Cheap Seedbox

Any suggestions for a cheap seedbox in the EU, not really my thing but my son wants one (no, I am not asking what for). The cheaper the better as I told him he is paying for it himself..

Comments

• So your seed wants a seedbox eh ;)

Pulsemedia folks seems to be famous in the le world. It is a seedbox so I doubt it matters what company it is, as long as it is cheap right?

• @seriesn said: I doubt it matters what company it is, as long as it is cheap right

Probably this, lets face it he will be downloading all illegal shit, probably TV/Films

• beaglebeagle OG
    edited May 2021

Pulse Media is not the fastest but it's hard to find a cheaper storage. Keep an eye out at OGF for sales.

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • mikhomikho AdministratorOG

I’ve used these in the past.
    http://seed.st/

Thanked by (1)Lee

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

hostsolutions + swizzin, if they fix their HDD issues. their NVMe only VPS is good.

Thanked by (1)name

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• Seedhost.eu €6 for 1TB

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • @cybertech said:
    hostsolutions + swizzin, if they fix their HDD issues. their NVMe only VPS is good.

I felt libtorrent/rtorrent slower in Swizzin than rtinst script . Shifted to rtinst then on .

Thanked by (1)cybertech

@kuduku said:

@cybertech said:

I felt libtorrent/rtorrent slower in Swizzin than rtinst script . Shifted to rtinst then on .

swizzin is easy install with webpanel and choice of many other services. that would explain using more resources I guess. very light user of private torrent, but have no issues hitting 70MB/s and seeding to 1:1.

• @cybertech said:

@kuduku said:

@cybertech said:

swizzin is easy install with webpanel and choice of many other services. that would explain using more resources I guess. very light user of private torrent, but have no issues hitting 70MB/s and seeding to 1:1.

Probably yes , the interface rutorrent always felt slow . Happy with rtinst so continuing with it

@kuduku said:

@cybertech said:

@kuduku said:

@cybertech said:

Probably yes , the interface rutorrent always felt slow . Happy with rtinst so continuing with it

oh yes your right. rutorrent is slow.

• @cybertech said: hostsolutions

Lol, no.

@dosai said: Seedhost.eu €6 for 1TB

Seems reasonable, given them a try, thanks.

• havochavoc OGContent Writer

@Lee said: my thing but my son wants one

If you're spending money anyway, may I suggest looking into usenet instead? Similar usage case, much less legal risk

Unless its a peer pressure thing from his friends in which case you're kinda stuck

I'd probably go for something specifically outside the EU though

Thanked by (1)Lee
  • a cheap dedi from oneprovider in france? (online.net resell)

• Not a seedbox, but a download service.
    You can download all the torrents you want to, no limits whatsoever. But theirs no seeding option, only download.

Been around since 2009: Real Debrid

• AlphaVPS.eu

The all seeing eye sees everything...

• On a similar note, what torrent clients do you guys recommend? I will start torrenting from my home server soon.

• @Ouji said:
    On a similar note, what torrent clients do you guys recommend? I will start torrenting from my home server soon.

If your ISP is permissive with torrent traffic, my go to is qbittorent, with transmission coming second.

If your ISP ban/throttle torrent traffic, use transmission docker with built-in vpn .
    My ISP throttle plain P2P traffic, the docker app with cheap VPN plan helps bypass this.

P.S. dont forget to get the supported VPN for the docker app, that allows torrenting and no logging.

Thanked by (2)Ouji chimichurri
  • If you want a software stack that is managed for you and "just works" and don't mind sharing a bare metal server with others, the value seedboxes with PulsedMedia are a great bang for the buck option.

My current solution is a $7/mo. low end dedi from OneProvider (Online.net) with a C2350, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, and Fair Share 1Gbps unmetered, with swizzin + rutorrent. Have had some days where I've hit 1-2TB in a week repeatedly and they haven't made a fuss. HDD performance is acceptable but definitely the limiting factor, it tops out at around 50-70MB/s writes and reads.

Cheap dedis are my drug, and I'm too far gone to turn back.

• OujiOuji OG
    edited May 2021

@milkboy said: If your ISP is permissive with torrent traffic, my go to is qbittorent, with transmission coming second.

If your ISP ban/throttle torrent traffic, use transmission docker with built-in vpn .
    My ISP throttle plain P2P traffic, the docker app with cheap VPN plan helps bypass this.

P.S. dont forget to get the supported VPN for the docker app, that allows torrenting and no logging.

Thanks for the recommendations. A lot of people talk about rtorrent, I was gonna install that with flood, now I might as well just use qbitorrent (which I already use on my desktop).

My ISP doesn't give a shit about torrenting. Sometimes people get extrajudicial letters, but they lead to nothing.

• edited May 2021

@xowxenxirix said:
    Kimsufi + Swizzin:

i3, 2TB, 100Mbps, Canada: https://www.kimsufi.com/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=1804sk181

Wow, what the..? What is this link? I mean, the list price for KS-7 on https://www.kimsufi.com/en/servers.xml is €14.99 ex. VAT
    NVM, found the answer here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/157846/kimsufi-flash-sale-ks-7-i3-on-fr-ca-datacenter (tl;dr it's an old flash sale link that's still active for some reason)

(BTW, for some reason this link includes VAT even though I'm outside of the EU... but whatever, it's still cheaper ;)
    https://www.kimsufi.com/us/en/order/kimsufi.xml?reference=1804sk181 (link for the exact same server for orders from outside the EU, without VAT, yay!)

Also, for clarification, is Kimsufi one of those "DMCA ignored" ones, or is this a suggestion for private trackers only?
    (I'm asking because on /r/seedboxes I read that, while public trackers were definitely a no-no, there apparently were people who were using Hetzner for the latter)

@terrorgen said:
    AlphaVPS.eu

Site is timing out, any chance you meant AlphaVPS.com? (this one is working fine)

@Ouji said:
    On a similar note, what torrent clients do you guys recommend? I will start torrenting from my home server soon.

aria2 - VERY lightweight, but with just the minimum features required - should be OK, as long as you're fine with that, provided you'd be comfortable with a command line interface

Thanked by (1)Ouji

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• Sorry for double posting, but I can't edit my previous post anymore ><'

@donko Are you a current/former customer of theirs? Can you confirm whether public trackers would be OK? Last but not least, do you mean Paris and/or Amsterdam?

@CamoYoshi Same question: PAR? AMS? Are you using public trackers? If so, any problems so far? (e.g. any forwarded DMCA notice)

Contribute your idling VPS/dedi (link), Android (link) or iOS (link) devices to medical research

• @chimichurri said: @donko Are you a current/former customer of theirs? Can you confirm whether public trackers would be OK? Last but not least, do you mean Paris and/or Amsterdam?

i have 2 months with a atom server on Paris and yes i use it to download from public trackers (movies, anime and stuff warez like that), i leave seed for 72h on every file, then goes deleted automatically

no dmca or abuse tickets received (yet)

Thanked by (1)chimichurri
  • @chimichurri said:
    Sorry for double posting, but I can't edit my previous post anymore ><'

@CamoYoshi Same question: PAR? AMS? Are you using public trackers? If so, any problems so far? (e.g. any forwarded DMCA notice)

AMS - I am using public trackers, but my torrents have mostly consisted of corporate data leaks and older games for the most part. No forwarded DMCA requests at this time.

Thanked by (1)chimichurri

• edited June 2021

@CamoYoshi said:
    mostly consisted of corporate data leaks

Wut? Why?

• @rajprakash said:

@CamoYoshi said:
    mostly consisted of corporate data leaks

Wut? Why?

Why not?