Static Websites

edited March 2021 in General

I have spent my whole life building websites in WordPress however I would like to learn how to build a static website. I have a copy of Bootstrap Studio. I have looked at things like Hugo, Jekyll, Hexo. I think I'll host it on my site on Bunny.net or Cloudflare pages.

• Should I use a framework, if so which one?
  • Should start with a template?
  • Where should I host it?

Comments

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

@Aaron said: Should I use a framework, if so which one?
    Should start with a template?

Both depend on your skill level and what you want to get out of it, I guess. Starting from scratch might take longer but you might learn a few more things and develop your skills more. Using a template might be a quicker way to get straight on it.

I like Bootstrap.

Where should I host it?

I couldn't possibly comment. :smiley:

Thanked by (1)AaronSS
  • SmallWeb is the way to go! Can’t be wrong.

Thanked by (2)AaronSS MichaelCee

This space intentionally left blank

• edited March 2021

@SmallWeb said: I couldn't possibly comment.

Already a customer :p

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee
  • I'd say Grav CMS is pretty much a static website. It's a flat file CMS. It does require PHP but pretty sure all webhosts have that nowadays.

♻ Amitz day is October 21.
    ♻ Join Nigh sect by adopting my avatar. Let us spread the joys of the end.

• iandkiandk Hosting ProviderOG

@deank said:
    I'd say Grav CMS is pretty much a static website. It's a flat file CMS. It does require PHP but pretty sure all webhosts have that nowadays.

It's a file based CMS but has nothing to do with a static page.

@Aaron have a look at JAMStack

AMD EPYC / NVMe / 10GBPs KVM in Frankfurt - https://v6node.com
    Looking for an unbeatable AMD EPYC Baremetal Server in Frankfurt? Drop me a PM

• Or: Build the site in WordPress, export as a completely static site :sunglasses:

https://github.com/leonstafford/wp2static

Thanked by (2)chimichurri kkrajk

🦍🍌

• I’m really drawn to the idea of just making a commit and having the site updated

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • For pure static html builds I like Bootstrap. Theres loads of templates, tutorials, code blocks, etc to get you started and it’s really easy to learn.

• I’m really confused how to start with Bootstrap Studio. Anyone have a guide? I download a template but I can’t figure out how to get that imported in

• deankdeank OG
    edited March 2021

It's good that you are even thinking of moving away from Wordpress.

It helps to move out of your comfort zone once in a while.

Thanked by (1)AaronSS

• YmpkerYmpker OGContent Writer

Mobirise is a great tool for building static websites and it is free :)

• edited March 2021
  • @Ympker said:

Mobirise is far from free. They say free but all the themes except the default one have to be purchased.
    Also, when using their web forms, they route the data through their relay service, so your site visitor data is being captured by them.
    I've also found that it is quite restrictive, like you cant have a video background that is not hosted on youtube or vimeo which is plain stupid.

edited March 2021

@fragpic said:

@Ympker said:

Mobirise is far from free. They say free but all the themes except the default one have to be purchased.
    Also, when using their web forms, they route the data through their relay service, so your site visitor data is being captured by them.
    I've also found that it is quite restrictive, like you cant have a video background that is not hosted on youtube or vimeo which is plain stupid.

For what it's worth, I think it offers a lot for free. Lots of free blocks and just the themes and plugins are paid content. @SmallWeb recently used them for their website iirc :)

Since Mobirise sites are built with HTML&CSS, you sure can have a video bg that is not vimeo/yt. Just fire up sublime text or you favourite code editor (or Mobirise's) and dip in the code.
    It does not force you to do everything in their app. I usually use it to quickly sketch a layout then import to Pinegrow and edit/adjust with PG and manual coding. Hearing about the relay form part sucks, though.

@Aaron give it a try before judging mate :) It is fairly good, even the free content. Like I said, @SmallWeb built their site with it iirc.

• Can't expect anyone to give something entirely for free. There is always a catch, mate.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Hi @Aaron!

For something more simplified than Bootstrap, you might check this website and the additional CSS code for images posted by pmlnr in the HN discussion.

I used these to make my former srvr.ovh website, which you still can see on archive.org. It got 100 on Pagespeed insights.

Best wishes from Mexico!

Thanked by (1)MichaelCee

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

• I use shuffle.dev personally, they have four css framework in total. But I believe there are cheaper and better option in the market.

Thanked by (1)Ympker

Action and Reaction in history

• @Not_Oles said:
    Hi @Aaron!

For something more simplified than Bootstrap, you might check this website and the additional CSS code for images posted by pmlnr in the HN discussion.

I used these to make my former srvr.ovh website, which you still can see on archive.org. It got 100 on Pagespeed insights.

Hey @Not_Oles , don't be a party pooper! ;)

There's also beauty in complexity. (Well, sometimes, or rarely.) :)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

@elliotc said:
    I use shuffle.dev personally, they have four css framework in total. But I believe there are cheaper and better option in the market.

Shuffle is definitely pretty cool (had a look at it a while ago). Did they add the highly requested option to download site as HTML/CSS? I think before it was kinda locked in their project or smth?

• MichaelCeeMichaelCee OGServices Provider

Mobirise templates are also based on Bootstrap 4 :) I used only the free template/elements.

Thanked by (2)Ympker mikho
  • vyasvyas OG
    edited March 2021

In addition to Jamstack:
    You can also consider
    Publii or Brizy cloud/static output exported and hosted on shared hosting.

or Brizy cloud on Netlify.

The linking (Brizy and Netlify) process is quite a task. Good weekend project.

Finally, you can pick any template from html5up, modify to suit fit and be done with it!!

• edited March 2021

Portfolio: handwrite all the HTML.

Blog: Hexo, Hugo, Jekyll, etc. You should pick a generator written in a language you understand.
    Handwrite the theme for maximum control over the HTML. Let the generator handle converting Markdown,etc to HTML pages.

CSS: classless for simple sites (no navbar), minimal otherwise.

Hosting: Netlify.

ServerFactory aff best VPS; HostBrr aff best storage.

• Bootstrap has so many tools these days but I found myself using tailwind more these days, there are pros and cons with it but I like working with it more than Bootstrap.

Thanked by (2)Ympker Naix
  • @Aaron said:
    I’m really drawn to the idea of just making a commit and having the site updated

Maybe github pages then :open_mouth:

• There's one no one talked yet about.... and my favorite: Eleventy!
    Whatever you have in mind, nearly whatever template engine you would like to use, you'll find there! And you can host anywhere so far, Netlify, Vercel, Hostman, Render and Cloudflare of course these days.

Good luck

• @seriesn said:
    https://wordpress.org/themes/bootstrap-basic4/

The most simple effortless theme I have worked with.

Integration so smooth, you can’t tell the difference.

https://bytes.nexusbytes.com

Bootstrap basic is

Rather heavy theme at 5 MB !

The most popular ones are under 200 KB. Of course "starter sites" and plugins associated with them add to the bloat

Thanked by (1)yoursunny
  • @SmallWeb said: Mobirise templates are also based on Bootstrap 4 I used only the free template/elements.

You did pay to get the footer removed right?

edited March 2021

@seriesn said:
    https://wordpress.org/themes/bootstrap-basic4/

The most simple effortless theme I have worked with.

Integration so smooth, you can’t tell the difference.

https://bytes.nexusbytes.com

LiveCanvas' "PicoStrap" theme is free, super light-weigth and Bootstrap powered. 531KB in size, super clean & simple.

https://picostrap.com/

• I'm out of touch about what these site generators do, but I tend to use a combination of hand-hacked scripts and org-mode export with a little bit of templating in my emacs init. If you want markdown input you could use pandoc to convert it to html. I like very primitive looking pages though, and that's not for everyone.