cociu - hostsolutions.ro - NETSILVANIA | Bankruptcy/dead pool?

Comments

• @willie said:
    How much more IP space does he have left?

He has 3584 on his AS of which 1792 are his own. So I know some people will say "that's enough to give his customers a new IPv4". And while this might be true it's unethical to just unannounce a /22 with paying customers' vps'es still provisioned in this subnet and put it up for auction.

If this was done to sell of excess assets cociu should just have given his customers a new IP before doing so.

Thanked by (2)RapToN chimichurri
  • he is dumping his business, at least a bigger and most likely not profitable part of it. easy as that. maybe he just had enough or he is forced to... who knows. maybe he already sold shit back when the sudden hardware moves and that fancy tunneling shit came up.

this is ridiculous. if it weren't for IT sector but regular trade or craft business, people simply go bankrupt and the wife has to reopen business. or if it is another fail already then some liquidator will auction the assets... oh, wait.

in the end all speculation doesn't matter. at this point anyone who still had the option should have tried to get their money back. on any service, no matter up or down or whatever. there will be enough stress with paypal anyway, so that this will break his other business too if it isn't finished already.

• williewillie OG
    edited June 2021

A few months back my storage kvm changed from a different address to the range that was just sold. Now I wonder whether that was also some kind of asset sale. I don't think I have any chance of getting money back but I figured I was taking a chance when I bought in the first place, and I think I'm not in for that much rn. This is overall less annoying than some other deadpool stories I've seen or been in (remember zxhost).

• @willie said: remember zxhost

I remember quite well and to be honest it seems very similar. only back then I had services and tried to encourage Ashley for more and better communication and even help with posting mails he sent.

opposite to now there was some communication at least, however the whole business only went downhill from certain point and especially after paypal chargebacks broke his neck financially. he also spent way too much time trying to fix shit instead of more quickly letting go and recreate...

said that I also consider myself part of the problem on the way down, because obviously at some point I disputed were possible and soon enough. whit that I did not make any real losses after all other than having to rebuild part of my backup infra somewhere else at a bit more expense.

I would say hostsolutions show right now would be much more annoying, if I'd be a customer and not just a bystander, because most payments seem out of the reclaimable window for a lot of people. and trying to keep the faith in something coming back... nah. but... maybe that's just me ;-)

tl;dr; Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

Thanked by (1)beagle
  • It looks true indeed, dang.

• @Falzo said: he is dumping his business

I am very inclined to believe this. Most likely a messy restructuring.

• cybertechcybertech OGBenchmark King
    edited June 2021

noticed my NVMe VPS "down" a few hours back. was gonna chargeback later , but seems like just network changes. back online and no VM downtime. damn.

but wait something feels different with the network. let me test it

ok nothing wrong yet, speed is 5gbps, latency to be observed

I bench YABS 24/7/365 unless it's a leap year.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited June 2021

@cybertech said:
    noticed my NVMe VPS "down" a few hours back. was gonna chargeback later , but seems like just network changes. back online and no VM downtime. damn.

but wait something feels different with the network. let me test it

ok nothing wrong yet, speed is 5gbps, latency to be observed

Yup. Still the same

https://pastebin.com/tNUN0Adf

For reference:
    Earlier in the week

https://talk.lowendspirit.com/discussion/comment/65861/#Comment_65861

Thanked by (2)cybertech mikho
  • RahulRahul OG
    edited June 2021

@Falzo said:

@willie said: remember zxhost

I remember quite well and to be honest it seems very similar. only back then I had services and tried to encourage Ashley for more and better communication and even help with posting mails he sent.

opposite to now there was some communication at least, however the whole business only went downhill from certain point and especially after paypal chargebacks broke his neck financially. he also spent way too much time trying to fix shit instead of more quickly letting go and recreate...

said that I also consider myself part of the problem on the way down, because obviously at some point I disputed were possible and soon enough. whit that I did not make any real losses after all other than having to rebuild part of my backup infra somewhere else at a bit more expense.

I would say hostsolutions show right now would be much more annoying, if I'd be a customer and not just a bystander, because most payments seem out of the reclaimable window for a lot of people. and trying to keep the faith in something coming back... nah. but... maybe that's just me ;-)

tl;dr; Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

Here's a snip, blast from the past for you

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • @Rahul said:

Here's a snip, blast from the past for you

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Lesson learnt. ;-)

Thanked by (2)Falzo mikho
  • Can someone do a TL;DR for me please? I've been away for a few months and the thread on OGF is almost at 50 pages.

• edited June 2021

@saibal said: Can someone do a TL;DR for me please?

If you were daft enough to purchase from HS and are concerned that your service is down or no longer exists, then you have big issues. :s

Thanked by (1)saibal

It wisnae me! A big boy done it and ran away.
    NVMe2G for life! until death (the end is nigh)

• vyasvyas OG
    edited June 2021

@AlwaysSkint said:

@saibal said: Can someone do a TL;DR for me please?

If you were daft enough to purchase from HS and are concerned that your service is down or no longer exists, then you have big issues. :s

That, and the fact that Stockholm syndrome has well set into default, dahartigan, jsg and others. Thought the latter seem to have developed split personalities. And yes, one of those threads where Fran is very vocal.

• [@vyas said]: dahartigan
    [@vyas said]: dahartigan

Looks like someone has a crush on me? ;)

Thanked by (1)_MS_

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• vyasvyas OG
    edited June 2021

Crush = tag
    Conversely,

No tag =no crush
    Sorry mate my crush quota is full

Thanked by (1)Falzo
  • @vyas said:
    Sorry mate my crush quota is full

Those poor souls..

Get the best deal on your next VPS or Shared/Reseller hosting from RacknerdTracker.com - The original aff garden.

• @dahartigan said:

Looks like someone has a crush on me? ;)

Either that, or his keyboard is well and truly involucraunataunted.

Thanked by (1)dahartigan
  • AlwaysSkint said: If you were daft enough to purchase from HS and are concerned that your service is down or no longer exists, then you have big issues.

TY for the summary. HS goes down every few months, what was surprising was the 50 page thread on that. Anyways, I don't have services with HS. The only EU services I have are with Ant and Mikho.

Thanked by (1)mikho
  • At least with ZXHost, Ashley had some initial communication about his recovery efforts. He just didn't have sufficient spare capacity to rebalance lost OSDs. Since that time, ceph best practices and reference implementations have increased recommended overcapacity considerably. I think he might have been able to save the business if he'd just given up on the data, recreated the cluster afresh, and given everyone partial refunds.

With HS, the expectations were already low; you get what you pay for.

Thanked by (1)ialexpw
  • @seanho said:
    At least with ZXHost, Ashley had some initial communication about his recovery efforts. He just didn't have sufficient spare capacity to rebalance lost OSDs. Since that time, ceph best practices and reference implementations have increased recommended overcapacity considerably. I think he might have been able to save the business if he'd just given up on the data, recreated the cluster afresh, and given everyone partial refunds.

With HS, the expectations were already low; you get what you pay for.

Well in some cases you don't get anything you've already paid for.

Thanked by (2)mikho ialexpw

I'm the 85%. Also Elon likes memes hence he's an idiot.

• Now cociu seems to sell the infrastructure in internet romanian websites. What tht hellll!!!!

Dentistry is my passion

• @Chievo said:
    Now cociu seems to sell the infrastructure in internet romanian websites. What tht hellll!!!!

Whoops... Do you have a link at hand?

Amitz, a very stable genius (it's true!) and Grand Rectumfier of the official LESLOS® (LES League of Shitposters).
    Certified braindead since 1974 and still perfectly happy.

• @Amitz said:

@Chievo said:
    Now cociu seems to sell the infrastructure in internet romanian websites. What tht hellll!!!!

You have screenshots and links on the another forum. It appears the phone number and private info so .......not great idea to share it here

Dentistry is my passion

• @Chievo said:

Just for reference: https://www.olx.ro/oferte/user/3Lki/

If you look at the phone number, it's the same he listed on RIPE.

https://www.ripe.net/membership/indices/data/ro.netsilvania.html

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • @Amitz said:

@Chievo said:

https://www.olx.ro/oferte/user/3Lki/

Username is Marius, coming from Oradea.
    Everything is posted on May 31st.

Thanked by (1)Amitz
  • I was thinking that he was a nice/ good person with some bad time . some technical problems or lack of knowledge or shit happens but from now ......i do not know

Dentistry is my passion

• serverianserverian Hosting Provider

@serverian said:
    He's probably using these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL380e-Gen8-Storage-Server-Dual-8-Core-E5-2450L-P420-1GB-14x-LFF-Bay-/274431553423 (Correct me if I'm wrong)

These have 12 x 3.5" slots and 2 x 2.5" slots.

I would assume he uses the 3.5" ones for HDDs and 2.5" ones as OS disks.

These are 2U.

Let's say he uses 46U racks (rare but let's assume)

And let's say he only puts servers in these and don't use 1U for TOR switch.

Then he can load 23 x 2U servers in a rack.

23 * 12 = 276 3.5" HDDs.

So for 400 HDDs, he needs another rack.

So he had 1.4 racks worth of servers (33.3 total) failed with a power outage.

Again, 33.3 servers had RAID failure with a power outage at the same time.

He should be suing the power company and RAID card manufacturer along with the HDD manufacturer for damages.

I was right: https://www.olx.ro/d/oferta/storage-server-hp-dl380e-g8-2xe5-2450l-16gb-p420-1gb-fbw-14-hdd-IDcJCdM.html#7e3dc64476

Thanked by (2)mikho tomazu
  • @serverian said:

@serverian said:
    He's probably using these: https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-Proliant-DL380e-Gen8-Storage-Server-Dual-8-Core-E5-2450L-P420-1GB-14x-LFF-Bay-/274431553423 (Correct me if I'm wrong)

These have 12 x 3.5" slots and 2 x 2.5" slots.

I would assume he uses the 3.5" ones for HDDs and 2.5" ones as OS disks.

These are 2U.

Let's say he uses 46U racks (rare but let's assume)

And let's say he only puts servers in these and don't use 1U for TOR switch.

Then he can load 23 x 2U servers in a rack.

23 * 12 = 276 3.5" HDDs.

So for 400 HDDs, he needs another rack.

So he had 1.4 racks worth of servers (33.3 total) failed with a power outage.

Again, 33.3 servers had RAID failure with a power outage at the same time.

He should be suing the power company and RAID card manufacturer along with the HDD manufacturer for damages.

I was right: https://www.olx.ro/d/oferta/storage-server-hp-dl380e-g8-2xe5-2450l-16gb-p420-1gb-fbw-14-hdd-IDcJCdM.html#7e3dc64476

A server for 280 euros?

Dentistry is my passion

• he will break our hearts if he closing shop and running away.

• @ehab said:
    he will break our hearts if he closing shop and running away.

Be prepared unfortunately it seems that this is not reversible move :(

Dentistry is my passion

This discussion has been closed.