RULES RULES RULES RULES RULES + INFO [updated February 9th, 2024]

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG
    edited June 2020

@teamacc said: Thoughts?

As I said, I think If a legitimate separate company is registered, accounted for, then I see no issue with it, if you do it properly it is not a small task.

It is not like the forum is overrun with offers, unlike JB I am not sponsoring crime, or frankly neither am I even lining the pockets of the head honcho by visiting his empire so the 25+ Deadpools there would never happen here.

I would draw a line if the 2 companies were selling the same thing obviously, but if 1 is dedi's one is VPS and they provide me with full transparent registration details I don't see a problem and I don't see this as "Being a dick"

If others feel strongly about this then I am happy to listen as long as it is kept in context/proportion.

Thanked by (1)vpsfuze

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• seriesnseriesn OG
    edited June 2020

@AnthonySmith said:

@teamacc said: Thoughts?

As I said, I think If a legitimate separate company is registered, accounted for, then I see no issue with it, if you do it properly it is not a small task.

It is not like the forum is overrun with offers, unlike JB I am not sponsoring crime, or frankly neither am I even lining the pockets of the head honcho by visiting his empire so the 25+ Deadpools there would never happen here.

I would draw a line if the 2 companies were selling the same thing obviously, but if 1 is dedi's one is VPS and they provide me with full transparent registration details I don't see a problem and I don't see this as "Being a dick"

If others feel strongly about this then I am happy to listen as long as it is kept in context/proportion.

I mean I guess, for now at our current scale, it is okay. But in the long run, it would create chaos as people would try to capitalize whatever loophole exists. (Micro bump cough cough).

It only costs as low as 100 bucks to registers a corporation where I live. I can easily register 6 different one for the price of 1 or 2 ad spots and plaster the forum with "different" products.

You won't be able to tell me I can't because well, "others" could have and it wasn't against the rule.

Granted the forum has less "legal" trouble to deal with. But in these days and age, everything is discrimination and everyone is oppressed.

Might as well nip it in the bud to prevent shadow company/alias etc. Being future proof is good.

Not saying I would do any of the above, since I do consider myself a member of the community before considering myself as a "business" . But if I put a business hat on, well, everyone is a cunt. Let's live it at that.

edited June 2020

Well, if I take the core elements of that.

1. If you register company’s under different people and addresses how could I tell anyway?
    2. If you do it properly and legally and are willing to go through the registration and long term legal implications yourself e.g. accounting requirements, justifying why you are not separating identical tax liabilities to your IRS or equivalent which can lead to jail time or risk your primary entity
    3. Assuming you satisfy point 2 you are still only allowed to post 1 product type every 7 days between your 6 company’s so why would I care?

Just to make that crystal clear again in case the point was missed, if you register a different company for a different product type e.g. shared, VPS, VPN, Dedicated then I don’t see a problem with the separate company’s posting separate overlapping in date offers for the different products.

The initial example was OVH, SYS, Kimsufi, they are all just OVH not separate legal entities.

I guess the issue here I imagine is that if someone is willing to make the effort they could gain a small advantage in advertising rights?

If that is the issue I would be more likely to adapt the rules to allow everyone the ability to separate out offers by product type with overlapping post dates if that makes sense, to take away that advantage and level the playing field.

At the end of the day, the commercial element feeds the community and the community feeds the commercial element, the adverts are welcome, if the volume becomes and issue and 1 negatively impacts the balance of the other I will change it then, not in advance.

Thanked by (1)teamacc

• Not_OlesNot_Oles Hosting ProviderContent Writer

@AnthonySmith said: OVH, SYS, Kimsufi, they are all just OVH not separate legal entities.

I do not have good information about the legal status of the various OVH personalities, so apologies for adding to the noise. I seem to recall hearing somewhere that OVH in the US was a separate legal entity. I seem to need different accounts with different account numbers and different logins for OVH in US, IE, and CA; Soyoustart in CA; and Kimsufi in CA. There are some differences about the available services. For example, ovh.ie seems to sell domain registrations, while ovh.us (which redirects to us.ovhcloud.com) seems not to sell domain registrations.

It seems OVH doesn't post here much since @ninzo59 initially showed up and, if you read the old thread, perhaps somebody jumped on him for violating the rules. I want LES to be as successful as possible. Having OVH here together with our many other hosts might contribute to LES' success.

I hope everyone gets the servers they want!

@Not_Oles well separate companies/legal entities due to different regional locations for tax, legal, accounting reasons is again another matter, that would be considered the same company.

It seems to be the best way for this 'issue' to become a none issue is a simple rule modification that makes it so that you can post 1 per week per product type (Shared, VPS, Dedi, Other) for any individual company, trader or significantly connected group of companies.

Thanked by (1)Abdullah

Rules updated because apparently not dox'ing people needs to be a rule... god damn it 2020!

Thanked by (3)uptime wdmg Hetzner_OL

• @AnthonySmith said:
    Rules updated because apparently not dox'ing people needs to be a rule... god damn it 2020!

Did I miss a drama thread?

edited June 2020

@seriesn said:

@AnthonySmith said:

It was quickly snuffed out and then sadly spilt over on to twitter if you want to find it.

• @AnthonySmith said:

@seriesn said:

@AnthonySmith said:

It was quickly snuffed out.

I should not have been sleeping -.-

Bump, warning added about PM based offers.

• @seriesn said:

I should not have been sleeping -.-

Slacker

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@AnthonySmith said:
    @Not_Oles well separate companies/legal entities due to different regional locations for tax, legal, accounting reasons is again another matter, that would be considered the same company.

It seems to be the best way for this 'issue' to become a none issue is a simple rule modification that makes it so that you can post 1 per week per product type (Shared, VPS, Dedi, Other) for any individual company, trader or significantly connected group of companies.

Rather late post - but just to offer a different perspective/experience:

1)
    Making several different companies/brands does have some pros, but also has cons. In terms of: one strong brand being a lot better than having several unknown ones.
    So, anyone doing the work to diversify - that's legit, with its cons. Not sure such things should be banished at all cost (so I generally agree with your posts on the topic).

2)
    The more rules are made, the more "clever" people find loopholes. One of the forums I have has almost no rules - boils down to "don't be a dick" (written in similar worthing).
    It is left to the owner's/admin's discretion to judge whan one is being a dick, and for 10 years now it's been fine. No reasonable objections to the administration policy. But also no "wise guys" trying to use any loopholes left in the rules.

Thanked by (1)InceptionHosting

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

@bikegremlin yep on point 2 I see the rules here more as guidelines, people break them all the time tbh if it's not doing any harm and there is no obvious malicious intent they are not enforced.

Thanked by (1)bikegremlin

• bikegremlinbikegremlin ModeratorOGContent Writer

@AnthonySmith said:
    @bikegremlin yep on point 2 I see the rules here more as guidelines, people break them all the time tbh if it's not doing any harm and there is no obvious malicious intent they are not enforced.

Yup - simple common sense goes a long way.
    For as long as the administrators are just and honest - it's all good.
    When/if they are not, not even the best rules can help with that.

At least when it comes to running a forum: I'm all for autocracy! :)

Did I have problems with administrators?
    In the past 30 years, twice, on two different forums.
    First one is notorious for having very questionable policy (so I had stopped visiting long time ago).
    The second time? New kids - got warned by a moderator for quoting a sentence in the post above in my reply (the sentence I was replying/referring to). Seems it's modern nowadays to not quote at all. They talked something about smartphones etc. No sense, but it's their forum and their rules (don't contribute there almost at all since then).

Relja of House Novović, the First of His Name, King of the Plains, the Breaker of Chains, WirMach Wolves pack member
    BikeGremlin's web-hosting reviews

rules bump.

• sweatbarsweatbar Hosting Provider

Applied for a tag

PeekaBoo at https://handyhost.net
    (Not affiliated with the Russian Handyhost Website in any way.)

@sweatbar said:
    Applied for a tag

Sorry missed your pm, will check it today

@AnthonySmith said:

@sweatbar said:
    Applied for a tag

Sorry missed your pm, will check it today

Thank you! All done

• @AnthonySmith

Apologies if I have missed or someone else has asked but I am not aware of.

If there is a server that I would like to let go (just simply because of too many idling boxes) at a rate that is significantly lower (non profit making) than the price that I paid, is it allowed to post in LES? Permission in writing has been sought from the provider.

Thanks.

@swat4 said:
    @AnthonySmith

Apologies if I have missed or someone else has asked but I am not aware of.

If there is a server that I would like to let go (just simply because of too many idling boxes) at a rate that is significantly lower (non profit making) than the price that I paid, is it allowed to post in LES? Permission in writing has been sought from the provider.

Thanks.

yep thats fine.

• @AnthonySmith said:

yep thats fine.

May I ask in which category shall the thread be created?
    Thanks in advance.

@swat4 said:

@AnthonySmith said:

yep thats fine.

May I ask in which category shall the thread be created?
    Thanks in advance.

Just general is fine

Thanked by (1)swat4

• I've just tried the flagging function, and it wouldn't let me submit the comment, appearing to say that the comment was too long (it wasn't).

(Perhaps this was a one-time weird behavior, but I thought that I would signal it.)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@angstrom said:
    I've just tried the flagging function, and it wouldn't let me submit the comment, appearing to say that the comment was too long (it wasn't).

(Perhaps this was a one-time weird behavior, but I thought that I would signal it.)

Can't see anything new in the flagged content. Care to try again? Or PM @Mason and me the link to the comment that you flagged.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• @mikho said:

@angstrom said:
    I've just tried the flagging function, and it wouldn't let me submit the comment, appearing to say that the comment was too long (it wasn't).

Can't see anything new in the flagged content. Care to try again? Or PM @Mason and me the link to the comment that you flagged.

I've just flagged this post as a test. It worked.

(My earlier attempt with another post didn't work -- this was clear to me.)

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@angstrom said:

@mikho said:

@angstrom said:

I've just flagged this post as a test. It worked.

(My earlier attempt with another post didn't work -- this was clear to me.)

Got It.....

Hi, Just as a test, I'm trying to flag this post. We'll see whether it works.

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@angstrom said:

It's because the thread name of where you flagged it is too long for the database.... nice lol. Instead of Discussion/Thread ID, it's using Discussion Name as a field for some reason. Nice one, Vanilla!

Thanked by (1)Wolveix

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport

@Mason The main website gives an access Forbidden message mate!

• MasonMason AdministratorOG

@sweatbar said:
    @Mason The main website gives an access Forbidden message mate!

URL? I'm not able to replicate

Head Janitor @ LES • AboutRulesSupport