)

@bikegremlin sorry, no idea about that either, mate. Maybe Google analytics and gdpr caused them to not collect any more data? Anyway, no idea, really :/

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin