Linux 5.11 is out with AMD and Intel improvements

cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

The version arrived on Sunday's Valentine's Day with only a small amount of changes from the previous seventh release candidate (RC). It's been in development since before December and brings support for Intel's Software Guard Extensions (SGX), a hardware-isolated trusted execution environment for applications to store and process secrets in enclaves.

As noted by Linux news site Phoronix, SGX support in the Linux kernel has taken years to achieve. Linux 5.11 also brings better AMD performance and power-management support for AMD's Zen-based CPUs, thanks to patches from Google engineers.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/linux-5-11-is-out-with-amd-and-intel-improvements-and-linus-torvalds-is-happy/

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

Thanked by (3)Ganonk vimalware bark

Comments

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

Which provider has upgraded their nodes to 5.11?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited February 2021

@cybertech said:

OVZ likely not in the next 5 years.
    KVM maybe
    other no idea

Proxmox uses 5.4 from Ubuntu 20.04, maybe when Ubuntu 22.04 gets released in 2022 Proxmox may bump to 5.11 or higher.
    Debian 11 this year comes with 5.10, but no idea who uses that as Node.

Thanked by (1)cybertech
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@cybertech said:

@cybertech We could put 5.11 on my AX51-NVME. Or OpenBSD current. How about it?

Thanked by (1)cybertech

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@cybertech

I just found out about https://github.com/fabianishere/pve-edge-kernel

Maybe I can do something? Dunno yet. :)

Thanked by (1)cybertech

• edited February 2021

I installed 5.11 on my proxmox a couple of days ago and it made a gigantic improvement to stability.

@Not_Oles that's the exact kernel I'm using, from that git. I'd say go for it imo.

EDIT: Linux 5.11.0-2 #1 SMP 5.11.0-2 zen2 (Thu, 18 Feb 2021 10:45:32 +0000)
    pve-manager/6.3-3/eee5f901

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

@dahartigan said:
    I installed 5.11 on my proxmox a couple of days ago and it made a gigantic improvement to stability.

@Not_Oles that's the exact kernel I'm using, from that git. I'd say go for it imo.

on a node or VPS?

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

• @cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:

on a node or VPS?

On a VPS.

Thanked by (2)cybertech Not_Oles

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

Yeah, 5.11.1-1 seems to work on a VPS. Will mess around some more on the VPS, then maybe try it on the node. Still waiting for one neighbor to say yes. He will. :)

debian@debian-kvm:~$ uname -a
    Linux debian-kvm 5.11.2-1 #1 SMP 5.11.2-1 zen2 (Fri, 26 Feb 2021 16:42:01 +0000) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    debian@debian-kvm:~$ 

• 5.11 should run fine in KVM, just at the node you may run into issues.
    I have no idea how stable the edge kernel is and how often you need to patch it.

You won't have kernel care or such.

• @Neoon said: 5.11 should run fine in KVM, just at the node you may run into issues.

It has some weird issue with freebsd guest (KVM). But besides that, pretty solid :)

Thanked by (1)dahartigan

When I previously posted yabs running on the AX101 bare metal the single core GB5 score was 1719. This was with whatever kernel was on stable Proxmox just before 5.4.98-1-pve, which seems to be what is running on the metal right now -- the kernel having been updated once a few days ago.

I ran yabs inside a KVM. The kernel in the KVM was updated to the latest Proxmox-edge-kernel, 5.11.2-1-pve. The single core score was 1736.

I will post the yabs in the official yabs thread.

Looks pretty good, but maybe I goofed somewhere. . . . :)

• The biggest improvement I noticed is the stability inside a KVM with a high vCPU count. It seems like the power management changes were the key here. IIRC changing the max cstates to 1 previously was a workaround pre-5.11, but running with defaults has been working flawlessly since upgrading to 5.11

edited February 2021

@dahartigan said:
    The biggest improvement I noticed is the stability inside a KVM with a high vCPU count. It seems like the power management changes were the key here. IIRC changing the max cstates to 1 previously was a workaround pre-5.11, but running with defaults has been working flawlessly since upgrading to 5.11

I did not notice much difference with KVM 4 core Ryzen from AlphaVPS and figured it might make more difference on the node itself.

that's coming from 5.10 though. proxmox uses 5.4 (again pointing to the node)

• @cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:
    The biggest improvement I noticed is the stability inside a KVM with a high vCPU count. It seems like the power management changes were the key here. IIRC changing the max cstates to 1 previously was a workaround pre-5.11, but running with defaults has been working flawlessly since upgrading to 5.11

I did not notice much difference with KVM 4 core Ryzen from AlphaVPS and figured it might make more difference on the node itself.

I went from the stock pve 5.4 kernel to the 5.11 and that jump solved my issues, but I suspect the newer kernel would be more noticeable for people like me who run proxmox inside a KVM, maybe less effect on bare metal? I haven't tried anything on any bare metal Ryzen so no experience to share there.

Thanked by (1)cybertech

• @seriesn said:

@Neoon said: 5.11 should run fine in KVM, just at the node you may run into issues.

It has some weird issue with freebsd guest (KVM). But besides that, pretty solid :)

No one here is using freebsd.

@dahartigan said:

@cybertech said:

@dahartigan said:

I went from the stock pve 5.4 kernel to the 5.11 and that jump solved my issues, but I suspect the newer kernel would be more noticeable for people like me who run proxmox inside a KVM, maybe less effect on bare metal? I haven't tried anything on any bare metal Ryzen so no experience to share there.

hmmm then it would make sense, less performance loss using proxmox.

Sat 27 Feb 2021 06:23:39 PM UTC

Node rebooted into 5.11.2 :)

Single core GB5 at 1673. Down slightly from 1719.

Ideas? :)

Rerunning yabs. Same setup as above, kernel 5.11.2 from fabianishere running on Hetzner AX101 bare metal. GB5 single core slightly up: first run was1673, now 1725.

Test results:

Geekbench 5 scores
    (AX101 Ryzen 9 5950X, Linux kernel 5.11.2)

Virtualization GB5 Score
    Bare metal 1725
    KVM 1454
    LXC 1489