Proxmox PVE Edge Kernel 5.11.7 Release + Self-hosted Zen 3 Kernel Compiling

Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

Fabian recently updated the Proxmox PVE Edge Kernel release from 5.11.2 to Linux 5.11.7

My AX101 AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Zen 3 server has been running Fabian's 5.11.2 version for some weeks now, without any problems having come to my attention. Thanks to Fabian for making the PVE Edge Kernels available!

Since Fabian's releases do not yet include Zen 3, I've been making progress toward compiling Zen 3 kernels myself.

GCC 11 is required for Zen 3 features. Fabian mentioned that GCC 11 is available in the Debian experimental repository. However, I seem to have compiled GCC 11 myself.

I think I got Fabian's kernel sources by recursive cloning, which takes Proxmox's Ubuntu kernel submodules directly from Ubuntu's repository:

git clone --recursive https://github.com/fabianishere/pve-edge-kernel.git

Cloning the kernel sources this way seemed to take a really long time! Easily more than 10 x the time needed to get the not-identical-but-similar sources from git.kernel.org.

I was sure the clone process had died! Haha! I went off, did other random stuff, came back, and was surprised to see that the process had completed! ?

Next up is finishing the kernel compile. I get further each time. Last try I hit a friendly error which mentioned a Python 3 module. I haven't yet tried to fix. Here's the actual error, in case anybody is curious:

dh: unable to load addon python3: Can't locate Debian/Debhelper/Sequence/python3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Debian::Debhelper::Sequence::python3 module)

Quite a few people here use Proxmox. Is anyone else running Fabian's Edge Kernel?

Do we also have people who compile their own kernels on Proxmox or on other distributions?

Friendly greetings from the Sonoran Desert! ?️

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

Comments

• Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles
  • Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@kwaralala said:
    Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing!

When I write stuff I often wonder whether anyone will care. Your thanks are much appreciated! You make my time and energy spent writing and posting seem much more worth doing! :)

Thanked by (1)kwaralala

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

not that I can understand but it is very interesting.

Thanked by (1)Not_Oles

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@cybertech said:
    not that I can understand but it is very interesting.

Haha! I don't understand either! But, over the years, many people have helped me. :)

Thanked by (1)cybertech

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

Not quite following. How is this different from main PVE? It main missing stuff for zen3 support?

• @havoc said:
    Not quite following. How is this different from main PVE? It main missing stuff for zen3 support?

Latest linux kernel has lot of optimizations for the zen architecture which greatly improves performance in some cases. Proxmox being an enterprise product is still on the LTS kernel that doesn't have any of these updates. Its a trade off between performance and stability.

Thanked by (1)havoc