How Is NordVPN Unblocking Disney+?

2»

Comments

• InceptionHostingInceptionHosting Hosting ProviderOG

@notty said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    So breaking this down in to super simple terms, if all the IOT things were to universally patch their shit, the VPN providers employing this tactic are dead?

I haven't seen any proof that they are actually using compromised IoT devices. Most likely that they get access via dubious "free" apps that unwitting consumers have installed - see the quote from the legal document I posted above. Still pretty dodgy mind you.

Ok so a change to that law to build actual accountability in to that practice end to end and their business model fails then?

Thanked by (1)MikeA

https://inceptionhosting.com
    Please do not use the PM system here for Inception Hosting support issues.

• NyrNyr OG
    edited December 2019

@AnthonySmith said:
    So breaking this down in to super simple terms, if all the IOT things were to universally patch their shit, the VPN providers employing this tactic are dead?

There's also the typical compromised desktop I'd guess, they don't depend on IoT, it's just another source.

@notty said:

@AnthonySmith said:

I haven't seen any proof that they are actually using compromised IoT devices. Most likely that they get access via dubious "free" apps that unwitting consumers have installed - see the quote from the legal document I posted above. Still pretty dodgy mind you.

See the second paper which identified specific devices. Apps installed in your printer? In your webcam? Sorry but I seriously doubt it.

• Nyr said: Apps installed in your printer? In your webcam? Sorry but I seriously doubt it.

That's not what I meant. Look at the list of apps posted above and you'll see they are mainly android apps (“EMI Calculator”,
    “Automatic Call Recorder”, “IPTV Manager for VL”).

Nyr said: See the second paper which identified specific devices.

I assume you mean this paper. I must be missing something here. The paper doesn't mention NordVPN anywhere, so I don't see how it is relevant?

Hey, maybe they do use IoT botnets, but I'm not seeing any smoking gun evidence here.

root@notty

• NyrNyr OG
    edited December 2019

notty said: That's not what I meant. Look at the list of apps posted above and you'll see they are mainly android apps (“EMI Calculator”, “Automatic Call Recorder”, “IPTV Manager for VL”).

Yeah, I'll give you that. Each network will have different recruitment methods and while I'm sure that they do this (everyone in the industry does and if not they directly, the people they pay for recruitment do), there is no evidence about that specifically.

That said, 4G networks would usually be used for other stuff which is not streaming, since they are more expensive that landline residential bandwidth. They are for example used for Instagram bot accounts because the NAT usually present in mobile networks means that the social networks have much more trouble filtering bots than they would from a residential connection with a single dedicated IP address.

• Sigh. Actually that's a good idea. If the traffic is coming from a residential IP most hosts won't suspect foul play or that it's from a VPN or proxy. The only issue is that there is no user consent. They should have offers that give something back to those that want to host the VPN servers.

If it’s not broken, keep fixing it until it is. Blink twice if you agree.