Almalinux replaces CentOS (stream) as the new (Debian) stable?

cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
edited March 2021 in Industry News

is that right?

which provider will have it on their ISO list first?

https://repo.almalinux.org/almalinux/8/isos/x86_64/

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

Comments

• Almalinux replaces CentOS (stream) as the new Debian?

is that right?

With all due respect, no.

At best, Almalinux replaces CentOS as the new CentOS.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@angstrom said:

Almalinux replaces CentOS (stream) as the new Debian?

is that right?

your right, my bad. title edited.

Thanked by (1)angstrom

• alwyzonalwyzon Hosting Provider

I don‘t think anybody would jump from Debian to AlmaLinux. If you are used to the Debian/Ubuntu way of doing things, you don‘t just start doing stuff the RHEL way. Also, many went with CentOS due to it‘s reputation of reliability and long-term support schedules. Any new distribution might first need to proof itself before it could step into the big footsteps of CentOS. But, as the project is backed by CloudLinux, it might actually stand a good chance in doing that.

— Michael

Alwyzon - Virtual Servers in Austria starting at 4,49 €/month (excl. VAT)

• AbdullahAbdullah Hosting ProviderOG

I added Almalinux to the iso list this morning.

but yea, not replacing debian.

Thanked by (2)cybertech Ouji
  • @cybertech said:

@angstrom said:

is that right?

But it's also not the new Debian stable! :o

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

@angstrom said:

@cybertech said:

@angstrom said:

is that right?

Centos stream > RHEL > Almalinux. won't it be like Debian grade stable then?

:p

• edited March 2021

@cybertech said:

@angstrom said:

@cybertech said:

@angstrom said:

is that right?

Centos stream > RHEL > Almalinux. won't it be like Debian grade stable then?

:p

If the question is

Almalinux replaces CentOS (stream) as the new (Debian) stable?

then I would still say (as I said above) that the answer is no and that

Almalinux replaces CentOS as the new CentOS

is the right answer.

Think about it: the only thing that needs to be replaced is CentOS (not CentOS stream). Debian (stable or not) doesn't need to be replaced. So if we replace CentOS, we get a new CentOS. :)

• TrKTrK
    edited March 2021

I am not too sure about alma linux as around half of my servers are equipped with CentOS7 but when the search for CentOS alternative started i did come across almalinux and ofcourse Oracle Linux and Rocky(WIP). I won't be using almalinux any time soon unless ofcourse i am forced to, then there is oracle linux it's just "rebranded redhat linux" as per oracle and i would really love to test it out if it really is, tbh i am waiting for rocky linux to make debut and see if its the one i will end up going with, only future will tell.

Regards

Edit: i just rechecked rocky forums and according to their march update they will have a release candidate by April 30 let's see if it would another centOS or a new Rocky Linux.

Active lurker nothing more nothing less, want to discuss something? i am all ears!

• waiting for rocky linux

Thanked by (3)TrK Tech2 beagle
  • @TrK said: then there is oracle linux it's just "rebranded redhat linux" as per oracle and i would really love to test it out if it really is

For the most part it is with a few caveats. 1) Install tries to put you on their Oracle Unbreakable kernel by default instead of the Red Hat compatible. UEK versioning doesn't stay stable per major version. 2) Every once in a rare while they'll change the default behavior of some random package. I think last time I saw it was multipath back on OEL6. It changed the filtering somehow - possibly even for the better - but it broke a couple of our scripts.

• @vyas said:

waiting for rocky linux

Can I ask the reasons to wait for Rocky Linux over AlmaLinux?

We'd love to have you join our community:
    http://HostBoards.com/

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Hosting ProviderOG

On the other hand -- now that it's been a couple of months since this CentOS 8 <> Stream change,

Has anyone shifted over to Steam? anything that you see "quite different" so far ? I spun up a VM with CentOS 8 Stream earlier today and it more or less felt the same CentOS to me (I just installed the basic stuff like apache, php, mariadb to see what versions it comes with by default).

Thanked by (1)Offshore_Solutions

CrownCloud - Internet Services | Los Angeles, California | Frankfurt, Germany | Amsterdam, The Netherlands | Atlanta, Georgia | Miami, Florida