The time has come - LES new admin

Comments

• I could ask the same to you. You were PMSing hard on LET.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• NekkiNekki OG
    edited February 2021

@deank said:
    I could ask the same to you. You were PMSing hard on LET.

I’ve thought about it a lot, an awful lot, and that’s why I went away for quite a while. I went back to LET to blow off a little bit of steam, I enjoyed it, that itch is scratched for now. Not sure what you mean by PMSing though?

And you?

• I do simply what I do.

• NekkiNekki OG
    edited February 2021

@deank said:
    I do simply what I do.

I’m sure it’s not as simple as that, but I respect your right to privacy.

• Again, I could say the same to you.

• @deank said:
    Again, I could say the same to you.

You’re a very interesting person.

• Oh, boy. Again, I could say the same to you.

Though I wouldn't say I am an interesting person. I am a dick, end of.

• @deank said:
    Oh, boy. Again, I could say the same to you.

Though I wouldn't say I am an interesting person. I am a dick, end of.

Very few people who refer to themselves as dicks are actually dicks.

At this stage, we should probably get a room.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • Therefore, the end is nigh.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

It might be interesting and helpful if both potential moderators and many community members commented (maybe in a different thread) about the changes they might consider for LES. . . .

For example, should steps be taken to increase this site's share of the low end discussion market? If yes, how could we increase our market share?

Should more people (everybody?) have access to site statistics. When I write something I only get feedback when Ant tells me about page views.

Should the $7 limit be raised?

How should people be kept informed of the current status of LES' web development projects? Should the LES source code repository be open? What about LES financial reports?

I think @AnthonySmith has been, is, and will be doing a really great job! Without implying any criticism of Ant, I wonder whether we all might benefit from further discussion of policy, strategy, and tactics.

I seem to recall a "What changes would you like to see in LES?" thread awhile back. I wish I remembered better. Maybe I should go try to find that thread.

Thanks, everybody! :)

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• williewillie OG
    edited February 2021

If this site actually produces enough revenue to sneeze at, I'd like to see it spent on developing hosting software such as a free billing panel. The site would then also become the de facto community support and bug tracking platform for the software, and that would attract more hosts, who would put up more offers and bring in more users, etc. I'd rather keep price limits and stuff where they are now. Does WHMCS really have no competition? I have no objection to crushing LET, but crushing WHM/Cpanel seems more important.

Thanked by (1)uptime
  • @Not_Oles said:
    It might be interesting and helpful if both potential moderators and many community members commented (maybe in a different thread) about the changes they might consider for LES. . . .

For example, should steps be taken to increase this site's share of the low end discussion market? If yes, how could we increase our market share?

Probably a part of the admin vetting process, but not much for a mods?

Should more people (everybody?) have access to site statistics. When I write something I only get feedback when Ant tells me about page views.

I think that's is a bad idea.

Should the $7 limit be raised?

I think that defeats the "Lowend Spirit".

How should people be kept informed of the current status of LES' web development projects?

Agreed! Having a public "status/commit" section would be dope.

Should the LES source code repository be open?

It is: https://vanillaforums.com/en/software/

What about LES financial reports?

Unless LES is a community funded business/corporation, most likely that is none of anyones business?

• @willie i also think your a good leader, maybe a mod or standby admin would be to have you in.
    @AnthonySmith MAYBE have 2 admins so they can be best friends :)

• cociucociu OG
    edited February 2021

@FAT32 (i am sure will grow this at maximum what this forum can have)
    @Jarland ---always was correct
    @Nekki

Not in a preference order , any of this guys i am sure will do the best.

Thanked by (1)jarland
  • @Nekki said: I believe he would inject

Much LOVE for sure :) and many sisters.

• cociu's nomination of @Nakki should be ignored because he proposed to him.

Thanked by (1)cociu

• @deank said: because he proposed to him.

i wish this ... but our relation is poor (no money) so we cannot afford ...

• I nominate: @AnthonySmith
    Why: I don't like the idea of a new owner/admin.

• I nominate: @Mason
    Why: From lurking and following him a lot when he was active on LET, to working as a fellow admin alongside him on HB/HT, to meeting him and knowing him IRL. Mason is an incredible person, and I know that he would be able to bring incredible things to this forum if given the opportunity. I think there have been some other excellent nominations, but I don't think I could give anybody else quite the same praise as I have given Mason.

Maybe @WSS though :wink:

Thanked by (3)vyas Mason vimalware
  • @yoursunny and @seriesn thanks for the kind words and thoughts but I will respectfully pass. Mod role is a probable but admin role requires some juju that Some other great nominees may be able to deliver.

• edited February 2021

i'm nominating

@havoc
    @Mason
    @mikho

all of them are active here (exclusively ?) , has a great active community thread [1] [2] [3], all of them are very knowledgeable.

this LES community is growing very well and i would like to mention this people too who i think deserve my nomination for the same reason above : @Lee @Falzo @vyas @Not_Oles @Ympker

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

Wowee, thanks for all the nominations, support, and kind words guys! I sincerely appreciate it. Been eyeing this thread for awhile while trying to collect my thoughts on the subject so my motivations, desires, and thoughts on the matter are 100% clear to everyone. Not intending to write a book here, but I tend to be long winded at times.

I knew this thread was coming at some point in the future, but it still hit me like a ton of bricks seeing it posted this morning and knowing now that Ant's leadership role in LES is soon coming to an end. I've been active on the big three low end forums for the past 5 years now. I served as a mod on LET with Ant for a year or two until I jumped ship when he stepped down. My involvement over there has dwindled down to just answering the occasional PM. I served as an admin on HT/HB since it was first started up a few years ago until recently due to a falling out with Jar (all good, shit happens, the world keeps on turning). So now LES is my last playground, my last safe haven. It took awhile for this place to go from simply being an alternative to LET, to being somewhere I'd rather be. A combination of things won me over -- the atmosphere, the company, Ant's drive to keep this place evolving, it all resonated with me and has made me feel right at home.

With that said, I have a vested interest in seeing this place continue to be the best it can be and reach new heights. I also realize the huge weight that will placed on whomever's shoulder takes this place over. @Lee really put that into better words than I can myself -

Anyone can be a caretaker admin and if that is what the site needs then it makes the decision easy, pick virtually anyone.

If people want more, better, different and the forum to survive beyond a few regular contributions then it needs to be someone that can not only bring that but commit to delivering. That needs to be someone who has time to offer.

The time commitment is really the biggest factor that has me a bit uneasy. After all, this hosting stuff is simply a hobby for me -- one that I'm passionate about, but a hobby nonetheless. My day job is not hosting related in the slightest. Admin, mod, or member, this activity comes behind other priorities on my mind, such as, kicking ass at my job, keeping a roof over my family's head, and spending copious amounts of time with my wife and kid (soon to be kids later this summer). That's not to say that I wouldn't give it my all if I was selected to take the helm, just that Ant is leaving behind some massive shoes to fill and I know I wouldn't be able to do it alone.

My approach (if elected) would be to form a leadership team, where as a group we'd discuss what direction to take the forum and divvy up the workload and responsibilities to get us there. Any large decisions impacting the users of LES or the site itself would be put up for vote within the team rather than being at the sole discretion of a single individual. I'd make every effort to continue along the path Ant has set LES on and would hope he stays on as a "senior advisor" of sorts to bounce ideas off of from time to time.

Anyways, there's been many great names put forward in this thread for consideration, all of which I'd be happy to back 100%. And I'm honored to be one of them :) Cheers!

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• @Mason said:
    Wowee, thanks for all the nominations, support, and kind words guys! I sincerely appreciate it. Been eyeing this thread for awhile while trying to collect my thoughts on the subject so my motivations, desires, and thoughts on the matter are 100% clear to everyone. Not intending to write a book here, but I tend to be long winded at times.

I knew this thread was coming at some point in the future, but it still hit me like a ton of bricks seeing it posted this morning and knowing now that Ant's leadership role in LES is soon coming to an end. I've been active on the big three low end forums for the past 5 years now. I served as a mod on LET with Ant for a year or two until I jumped ship when he stepped down. My involvement over there has dwindled down to just answering the occasional PM. I served as an admin on HT/HB since it was first started up a few years ago until recently due to a falling out with Jar (all good, shit happens, the world keeps on turning). So now LES is my last playground, my last safe haven. It took awhile for this place to go from simply being an alternative to LET, to being somewhere I'd rather be. A combination of things won me over -- the atmosphere, the company, Ant's drive to keep this place evolving, it all resonated with me and has made me feel right at home.

With that said, I have a vested interest in seeing this place continue to be the best it can be and reach new heights. I also realize the huge weight that will placed on whomever's shoulder takes this place over. @Lee really put that into better words than I can myself -

Anyone can be a caretaker admin and if that is what the site needs then it makes the decision easy, pick virtually anyone.

If people want more, better, different and the forum to survive beyond a few regular contributions then it needs to be someone that can not only bring that but commit to delivering. That needs to be someone who has time to offer.

The time commitment is really the biggest factor that has me a bit uneasy. After all, this hosting stuff is simply a hobby for me -- one that I'm passionate about, but a hobby nonetheless. My day job is not hosting related in the slightest. Admin, mod, or member, this activity comes behind other priorities on my mind, such as, kicking ass at my job, keeping a roof over my family's head, and spending copious amounts of time with my wife and kid (soon to be kids later this summer). That's not to say that I wouldn't give it my all if I was selected to take the helm, just that Ant is leaving behind some massive shoes to fill and I know I wouldn't be able to do it alone.

My approach (if elected) would be to form a leadership team, where as a group we'd discuss what direction to take the forum and divvy up the workload and responsibilities to get us there. Any large decisions impacting the users of LES or the site itself would be put up for vote within the team rather than being at the sole discretion of a single individual. I'd make every effort to continue along the path Ant has set LES on and would hope he stays on as a "senior advisor" of sorts to bounce ideas off of from time to time.

Anyways, there's been many great names put forward in this thread for consideration, all of which I'd be happy to back 100%. And I'm honored to be one of them :) Cheers!

I think it is time to stop nominating. We know who deserves this.

Mason for president!

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

Just woke up, with one eye open I just want to say you are all a massive disappointment to me, not 1 person nominates Jbiloh, not 1....

SHAKE MY HEAD.

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Just woke up, with one eye open I just want to say you are all a massive disappointment to me, not 1 person nominates Jbiloh, not 1....

SHAKE MY HEAD.

Fine, I nominate jbiloh for his vast amount of experience managing OGF for ~7 years.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@AnthonySmith said:

SHAKE MY HEAD.

how to nominate him? he's top on my list but no account here. someone please invite him. and Dustin C too. best buddies

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Not_Oles

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @AnthonySmith said:

SHAKE MY HEAD.

It’s pointless unless @jarland is also looking to transfer control of HostedBalls, so that the three pieces of the triforce can be reunited and LET returned to its former glory.

• If it was possible I would nominate an AI to run the forum. Lets bring on skynet.

My other choice is @yoursunny : well equipped to handle the situation in case skynet turns against its creators.

• @rattlecattle said:
    If it was possible I would nominate an AI to run the forum. Lets bring on skynet.

My other choice is @yoursunny : well equipped to handle the situation in case skynet turns against its creators.

How does his fine ass help us against the rise of the machines?

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@Nekki said:

@AnthonySmith said:

SHAKE MY HEAD.

It’s pointless unless @jarland is also looking to transfer control of HostedBalls, so that the three pieces of the triforce can be reunited and LET returned to its former glory.

Interesting idea, I am game. @jarland ?

Thanked by (3)Nekki Not_Oles FrankZ

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

This discussion has been closed.