cociu - hostsolutions.ro - NETSILVANIA | Bankruptcy/dead pool?

Looks like @cociu might be in some financial trouble thus the downtime.
netsilvania/hostsolutions.ro are listed as being a debtor to GTS telecom with a court date next week. GTS telecom was his old upstream before he switched to single homed telia.

It also looks like his company has been operating at a large loss last year.

Financial details - https://lege5.ro/firma/netsilvania-network-srl-37899217
Court/debt details - http://portal.just.ro/302/SitePages/Dosar.aspx?id_dosar=30200000000442000&id_inst=302#Informaţii_generale

Tagged:

Comments

• Given their woefully shit service overall in the last few years I would not connect the above to current downtime as downtime is hardly an unusual thing for them. Not saying the above, whatever it relates to will not be a problem for them.

• I would say that's not really a surprise, the prices of hostsolutions.ro are simply too low and definitely not sustainable.

• @miegl said:
    I would say that's not really a surprise, the prices of hostsolutions.ro are simply too low and definitely not sustainable.

Didn't he say he was making money through a perfumery as main business?

• knowing cociu for some years now, he must have an explanation, he always does

lets give him time to explain downtime first then the above website.

• According to that website he is 60keuro in debt with only 700euro in the bank.

• @ehab said:
    lets give him time to explain downtime first then the above website.

One looks like the official Romanian justice ministries website so is unlikely not to be the reason given the court date.

• Hmm, isn't the downtime related to the 10G uplink upgrade he had/was planning?

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

@webcraft said:

@miegl said:
    I would say that's not really a surprise, the prices of hostsolutions.ro are simply too low and definitely not sustainable.

Didn't he say he was making money through a perfumery as main business?

I also heard this. That the perfumes (and other goods) was his primary income that paid for the losses he made in the hosting business.

@MikePT did some work for @cociu if I remember correct. Perhaps he knows something about the situation?

Thanked by (1)webcraft

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• having to fight in court over an old contract where some vendor still wants money that the other party refused to pay for some reason should be nothing completely out of the ordinary and more likely a risk a company of a certain size will take to fight for.
    if 60k put his company at a real risk then it's either much smaller than everyone thought or he has other financial troubles already.

Thanked by (1)Janevski
  • Why would someone intentionally want to charge so low that his "business" remains in continuous loss?

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

• @mikho said: I also heard this. That the perfumes (and other goods) was his primary income

If I recall correctly his hosting Paypal account was cancelled due to all the chargebacks and he then started using a perfume company Paypal which is where that came to light he had that business.

@ehab said: knowing cociu for some years now, he must have an explanation, he always does

He only ever offers explanations/promises and so on. Nothing ever improves.

• @Lee said: and he then started using a perfume company Paypal which is where that came to light he had that business.

Actually, it's been known for a long time that he's had a perfume company -- he's never tried to hide it. (Though it may have been news to some people.)

But there was an issue with PayPal + his hosting company, which is why he switched to PayPal + his perfume company.

Thanked by (1)Janevski

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• @angstrom said: But there was an issue with PayPal + his hosting company, which is why he switched to PayPal + his perfume company.

yeah he told that at one point... I wonder how this should make things better. it's a bit like filing for bancruptcy and having your wife opening/continuing the very same business under her name then.

• I remember also that perfume name, but the last time his account was "SC Netsilvania Network SRL". His AS44220 and some of the net descriptions still name "Parfumuri Femei.com SRL"

• @bjo said:
    I remember also that perfume name, but the last time his account was "SC Netsilvania Network SRL". His AS44220 and some of the net descriptions still name "Parfumuri Femei.com SRL"

https://www.parfumurifemei.com/ asks me to disable my AdBlock... really, on a webshop?

• Seems to be no webshop any more, domain is parked and has some SEO sh*t.

Thanked by (1)Freek
  • debaserdebaser OG
    edited May 2021

@Falzo said:
    having to fight in court over an old contract where some vendor still wants money that the other party refused to pay for some reason should be nothing completely out of the ordinary and more likely a risk a company of a certain size will take to fight for.

That’s true, however it’s not the first time he switched carriers overnight. There’s a pattern there. Also, at least some servers appeared to have been moved from Oradea to Bucharest, which could be a sign. Maybe he was using GTS dark fiber in Oradea too.

if 60k put his company at a real risk then it's either much smaller than everyone thought or he has other financial troubles already.

Maybe both. Let’s be honest, I don’t think he ever sold a VM at the normal pricing. He always has some crazy sale and then there’s the ongoing credit offers.

Cociu’s services are good for what they are: very cheap storage boxes with no uptime guarantee. But you really need to have a massive volume to make that profitable.

Thanked by (1)Falzo
  • @bjo said:

Seems to be no webshop any more, domain is parked and has some SEO sh*t.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190213021513/http://www.parfumurifemei.com/
    Since 2019, so nothing changed.

Thanked by (1)Janevski
  • cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

shit. I didn't pay an annuals but recently did a top up. should I be asking for refound?

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• @cybertech said:
    shit. I didn't pay an annuals but recently did a top up. should I be asking for refound?

Raise a tiket

• Although I experienced many down time before, but I feel the end is nigh this time.

Thanked by (1)webcraft

Action and Reaction in history

• mikhomikho AdministratorOG

To much money on sisters???

(To soon????)

Thanked by (1)rajprakash

“Technology is best when it brings people together.” – Matt Mullenweg

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King

I have a feeling it might be ryzen related

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• I hope that cociu pulls through this, but the present signs don't look especially encouraging. In particular, if it's true that his perfume business is no longer operating, this may be a worrisome sign.

"A single swap file or partition may be up to 128 MB in size. [...] [I]f you need 256 MB of swap, you can create two 128-MB swap partitions." (M. Welsh & L. Kaufman, Running Linux, 2e, 1996, p. 49)

• It has surprised me every day he manages to survive to the next. I have long since suspected the double credits deals and other ridiculous offers are simply keeping the wolves from the door for another x period and then another deal does the same. Very pyramid-like is the way I have seen that operation.

Never used them and never would. Even today they still want you to agree to terms/conditions that don't exist.

Thanked by (4)bjo Amitz beagle AlwaysSkint
  • Anyone with a server due renewal there?
    Got a shitbox that is already a week over due date. No invoice, no nothing.

Not that I care about it, just wondering.

• @benz said:
    Anyone with a server due renewal there?
    Got a shitbox that is already a week over due date. No invoice, no nothing.

Not that I care about it, just wondering.

Me. No invoice, nothing. Actually the VPS went up after the due date too, while it was down for 2-3 weeks before.

Thanked by (1)benz
  • @Lee said:
    It has surprised me every day he manages to survive to the next. I have long since suspected the double credits deals and other ridiculous offers are simply keeping the wolves from the door for another x period and then another deal does the same. Very pyramid-like is the way I have seen that operation.

Never used them and never would. Even today they still want you to agree to terms/conditions that don't exist.

I have never used them as well, his outlet always looked fishy to me because of consistently offering unsustainable pricing. If someone is offering good deals on BF/Xmas/New year/Eid/Anniversary that is something I can understand but with some hosts it is quite obvious that they are either running a pump & dump or pyramid scheme. But unfortunately in the LE* world, people seem to be always ready to fall prey to such gimmicks.

Thanked by (2)yoursunny Amitz

Recommend: MyRoot.PW|BuyVM|Inception Hosting|Prometeus

• @vpsgeek3333 said: If someone is offering good deals on BF/Xmas/New year/Eid/Anniversary that is something I can understand but with some hosts it is quite obvious that they are either running a pump & dump or pyramid scheme

The very first red flag for me was the fact they were entirely reliant on the crazy offers. They are not some provider like say Prometeus that was already big on the corporate side but threw out cheap offers for everyone just to fill some space, in other words, they could afford to lose on them.

@vpsgeek3333 said: But unfortunately in the LE* world, people seem to be always ready to fall prey to such gimmicks.

Not really sure many 'fall prey' to these gimmicks, they know fine well how absurd many of the deals are. They go in eyes wide open only to throw their arms up in outrage when it goes wrong.

Not suggesting they are Deadpool but it does seem suspicious that they had 'issues' with GTS and 'made the decision' to move to Telia now GTS is suing them for a 60k EUR debt. So it does appear that GTS was cutting them off due to unpaid debts.

Thanked by (3)bdl vpsgeek3333 Amitz
  • He had a lot of storage servers, perhaps he moved it all to chia mining. It would make him way more money than selling VPS at a loss.

This discussion has been closed.