HostMantis: Fresh Design and Inode Limit removed (unlimited inodes now)

2»

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@rcy026 said:

@bikegremlin said:

I'm having problems when importing a (developed) website from MyW to HostMantis.
    Server just blocks the connection.
    Similar problems with some WP management plugins.

Couldn't pinpoint the problem, but it exists. :(

Just installing WP works (and cloning) . I suspect some firewall related problem, but neither MIke, nor I (which isn't likely in the first place) couldn't figure out what causes the hick-ups.

My money is on their Bitninja protection.
    I have an account at myw.pt which works great, but I cant upload some of the content I was planning on hosting there because Bitninja blocks me whenever I try. Some of the content is documentation which contains filesystem paths and linux commands, and this seems to trigger Bitninja to think it is an attack and blocks my ip.
    I actually tested this by installing a wordpress and then simply trying to paste a part of a shellscript as pure text into a blogpost, and sure enough, I was blocked by Bitninja.

We can remove your website from the WAF system though! :)

• @MikePT said:

@rcy026 said:

@bikegremlin said:

I'm having problems when importing a (developed) website from MyW to HostMantis.

Just installing WP works (and cloning) . I suspect some firewall related problem, but neither MIke, nor I (which isn't likely in the first place) couldn't figure out what causes the hick-ups.

I have an account at myw.pt which works great, but I cant upload some of the content I was planning on hosting there because Bitninja blocks me whenever I try. Some of the content is documentation which contains filesystem paths and linux commands, and this seems to trigger Bitninja to think it is an attack and blocks my ip.
    I actually tested this by installing a wordpress and then simply trying to paste a part of a shellscript as pure text into a blogpost, and sure enough, I was blocked by Bitninja.

I asked if that was possible in ticket #926966, but I interpreted your answer as a no.

Thanked by (1)MikePT
  • MikePTMikePT Hosting ProviderOGServices Provider

@rcy026 said:

@MikePT said:

@rcy026 said:

@bikegremlin said:

I asked if that was possible in ticket #926966, but I interpreted your answer as a no.

wa? Never denied it, reply to that ticket please! :)

• edited April 2021

@MikePT said:

@rcy026 said:

@MikePT said:

@rcy026 said:

@bikegremlin said:

wa? Never denied it, reply to that ticket please! :)

That is true, you did not literally deny it, but since I asked very directly if it was possible to disable it on my account and the answer ignored that question, I took that as a no. Reading the ticket again I can see that we probably just misunderstood eachother. :smile:

edit:
    Sorry to hijack the thread like this, it was not intentional. @MikePT, lets take this to pm/ticket instead. :smile:

• Just to clarify, we have not made it official, but are requesting that resellers using JetBackup create 1 backup job only.

The reason is because there are multiple resellers on any given server and we have seen instances where resellers create multiple backup jobs and the destinations they are creating them for are very slow, therefore taking quite a bit of time to complete.

When you have several resellers with backup jobs like that, it can get to where the jobs are not all completing within the allotted time and then jobs that are supposed to be "Daily" do not complete for several days, which is obviously unacceptable.

There are just not enough hours in the day to complete all the scheduled jobs when resellers are creating multiple jobs in this manner in JetBackup.

Thanked by (2)Lee ialexpw
  • @HostMantis said: hen you have several resellers with backup jobs like that, it can get to where the jobs are not all completing within the allotted time and then jobs that are supposed to be "Daily" do not complete for several days, which is obviously unacceptable.

Well, if that is what's happening then limiting to one is fair, better than removing the option completely.

Thanked by (3)ialexpw Ympker seriesn
  • bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@HostMantis said:
    Just to clarify, we have not made it official, but are requesting that resellers using JetBackup create 1 backup job only.

The reason is because there are multiple resellers on any given server and we have seen instances where resellers create multiple backup jobs and the destinations they are creating them for are very slow, therefore taking quite a bit of time to complete.

When you have several resellers with backup jobs like that, it can get to where the jobs are not all completing within the allotted time and then jobs that are supposed to be "Daily" do not complete for several days, which is obviously unacceptable.

There are just not enough hours in the day to complete all the scheduled jobs when resellers are creating multiple jobs in this manner in JetBackup.

That sounds perfectly reasonable.
    I don't see why you wouldn't make it official.

It's a shared environment, at a budget cost - we must be reasonable.

In my opinion, making it official is better than just deleting the configured JetBackup backup jobs created by a customer, as I've experienced on one of the two reseller accounts. That creates needless extra hassle and worry.

Currently, I'm running weekly JetBackup jobs. One per reseller account. That works fine for me.
    I'd be happy to run the jobs on a recommended week-day, at a recommended time, to reduce the probability of any overload.

But I'd prefer that to be clearly communicated in advance, not after the fact.

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

• @bikegremlin said:

@HostMantis said:
    Just to clarify, we have not made it official, but are requesting that resellers using JetBackup create 1 backup job only.

In my opinion, making it official is better than just deleting the configured JetBackup backup jobs created by a customer, as I've experienced on one of the two reseller accounts. That creates needless extra hassle and worry.

Currently, I'm running weekly JetBackup jobs. One per reseller account. That works fine for me.
    I'd be happy to run the jobs on a recommended week-day, at a recommended time, to reduce the probability of any overload.

We didn't say we weren't going to make it official.

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@HostMantis said:

@bikegremlin said:

@HostMantis said:

We didn't say we weren't going to make it official.

Your hosting is stable, fast, seems quite secure, and the pricing is relatively low, compared to similar-quality hosting.
    But your business policy is still quite... fluctuating - can't find a better word for it.

Now, about the haven't made... might make official - from what I could tell, as a customer:

I had received an email informing me that you "have removed any/all excess jobs" for my account.

After logging in, I could confirm that to have been the case. 2 out of 3 backup jobs had been removed on one of my reseller accounts. (on the other account, I apparently had the time to disable 2 jobs, leaving only one - this time per my choosing - and I hadn't deleted any jobs in case I decided/need to switch from weekly to monthly, or daily backups - preferring the already configured and tested backup jobs, to creating new ones from scratch).

That seems quite official to me.

Thanked by (1)webcraft

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews