LES Discord Server Invite. (come and shoot the sh*t)

2»

Comments

• hzrhzr OG
    edited August 2020

@Not_Oles said: Dunno whether that page is right or not, outdated or not, whatever. But I thought others might be interested to check it out.

That doesn't even begin to cover a tiny amount of what they collect. But yes, the most obvious thing is that they aren't using separate analytics endpoints, but shoving everything through a single RPC /route so you can't block analytics and allow the ability to send a message, kinda.

I worked on F/OSS (for bots) libraries back in the very early days of Discord, pre-API, etc. It's quite interesting to see it have evolved, and the additional anti-abuse and anti-spam rubbish that gets bolted on top.

@PHP_Backend said: That makes sense. I am even more glad that I "resisted" it.

rms would be proud.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@hzr said: That doesn't even begin to cover a tiny amount of what they collect.

If possible, could you please point me at a better source which has fuller coverage?

Thanks a lot for your comment. Really helpful!

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• Are we taking the thread's title to new level and shooting the sh*t to discord? :p

• TBH, I didn't even see this thread until now.

I don't mind contributing banter to a database owned by Ant. But discord is a whole another animal.

I guess I might join some time just to lurk.

Ive managed to avoid discord completely until this point. I would have no problem using it for mostly anonymous gaming groups, etc. (the founding intended purpose).

• @flips said: Someone said IRC?

Yes, where is the LES IRC?

Thanked by (2)miegl let2les
  • How about a channel on OFTC? Official web interface https://webchat.oftc.net/

Thanked by (1)flips
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer
    edited February 2021
  • seriesnseriesn OG
    edited February 2021
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

@seriesn said:

@Ympker said:
    Nvm

I mind. I am actually offended. Let me talk to your manager.

Yeah, his name is Rowan. He's the best manager:

• edited March 2021

@Mr_Tom said:

@flips said: Someone said IRC?

Yes!!! We need an IRC channel, I'm in the discord tho :)

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@SWN_Michael said:

@Mr_Tom said:

@flips said: Someone said IRC?

Yes!!! We need an IRC channel, I'm in the discord tho :)

There is still the old unofficial LES channel on IRC. I think @Nyr is the current owner of that channel.
    Don't ask me for the connection details, I honestly don't remember :confused:

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• I'd be willing to run a community RocketChat if anyone is interested

• NyrNyr OG
    edited March 2021

@mikho said: There is still the old unofficial LES channel on IRC. I think @Nyr is the current owner of that channel.

It is very unlikely as I have been away from Freenode for years at this point, so most likely I do not even own my nickname at this point.

In the very rare case that I am still the owner, I have my old credentials available and am willing to transfer the channel to a more senior member.

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@Nyr said:

@mikho said: There is still the old unofficial LES channel on IRC. I think @Nyr is the current owner of that channel.

It is very unlikely as I have been away from Freenode for years at this point, so most likely I do not even own my nickname at this point.

In the very rare case that I am still the owner, I have my old credentials available and am willing to transfer the channel to a more senior member.

The LES channel was my last connection with IRC.
    In the spirit of this community, Less is More! I’d rather stick with one chat alternative and one forum alternative. Otherwise we might end up with a gazzilion alternatives and with only a handful users in each.

For now, Discord is the chat alternative.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said: In the spirit of this community, Less is More! I’d rather stick with one chat alternative and one forum alternative. Otherwise we might end up with a gazzilion alternatives and with only a handful users in each.

Fully agree.

Thanked by (2)mikho Wolveix
  • Assuming the old LES IRC was #les then it's still registered but ChanServ says owner is "freenode-placeholder-account" which I've noticed on other channels when the person who registered it no longer has a registered Nick.

Just incase anyone was interested :)

Thanked by (2)mikho Not_Oles
  • ChrisMillerChrisMiller Hosting ProviderOG
    edited March 2021

Prepare your sphincters!

ChrisM just showed up! Today at 3:41 PM

Thanked by (2)mikho seriesn