OVH SBG Offline - SBG2 Completely Destroyed

Comments

• Monitoring system clearly not functioning either - http://status.ovh.com/vms/index_sbg2.html

Thanked by (1)willie
  • MasonMason AdministratorOG
    Thanked by (1)willie

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

• I'm glad everyone at the scene is ok and that all the users have good backups.

Thanked by (2)rajprakash james50a
  • AsimAsim OGServices Provider

Woah!!! thats massive

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

WoW, you just know someone has already submitted an SLA claim for a $2 service

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

the building seems badly burnt, probably gonna take a while.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:

That video doesn't show the scale of destroyed really well. This earlier image maybe does show the scale a bit better!

Thanked by (1)willie
  • Never heard of OVH SGB or SGB2.

Must be new.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• NeoonNeoon OG
    edited March 2021
  • webmashwebmash Services Provider

Yikes .. a whole DC gone! :#

• Didn't they have a fire as well a couple of years ago? I can't find the news article anymore.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@Groentjuh said:

@cybertech said:

That video doesn't show the scale of destroyed really well. This earlier image maybe does show the scale a bit better!

this is really not good. i've always wanted to try a vps in SBG but maybe not possible anymore.

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@Freek said:
    Didn't they have a fire as well a couple of years ago? I can't find the news article anymore.

If memory serves me, there was a fire on a building close-by. They talked about adding (or already having added) some external fire-protection plates to prevent such incidents from putting them in danger.
    Can't find the article neither. :(

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

Was anyone hurt?
    Yes, I see they said "Everyone is safe," but that's not the same.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• Is it me, or even despite the fire, this OVH SGB2 datacenter looks like ... just a bunch of containers in Strasbourg? :o
    OVH SGB2 datacenter fire burnt
    OVH Strasbourg datacenter fire containers

Thanked by (3)someTom imok lentro
  • Night photos look scary - the OVH cloud datacentre turned into a big black cloud...
    OVH datacentre fire cloud

Thanked by (1)Janevski
  • YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Damn.. That escalated quickly.

• edited March 2021

@DataRecovery said:
    Is it me, or even despite the fire, this OVH SGB2 datacenter looks like ... just a bunch of containers in Strasbourg? :o

This image probably shows what SGB1, SGB2 and SGB3 are best.

No, OVH SGB2 is that tower that burned. SGB2 had the capacity to house ~30000 servers.

SGB1 is the bunch/two rows of containers in the foreground; some of those containers are damaged/burned as well hence the SGB1 is damaged. Those containers have the capacity to ~12000 servers.

The tower next to the right is SGB3. This tower also has the capacity to house ~30000 servers.

The bunch of containers (if they are still there) to the right/north of the SGB3 tower is SGB4. Like SGB1, those containers have the capacity of ~12000 servers.

But weren't SGB1 and SGB4 going to be decommissioned and their servers moved to SGB3.

Oh and more pictures!

Thanked by (2)DataRecovery lentro
  • It's Strasbourg and not Strasgourb.

For domain registrations, create an account at Dynadot (ref) and spend $9.99 within 48 hours to receive $5 DynaDollars!
    Looking for cost-effective Managed/Anycast/DDoS-Protected/Geo DNS Services? Try ClouDNS (aff).

• Those new Intel CPUs running real hot

Thanked by (1)james50a
  • @bikegremlin said:
    If memory serves me, there was a fire on a building close-by. They talked about adding (or already having added) some external fire-protection plates to prevent such incidents from putting them in danger.
    Can't find the article neither. :(

I'm not sure if I am thinking of a different incident than you are, but I remember there was a fire in a building next to one of Scaleway / Online.net's datacenters 2 years ago: https://blog.scaleway.com/saint-ouen-laumone-fire-incident-security-measures-allow-dc5-to-escape-the-disaster/ .

• @corbpie said:
    Those new Intel CPUs running real hot

Or they got a lp0 on fire error.
    Or someone ran a "halt and catch fire" instruction.
    And let's not forget about all those hotspares...

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @Groentjuh said:

@DataRecovery said:
    Is it me, or even despite the fire, this OVH SGB2 datacenter looks like ... just a bunch of containers in Strasbourg? :o

No, OVH SGB2 is that tower that burned. SGB2 had the capacity to house ~30000 servers.

SGB1 is the bunch/two rows of containers in the foreground; some of those containers are damaged/burned as well hence the SGB1 is damaged. Those containers have the capacity to ~12000 servers.

The tower next to the right is SGB3. This tower also has the capacity to house ~30000 servers.

The bunch of containers (if they are still there) to the right/north of the SGB3 tower is SGB4. Like SGB1, those containers have the capacity of ~12000 servers.

But weren't SGB1 and SGB4 going to be decommissioned and their servers moved to SGB3.

Oh and more pictures!

looks like the separation (fire-protection?) between SBG2 and SBG3 might have done its job and withhold quite some damage.

obviously doesn't say anything about cabling for network and power. I wouldn't expect to see anything out of SBG getting up and running today. if they get lucky and are even allowed to enter the area, maybe they can setup some emergency cabling in the next few days.

my condolences to everyone affected, but please already set your expectations straight... this is not only severe but catastrophic. do not rely on any hopes that anything from SBG2 is recoverable. set up your service from backups (or scratch if you have none) in some other DCs. do not wait for nothing. ?‍♂️

• edited March 2021

@Groentjuh said:

@DataRecovery said:

Mein Gott!
    Had no idea on how the famous OVH looks in real life. I'm not in France, but we also have former industrial areas, which are being transformed into data centers.
    But even here I neither seen, nor imagined anything like that.

• Fire from Kernel 5.11 effect ?

• isunbejo said:
    Fire from Kernel 5.11 effect ?

Someone pushed their ryzen to 6GHz

• @Falzo said: set up your service from backups (or scratch if you have none)

Now twitter, at least the responses to OVH Cloud CEO's tweet, are on fire.
    People say they do not have any data recovery plan:
    OVH data recovery plan cloud fire

And this is (supposedly) "a leading platform for collecting national and international news", at least according to google translate.

Now, when the fire is over, some even decided the timing is perfect to activate the disaster recovery plan:
    OVH disaster recovery plan fire

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@Falzo said: looks like the separation (fire-protection?) between SBG2 and SBG3 might have done its job and withhold quite some damage.

My thinking was more "damn those firefighter were on point in preventing spread"...those things are really close together