bunny.net (BunnyCDN) - Easter Giveaway Event

Copied from the OGF:

@BunnySpeed said:
Hello :)

At bunny.net, Easter is (obviously) the most important day of the year for us, so we are celebrating it along with our users. As always, we prepared something extra for the LET community as this is where it all started!

Easter Giveaway Event

We are currently running a fun little event for all of our existing users, giving you a chance to win some account credits, T-shirts, or a couple of secret surprise items that I'm sure you will enjoy. If you already have an account, simply log in, spin the wheel, and hopefully you get lucky and win something cool.

My favorite item we're giving away is this mug, but there's other cool stuff we're sending out as well!

Since we have LET close at heart and largely appreciate the love we've received over the years, we also prepared a special promo code as always, giving you $6 of account credits completely free of charge with no payment required.

LET Special Promo Code: LETSTER-2021

This is available both for existing and new users and can be entered on the billing page of your account after confirming your email. The code will expire tomorrow.

Since I last posted, there's also been a whole lot going on, so I also wanted to share some updates about what we've been working on.

🐇 BunnyCDN rebranded as bunny.net

For those that didn't know yet, we rebranded from BunnyCDN to bunny.net. We've grown a crazy amount over the past few years, and so has our vision. To go along with that and our new goal of building a much bigger, better, and faster service with more products, we felt it was also time to update our brand to reflect that. BunnyCDN however remains as one of our products called Bunny CDN.

🖥️ Bunny Stream

One of the first big releases in this direction is Bunny Stream, a better new way to deliver online video where we take care of the whole video process from storage, transcoding, security to actual delivery, while still giving you full control. The only charges are the storage and CDN fees and we take care of all the rest behind the scenes.

🌎 Massive network expansion and SmartEdge™ routing engine

We are trying to constantly push the boundaries of performance and have been hard at work to achieve this. We recently expanded to our 53rd PoP with more coming soon to deliver performance like never before.

To go along with that, we also released our new SmartEdge routing engine that dynamically optimizes and monitors routing based on your content and network metrics in realtime. This allows us to deliver the best possible performance for any request, even for smaller websites.

⚙️ New Edge Rules, features and more cache control

We added multiple new edge rules and cache control options to give you more power than ever in controlling how your content is stored and delivered. We also released multiple new features such as real-time log forwarding, permanent log storage, and Follow Redirects, and more.

🥰 bunny.net partnered with jsDelivr

Finally, not really an update by itself, but something I'm personally very excited about and I wanted to share. bunny.net partnered with jsDelivr as one of the main CDN partners, to help speed up the internet.

That's it for now, but we have huge plans for the future and extremely excited going forward.

Happy Easter! :)

Comments

• Really wanted that mug

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • havochavoc OGContent Writer

FYI info above is wrong...to get the promo field to show you need to both confirm email AND update your billing (no CC)

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • Hey @Bunnyspeed come over here, the theme is greener!

• Dang, promo expired ... And I don't have time to actually use/test the 14 day trial now ...

• @flips said:
    Dang, promo expired ... And I don't have time to actually use/test the 14 day trial now ...

WPLOGOUT
    GET5
    BECLIPSE5
    WPSPEEDMATTERS
    Check if any of these $5 free credit promo codes are still working.

Thanked by (2)flips Freek
  • Thanks, @Naix ! B) Two of them worked, got me $10 ... :#

Thanked by (1)Ganonk
  • @flips said:
    Thanks, @Naix ! B) Two of them worked, got me $10 ... :#

My pleasure!

Nice the GET5 worked for me. Not sure why flips had two work. Either way its a win

• skorupionskorupion Services Provider

@havoc said:
    Nice the GET5 worked for me. Not sure why flips had two work. Either way its a win

WPSPEEDMATERS works got 10 too thx.

Thanked by (1)Ganonk

Crunchbits Technical Support, Technical Writer, and Sales
    Contact me at: +1 (347) 518-1661 or [email protected]

MYBUDDYBEN
    Another code for bunny CDN 10 bucks for free

• always exclusive on LES (LowEndSpecial) :3

@Ganonk said:
    always exclusive on LES (LowEndSpecial) :3

Huh dat a repost from LET

• @skorupion said:
    MYBUDDYBEN

Has expired

@Freek said:

@skorupion said:
    MYBUDDYBEN

Has expired

worked yesterday lol

• anything else? so far I have collected $10 =)

gmm...clearly the codes don't work equally for everyone...maybe country dependent?

• Any particular advantages with BunnyCDN over Cloudflare? Considering giving them a go.

• edited April 2021

@Lee said:
    Any particular advantages with BunnyCDN over Cloudflare? Considering giving them a go.

They do not have a free tier, but they are cheaper than the paid tier of Cloudflare. Performance is great so far and it was real easy to setup with Wordpress. I'm using it on 3 sites now. I didn't hear about Bunny before Easter so their promo definitely worked lol.

I tried Cloudflare in the past and their free CDN was a hit or miss for me. The performance was inconsistent, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. I can imagine Cloudflare uses different PoPs / servers for the free tier though.

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • @Lee said:
    Any particular advantages with BunnyCDN over Cloudflare? Considering giving them a go.

Bunny provides you with all PoPs, while CF only provides you with non congested PoP. And Bunny seems to have a better cache hit rate, at least for me.

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • @Freek said: I can imagine Cloudflare uses different PoPs / servers for the free tier though.

I was thinking that.

• Unfortunately, you can not hide your IP with Bunny and no WAF either.

• @Fritz said:
    Unfortunately, you can not hide your IP with Bunny

You actually can

Frustrated with this - significantly more convoluted than CF. All I want to do is put this between the domain name and the server. A transparent cache if you like.

This seems more like edge storage copies of specific assets & you need to restructure your site to accomodate that? i.e. cdn.mysite.com. At least I think so - documentation doesn't actually explain the big picture. Also not delighted to hear caching the root domain kinda breaks their routing. i.e. Forcing subdomains which hurts SEO.

Will give hosting straight on their storage bucket a try though - that seems like an option and should work for one of my usage case (static site blog that I can push via FTP)

• @havoc said: kinda breaks their routing

This is inevitable for all CDNs, unless they provide an anycast IP (afaik only StackPath and Fastly does it), or host your DNS with them (like CloudFlare). However, I did heard that they are working on a DNS solution, so you can point your root domain as well.

@havoc said: you need to restructure your site to accomodate that

Not quite sure what you mean by that. Bunny works similar to Cloudflare (or any other CDNs for that matter). Bunny itself should respect all cache-control headers like Cloudflare, so you can just pass cache-control: private, no-cache on whatever resource that doesn't need caching. You could also create an edge rule to don't cache anything except for certain file extensions

• lentrolentro Hosting Provider

All it seems to me is like a CloudFlare alternative with cheaper pricing and more difficulty setting up... also only 35 PoPs.

Can someone remind me why to switch to bunny and pay money? Other than the argument that CF is an evil company (which I slightly disagree with, just see their free services to elections and politically sensitive websites).

• @lentro said:
    All it seems to me is like a CloudFlare alternative with cheaper pricing and more difficulty setting up... also only 35 PoPs.

Can someone remind me why to switch to bunny and pay money? Other than the argument that CF is an evil company (which I slightly disagree with, just see their free services to elections and politically sensitive websites).

1. Way better support : They usually answers within hours, while Cloudflare takes few days.
    2. Faster in some regions (especially on APAC regions) : Cloudflare usually routes you through a cheaper PoP, even if it's not the fastest (e.g. I'm in Korea, and I always get routed through LAX or SJC if it's on a non-enterprise plan).
    3. Higher Cache Hit rate : This may differ from person to person, but I usually got higher cache hit rate with bunny. Also, for me, most users are from Korea, and since CF routes them through multiple PoPs (SJC/LAX/PDX/NRT/HND), while Bunny only routes to a single PoP (Seoul), this also helps with cache hits.
    4. Geo-Replicated storage : This speeds up the load time significantly when files are requested from different geo-locations.
    5. Allowed (and meant for) sharing files : It's against Cloudfalre's ToS to create an image/file only domain (e.g. image.mydomain.com).

But I do understand the point. If CF free works for you, I don't see a reason to move to any paid CDN (including Bunny)

Thanked by (2)uptime lentro
    edited April 2021

@sanvit said: Bunny works similar to Cloudflare (or any other CDNs for that matter).

Perhaps I misunderstood what bunny is - I guess I was expecting it to work similar to CF proxy-like nature. i.e. You just put it in between the internet and your server and it caches what it can.

Bunny seems to be more for specific assets, with the root domain still flowing through to server uncached. e.g. on this image (from bunny) the root is still going to the underlying IP, while only the CDN like subdomain goes to bunny. So you effectively have to use a www at a minimum.

Perhaps my insistence on hosting on root is the problem haha

@sanvit said: I don't see a reason to move to any paid CDN (including Bunny)

I've seen some pretty scary reports on hn about CF free sending errors to users (404s etc) & it magically going away after CF pro upgrade. It does seem to be a case of you get what you pay for (though their free is pretty good to be fair)

@sanvit said: This is inevitable for all CDNs, unless they provide an anycast IP

Read up on it & seems like some players (like CF) get around this by also providing nameservers & integrating that. And it sounds like bunny has the same thing in beta at the moment

Thanked by (2)sanvit lentro
  • @havoc said: Frustrated with this - significantly more convoluted than CF.

I agree, tested it and overall not that impressed. I did see a higher cache hit rate but not significantly so.

@havoc said: This seems more like edge storage copies of specific assets & you need to restructure your site to accomodate that? i.e. cdn.mysite.com. At least I think so

Again, agree.

Reverted back to CF. Perhaps Bunny is not the greatest example of an alternative to Cloudflare and others would be more beneficial but I won't try and fix that which isn't broken.

Thanked by (1)lentro
    edited April 2021

@Lee said: I agree, tested it and overall not that impressed.

Minor update - the static site angle works much better.

Basically:
    Domain name > CF DNS > Bunny CDN > Bunny storage

Think I'll stick with it for hosting blogs (Gatsby). It'll effectively scale inifinitely for that given their pricing structure. Also looking to combine this with fly.io for some of the more dynamic elements. Given that they use anycast & have a free tier that should blend well

I used this to set it up.
    https://www.digitalkube.com/host-a-static-html-site-on-bunnycdn/

• williewillie OG
    edited April 2021

Do any of these coupons still work? Edit: I tried (I think) all. Some said invalid, some said "invalid for your account", some said expired, none worked. Oh well.