Onedrive as a mount on VPS

havochavoc OGContent Writer

How terrible of an idea is this?

Need additional space but none of my existing VMs has enough storage...and I've got 1TB+ of onedrive to spare

Seems to be doable with rclone but not sure how well this will work so wanted to ask if anyone knew before I invested time & effort.

The data won't be important...but it is a DB so not sure how good that'll work with real time

Comments

• I have mounted OneDrive via rclone and used it to stream media from Plex. It had no issues streaming files less than 2GB (TV Shows and such). Network wasn't that great compared to Google Drive but works okayish.

Thanked by (1)havoc
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

@dosai said:
    I have mounted OneDrive via rclone and used it to stream media from Plex. It had no issues streaming files less than 2GB (TV Shows and such). Network wasn't that great compared to Google Drive but works okayish.

Thanks. Expecting this to be pretty low throughput frankly so that should be OK I think...just unsure whether a DB will be happy with a remote sketch backend like that

• @havoc said:

@dosai said:
    I have mounted OneDrive via rclone and used it to stream media from Plex. It had no issues streaming files less than 2GB (TV Shows and such). Network wasn't that great compared to Google Drive but works okayish.

Thanks. Expecting this to be pretty low throughput frankly so that should be OK I think...just unsure whether a DB will be happy with a remote sketch backend like that

Do you mean DB like MySQL DB? That would not be good.

Thanked by (1)yoursunny

@tetech said:

Do you mean DB like MySQL DB? That would not be good.

Yes that kind of DB

Only reason I'm considering it is because it's low value. Distributed node, so if something goes wrong I just delete it. i.e. It's fine if it fails 3 months in. Not so fine if it's 3 days cause hassle

• The issue from my understanding is that OneDrive does not allow partial object updating. So if you have a 1TB table file and update a single row then it is going to really suck. If your DB is read-only then less of a problem.

Thanked by (1)havoc
    edited April 2021

@tetech said:
    The issue from my understanding is that OneDrive does not allow partial object updating. So if you have a 1TB table file and update a single row then it is going to really suck. If your DB is read-only then less of a problem.

Yeah that makes sense unfortunately. It's chunked into 50mb files...but still...a write a second would mean 50mb written every sec. :/

Guess I need a different solution. Cheap storage VPS might work...but need lots of mem too :/

• Sounds like a hetzner auction server is better for this maybe?

Thanked by (1)havoc

@Kaffekopp said:
    Sounds like a hetzner auction server is better for this maybe?

TBH trying to keep this as cheap/ghetto as possible since it won't make any profit.

Think I may have found a solution though. Nexus has +100gb hdd for a very reasonable 1USD according to help articles. Just need to figure out why customization is disabled on mine (probably because it is a once off already)

Thanks all

• AdvinAdvin Hosting Provider
    edited April 2021

I could give you a shared Google Drive for free if you'd like, I have an OG $12/month GSuite business account and I can create unlimited shared drives with unlimited space. Once I add you I can remove myself so I can't see what you put on there, although if it makes you feel more comfortable Rclone has support for encryption. PM me your Google Email. I do understand if you don't trust me.

You cannot run a VM or make a volume off of Google Drive (or Dropbox), I have tried :anguished:. If the database is for infrequently accessed data, it might work well enough. If it's for frequently accessed data, you're better off with an HDD server from OneProvider or a storage VPS from NexusBytes.

I am a representative of Advin Servers

• @Advin said:
    I could give you a shared Google Drive for free if you'd like, I have an OG $12/month GSuite business account and I can create unlimited shared drives with unlimited space. Once I add you I can remove myself so I can't see what you put on there, although if it makes you feel more comfortable Rclone has support for encryption. PM me your Google Email. I do understand if you don't trust me.

You cannot run a VM or make a volume off of Google Drive (or Dropbox), I have tried :anguished:. If the database is for infrequently accessed data, it might work well enough. If it's for frequently accessed data, you're better off with an HDD server from OneProvider or a storage VPS from NexusBytes.

Hi, @RaveX @Lufi

Thanked by (1)fragpic
  • @Advin said: I could give you a shared Google Drive for free if you'd like, I have an OG $12/month GSuite business account and I can create unlimited shared drives with unlimited space. Once I add you I can remove myself so I can't see what you put on there, although if it makes you feel more comfortable Rclone has support for encryption. PM me your Google Email. I do understand if you don't trust me.

You cannot run a VM or make a volume off of Google Drive (or Dropbox), I have tried . If the database is for infrequently accessed data, it might work well enough. If it's for frequently accessed data, you're better off with an HDD server from OneProvider or a storage VPS from NexusBytes.

What is even your end game with this?
    Please give up at this point.

@Advin said: I could give you a shared Google Drive for free if you'd like,

Many thanks for the kind offer.

I ended up just getting a bigger VPS. The whole DB on a rclone system just isn't going to work.